Hogs

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by trevor_atkinson, Jan 28, 2013.

1. trevor_atkinson

trevor_atkinson New Member

Can I use my sks to hunt hogs??

2. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Why not?

Is my answer.....

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Depends on hunting laws in your state and how your SKS is configured.

Some states have magazine restrictions, caliber restrictions, or restrictions against rifles in some hunting areas. Your state hunting regs should describe firearm restrictions. If your rifles era the standards then it should be legal to use.

4. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

It is here in Oklahoma. We just can't hunt them at night for some odd reason.

5. trevor_atkinson

trevor_atkinson New Member

I meet is it a good gun for the job

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If your rifle will cycle soft point ammo, then it is a decent brush rifle with ballistics that are just shy of a .30-30. So, yeah, it's a decent gun for the job. They handle quick, point well, function reliably and are reasonably accurate, and have enough power to get into the vitals of most "Normal sized" hogs if you can put the bullet in the right place.

7. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

I used to have an article I downloaded about using the SKS for hog hunting. If memory serves me. The article was written by a guy in south carolina. It was his opinion that the SKS was ideal for hog hunting.

The reasons being were: mag capacity, reliability, ease of use and the moderate power of the round for fast follow up shots.

8. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It's legal in Texas. My sister's boyfriend routinely gets paid by farmers and ranchers to hunt hogs with his SKS.

Given that they let people hunt hogs from helicopters with suppressors, Texas may not be comparable to other states.