hold your breath when shooting?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gadrooning, Sep 21, 2009.

1. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Just out of curiosity how many of you inhale and hold your breath shooting, and how many of you exhale and hold your breath shooting. For me it seems exhaling and holding my breath steady's my hand quicker. Only drawback is I loose that stability faster rather than inhaling and holding my breath for the lack of oxygen.

2. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

When shooting a handgun or rifle?

I guess it really doesn't matter which, I fire during the exhale.

3. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

When you are shooting a rifle.

4. supergus

supergus New Member

I hold my breath right at the end of my exhale (natural respiratory pause). Holding my breath at any other time makes me shake and affects my aiming.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

Slow even breaths, fire on exhale.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I usually pause after the natural exhale for a second before the shot. If I don't have the shot during that second then I will wait until the next breath is done, stopping breathing will quickly cause you to become less stable and less accurate.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just for grins, try this- 3 deep breaths, exhale about halfway, stop. In about .5 to 1 second, your vision may sharpen just a smidge, and you are not fighting the inhale reflex, and do not feel as "pushed" to squeeze trigger.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Similiar to c3,
    I will take three to four really deep breaths to over oxygenate my blood then pause on the completed exhale. Hold breath for couple seconds and will see my heart beat in the recticle slow then stop for a few seconds. I fire during this calm

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I do exactly the same thing as gatekeeper. It's what has been tried & true for a long time.

10. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

I breath deeply, take a deep breath, let it half out, and shoot within 1-5 seconds. If I'm shooting over 300 yards, I shoot in between heartbeats. Not that it'll matter at 300 meters, but its good practice :D. If I ever have to take a 1750 I'll be ready:p

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Nice. Haven't met too many that do. Picked that up from Maj John Plaster's "ultimate Sniper" video. Been using it for years

12. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Hey that sounds like good advice. Does it work well during a zombie attack?

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

duh...stealth mode!! hello---they cant hear your heart beating
    sheesh, thats why I do it

14. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Remember BRAS...

Breathe, Relax, Aim, Squeeze