Hollow point expansion

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by capnklump, Aug 22, 2012.

1. capnklump

capnklump New Member

The other day I was in my CCWP class, and my instructor (he's a sherrifs deputy) stated that a hollow point personal defense round, I.E. Winchester Ranger T series, or PDX-1 etc. etc. Expands as soon as it is 18 inches clear of the barrel, even without contacting any BG's. In essence what he was trying to say was that air pressure against the hollow point was enough to cause expansion, and frankly at this point I have to call BS. I dont believe it. Am I wrong??

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, your instructor did not know jack. It is BS, pure and simple.

Besides a million slow m videos of bullets in flight on You Tube, all he would have to do is LOOK at a paper target shot with a HP, and measure the hole.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

How in the hell would anyone manage to hit anything?

Find a new instructor dude.

4. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Thanks for confirming. Besides that, I would expect if that was the case, (mushrooming before contacting something solid) it would negate any decent accuracy, thanks again c3.

5. capnklump

capnklump New Member

That would be nice but the class is over & done with. I passed, which is enough for my permit. And besides, I'm not spending ANOTHER $125 for that!

6. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Your instructor is a moron.

7. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

You were raped. My ccw class is $50.00 with drinks, guns, and ammo provided.

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

... plus an interesting instructor (local sheriff) who was quite informative.

9. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Wow! What state?

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You can get class in NC from 55 dollars at a home taught class to 85 dollars at a gun range. You better check to see if this guy as certifed to teach a class and I was gona say hes a dumb mules rear end but for 125 dollar he's make'n great money and gets to pratice his BS too. This guy is steal'narrested him for stealing.

Come on now what sheriff does he work for. Might be able to warn others about him.

11. c3shooter

12. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

He must be confusing hollow points with sabot rounds...either way, what a tool.

13. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Ohio. Coffee, soda, guns (s&w m&p or ruger lcr), and ammo included in the cost. Class is at a training facility that also does basic and advanced pistol classes, basic and advanced carbine classes, knife combat, ccw, and a few other classes. It's like a sore wiener, ya just can't beat it.

14. c3shooter

To the OP- purely for your own info (do not bother trying to smarten up a chump)- this is a video of VERY high speed photography of bullets in flight. Skip to about 5:54 for a hollow point unfolding on impact.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg[/ame]

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Report him to your state licensing entity. He should not be teaching ANYTHING firearms related. He is an IDIOT!!!

16. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

How many states is it good for/ do you know? The class I took was in Louisiana for a $125 dollars. But it's good in 40 states. That might have something to do with price. But if not, that is a bad ass deal

17. capnklump

capnklump New Member

If you & I both paid $125 in Louisiana, maybe its somewhat of a statewide standard price??? Mine also is good in 40 states.

18. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

reciprocity by state, gotta love it!!!

what parish was this guy teachin from, i don't wanna take his class?

19. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Calcasieu.....

20. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Another thing he said that got under my skin. I happen to be a lefty, & he said to the class: How many "wrong" handed people do I have in here? Let me see your hands. I looked at him straight in the eye as if to let him know there is absolutely nothing I find funny about what you just said, looked at him straight faced & said I'm LEFT-handed I'm not WRONG handed! Kinda pissed me off.