Hollow Points not loading in to PT-25 magazine

Discussion in 'Taurus Forum' started by bikerlbf406, Sep 8, 2013.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I just got my PT-25 home today after getting it out of lay a way a few days ago. One the first things I did was go to load the mag up with my hollow points. The ammo I have is Hornady XTP 35 grain. The first 5 rounds load fine in to the mag, however for the 6th & more rounds, they stay flat at a 180 degrees instead of being at an incline like they're supposed to be. Also if you load 6 or more rounds the mag will not lock in place in the gun, as well as all of the rounds are hard as heck to come out of the magazine. I tried my Remington FMJ ammo and it loads all 9 rounds without a problem, comes out of the mag easily and the mag will lock in place in the gun, so the problem has to be with the Hornady ammo and not the mag. Anyone else have any problems loading hollow points in their PT-25? A guy on the other forum I'm on said let the loaded mag sit 3-4 days and retry the Hornady ammo, I plan to give it a week or so and then retry it. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

It almost sounds like its the spring in the magazine, although I'm not sure since you tried FMJs.

Maybe take the magazine apart and give the spring a good cleaning and inspect it and see if it seems odd to you.

Otherwise try talking to Hornady and explain the problem. Maybe they'll refund you or something.

3. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I'm not worried about a refund on the ammo as I bought the box of ammo before I even put the gun on lay a way as I have the other.25 Auto I own, and the ammo works perfect for it.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I agree that most feed problems are related to the magazine.

5. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Well I planned on ordering me another mag anyway as I always like to have at least 2 mags for my guns, so I'll wait and see if the new one has the same problem. If it doesn't, I'll know its this mag acting up and will talk to Taurus to see if they can replace it since I just bought the gun brand new.

6. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Alright I couldnt sleep tonight and since I was wide awake I decided to screw around with the mag on the Taurus. I was finally able to get all 9 rounds to load and to get the mag to lock in place in the gun with the HP's in it, which is more than I could get it to do the other day. However from the 6th-9th round it still wants to sit in the mag flat at 180 degrees instead of the usual slight incline......and the rounds are not the easiest to come out of the mag.......so I'm not sure if it will fire without problems but I guess I'll just have to try it out at the range when I go and see how it does. Also I did just order me a spare mag off Ebay for it last night as I like to always have more then 1 mag for my firearms.

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I'm not familiar with the mags for the gun. Can they be disassembled and inspected? Sounds like there may be a problem as the sprig collapses.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Before worrying about how many hollow points you can fit in the gun you may want to make sure it will cycle them reliably.
    BTW I'd recommend sticking with fmjs anyway.

9. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

That's the next thing I gotta find out, is if they will cycle through the gun alright and feed alright. However if not, I'll contact Taurus and see what they recommend since the gun is brand new. I know a lot of people don't want to use hollow points in a .25 as they don't feel it offers enough penetration however I do feel with the proper hollow points such as Hornady XTP it does offer more then enough penetration to get the job done.

10. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I agree that it does sound like a problem as the spring collapses, I just don't know how to fix the problem myself. If the mag does disassemble I wouldn't know how.

11. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Well my 2nd mag came in today, its a Promag 10 round. It loads the exact same way as the old mag, and all 10 loads fine and it locks in place in the gun, just they're flat and not at an incline.....haven't made it to the range yet to know if they'll fire like this or not. I'm thinking maybe something about the way these mags are made that they just aren't going to sit an incline like most guns.