Hollow Point ammo?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by fa35jsf, Sep 28, 2012.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Okay. So I am not entirely new at this. I know that 1911's were designed before hollow points were invented and I have read that some people have problems with their 1911's digesting hollow point ammo reliably. Obviously if I were to load my 1911 with hollow points I would want to make sure there is no feeding problems but I do not have the money to go out and buy a bunch of different brands to try them out.

So can anyone recommend a good, reliable brand of hollow point ammo (.45ACP) for a Kimber 1911 that could be found at your local outdoors store?

2. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

My Kimber Super Carry Ultra eats Hornady 200 gr XTP just fine. I've not had one FTF or FTE with this HP ammo.

3. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

One other thing. Get rid of the Kimber supplied POS magazine and get some Wilsons.

4. seanwhite75154

seanwhite75154 New Member

My kimber tactical pro II eats 230gr Winchester and federal hollow points without any problems. And I agree....toss those factory kimber mags to the side and grab some Wilson combat mags.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

During break-in & to test the pistol for handling hollow points, I like Remington UMC JHPs that you can get at Walmart for about $40 for box of 100 .45 ACP. Since it's not much more expensive than FMJ, I have no problem running 50-100 rounds thru it, then I'll test it with my higher priced carry ammo by shooting one mag full with each carry mag (2). So far, none of mine have cycled the Remington, but not my SD rounds.

6. rock185

rock185 Member

While it is Not the latest Hi Tech style of hollow point, or my personal favorite, I have found that the standard Remington 185 grain Hollow Point, stock #R45AP2, feeds reliably in Colt, S&W, Sig and Glocks. I suspect it would work reliably in your Kimber also. Mine is issued, so I don't know for sure, but this particular load isn't LE resricted or the latest Hi Tech, and has been available for many years, so I'd guess It's probably available at outdoors stores... ymmv

7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Suggest you have the Kimber throated and polished and the ejection port enlarged. I am not familiar with the new 45's, but my series 70 shoots anything, everytime.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

COR-BON Pow'R Ball

9. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

I agree with the above on the Wilson combat mags, have 2 for my Springfield PX1909LP 1911 and also like the Hornady rds.

10. tekarra

tekarra New Member

My RIA Tactical digests 200 gr. HPs with no issues.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I carry Winchester Ranger T 230gr in my CCO. Most modern 1911s don't have much in the way of problems with most modern JHP ammo. But you won't know till you try it. Federal Hydrashocks are also worth a look as well.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I've had two Kimbers over the years and neither ever had a problem with hollow point ammo. Even with Kimberly factory mags. *shrug*

I only carry Winchester Rangers in +P in my guns, but I have run boxes through the weapon to insure reliability before I ever holstered it.

JD

13. 1911Shooter

1911Shooter New Member

My Kimber ultra raptor II loves hydrashok and Speer gold dot but won't ever cycle with hornady critical defense or the like.

14. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Been wanting to get some Wilson 47D's. I bought a Chip McCormick and that is worse then the factory Kimber. Won't lock back half the time. The thing is my local gun range which I am a member at has some 47D's on order but have yet to receive them. I would like to purchase a few from them when they come in (to support my local gun shop of course) but if they don't get them soon then I just might have to buy some online.

15. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The first thing I would consider is do you need hollow point ammo? If you live in a rural are or have no close nieghbors you would be better off with FMJ or JSP ammo. An exit wound is going to do a lot more damage than the expansion of a hollow point that doesn't pass through the bad guy. Hollow points are to protect bystanders not to do more damage.

16. CallMaker

CallMaker New Member

My Kimber runs fine on Speer Gold Dots and Hornady XTP's. I use whatever magazines work without regard to brand.

17. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well considering I live in an apartment, it might be wise to invest in some hollow point. And in regards to magazines that work, neither of mine have given me any problems other than the Chip McCormick not wanting to lock back the slide. It is simply the follower not being a good design.

18. ubet426

ubet426 New Member

In my Kimber Pro Carry II I run Winchester PDX1 Defender 230 grain with no issues at all. I also use stock mags, but may look at upgrading after seeing so many complaints on the factory mags. Though I've not had any issues with them.

19. Donn

Donn Active Member

The only JHP's my Colt MkIV ever had a problem with were Super Vel 230gr which aren't available any more if I'm not mistaken.

20. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

My STI & Sig both feed Winchester PDX 1 230gr bonded just fine. I have also used Remington Gold Sabers with no problems. Another vote for Wilson Combat mags.