Hollow points at war

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by kcolg, Jan 28, 2012.

1. kcolg

kcolg New Member

If I'm correct the military can't use hollow points at war, I believe it's for "humanitary " reasons...You are at war...I mean isn't a little late for humanitary reasons by then...? As naif as this might sound I'm still curious about ,anybody...?

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Its the Geneva convention,they forbid hollow point ammunition in ANY weapon that is used by our military. They say that it can cause "undue suffering" to our enemies, so its FMJ only.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

True but we got to dump Napalm in Nam :D
    Now thats a LOT more humain that a HP to the head :rolleyes:

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I agree, a HP is alot faster than watching a man burn to death... I also heard that they threw a fit whenever we started using the .50bmg round in sniper configurations.. I just cant see a person suffering much after getting hit in the chest with a .50

5. kcolg

kcolg New Member

That's exactly what I mean...

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

:eek:
    Me neither :eek:

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

.50 cal is supposed to be anti material only, for vehicles and such.

It works great when you aim at an enemy's weapon while they're holding it though.

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Wordsmiths we are not.
    War = Where bodies are blown apart, limbs severed, lives forever lost?
    Humanitary = where conditions of the human and humane aspects are sought to laud and nourish?
    How does the two marry into a sentence not suspected of schziophenia? Weapons of unimaginable power
    and dynamics are used in war. How is it that 'hallow points' topples the table at the Geneva convention?
    :confused:

9. kcolg

kcolg New Member

Exactly! .

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I bet, ive seen videos of the .50 hitting human targets. I saw a pink mist followed by "things" that were once attached flying in the air. Quite impressive

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is OK to use land mines and IED's though. It is also thought by some that a wounded combatant needs a couple of people to tend and evacuate so it takes more people out of the action unless of course you up against an enemy that doesn't care about its wounded. What is the story on the new Nato polymer tipped rounds?

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not the Geneva Conventions, the Hague Accords. Frangible ammo was outlawed against enemy uniformed personel. Insurgents have no such protections. HP, SP and other frangible ammo is perfectly legal (under international law) to use against the Taliban or other non-uniformed combatants.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

To me, the term "Law of War" is a contradiction. The Geneva convention makes up these rules and expects everyone involved to abide by them,and the only people that follows these rules is us.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yet our Marines get crucified in the media for pissing on a few dead bodies.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Robo is correct. The US has never signed the Geneva Conventions resolution (it also outlaws nuclear, biological and chemical weapons) nor the Hague Accords- but HAVE stated we will choose to abide by most of them. The .50 BMG is actually smaller than .50 inches (check the specs) and is not prohibited for use against personnel (despite common misbelief). Purpose of the Accords was to "reduce undue suffering", like barbed bayonets, etc.

While there are numerous concepts of what it is, and what it ain't (many of them in error) bottom line- Regs provide you may only use issued weapons and issued ammo in combat.

Go back to WW 1- Germany claimed the US was in violation due to the use of 12 g shotguns.

16. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

They also wont let us Arty guys do what we call "shake and bake" anymore. HE rounds followed by some Willy Pete to finish the target off.

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Do they still use willy for anything?

18. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Yeah we burned down a poppy field about 3 months ago using WP. Other than that we use a base-ejecting variant to create smoke screens and mark targets.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

illumination rounds are also white phosphorous. Not really weapon applicable though.

20. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

We shoot Illum all the time. we also shoot the new InfaRed Illum rounds. Can't see them pop unless you got NVGs on.