Hogs Destroyed New Game Plot

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by alsaqr, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nearly impossible to control hunting one at a time, they come into heat every 21 days, gestation period is 3 month + 3 weeks + 3 days (that’s how my dads always put it) and they can have 15 in a litter

7point62 and Sniper03 like this.
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

^That applies to domestic hogs on a farm.

Wild hogs are not receiving a guaranteed feeding of a balanced diet, so 3+ litters per year is rare.

bluez and Rifling82 like this.

3. Rifling82

It is possible

4. Rifling82

But yes, that’s with everything being fed and cared for just right

bluez likes this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

It's no problem for them to have 3 litter's a year in the wild,they are eating better than most farm raised pigs ever thought about in most cases.
    Farm raised pigs only get whatever the farmer decides to feed them,Wild pigs can eat whatever they want,and there's always plenty for them to eat,and they will pretty much eat anything.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Your online friends are right. The vast majority of wild hogs don't have bacon. Wild hogs have a rather hard scrabble diet compared to domestics.

This large wild sow was an exception, she had been dining in wheat fields and at deer feeders, We cured the bacon.

[​IMG]

G66enigma, rn-cindy and Rifling82 like this.
  7. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

If a farmer is raising pigs to sell to Tyson or other processor or raising them on contract like the poultry integrators, then the pigs are properly fed.

Somebody raising a few pigs to sell to local bar b que cooks, maybe not.

I have seen wild hogs eating acorns so fat they would refuse to eat corn and I have seen hogs that were skin and bones in a drought. Three litters in a year from a wild sow is an exception, not a rule.

bluez, alsaqr and Rifling82 like this.
  9. Rifling82

It gets REALLY crazy when you raise show hogs, AI them and it can be $600 just to breed a guilt/sow then the outrageous feed you have to feed them

10. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

You find a real solution, you will be rich. I watched some of the accounts of professional trappers who used big circular wire fence and frame traps or pens with doors or the whole affair suspended an dropped on sounders. Not cheap but he made seven figures each year for while. You have pigs then your neighbors do to. Perhaps a meeting at the co-op and share in cost and any profits. Lot of people would love to help eradicate them, but night vision scopes are expensive...an experience a bit short for a great many who would like a crack at it. Someone (s) to be put in charge of the whole shebang in the county or counties and classes an rules or the like for the Hunters. All most will do is shooting. Putting hunt areas, an assigning them, and touring their shooting area with them ahead of time and the Hunters get what they want and you cut down or even eliminate the problem for a period of time. then wash rinse repeat, every 6 months a year or whatever.

G66enigma and Rifling82 like this.
  11. Rifling82

In kansas they started showing up 15 years ago on state land so the state quickly put a hunting ban on them and started trapping. The state comes every so often with helicopters and gets them thinned out. Needless to say we don’t have a problem yet

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    alsaqr likes this.
  12. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Every one will have a problem sooner or later with them. Eventually we will here in Iowa.
    As long as any state allows ranchers and farmers to run Hog Hunting for Profit, well, they ain't gonna go away. Wide expanses of Texas and Oklahoma cater to pay hunting to get a hog. Hunters come from all over the country. I know I will bet 25-30 guys from my area that go once a year to TX or OK and pay a lot to hunt hogs.

Hogs are smart. Yea they certainly are. They travel from many areas down South up this way on wheels. A few only ever get caught.

ellis36, alsaqr and Rifling82 like this.
  13. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Awwww, ain't the little fella cute?

Now this is a set!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1414645187530.jpeg

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. Rifling82

:D:p

15. Rifling82

Those could feed you for a week Outlaw :p

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  16. alsaqr

Since 2000 i've spent thousands of hours hunting, trapping and observing wild hogs. Much of Oklahoma is literally overrun with wild hogs.

It is impossible for a sow to bear three litters in one years time. Very seldom do nursing sows become pregnant. In this area, wild sows seldom bear two litters in one years time: i've seen that happen in years with a good crop of pecans and acorns and in areas where there is a proliferation of deer feeders. If the sow loses a litter she may have another litter in one years time. Most wild sows birth 4-6 piglets.

Many of the 2-3 year old sows shot and trapped at our deer lease have never borne a litter; i don't know why.

Oklahoma underwent a severe drought in 2010-2015. That drought almost totally depopulated hogs in some areas south of highway 62 in SW Oklahoma. i sometimes hunt deer south of Grandfield, OK. Sitting in a high deer stand in the middle of 360 acres of wheat i could often see 150-200 wild hogs. During the drought i saw complete litters of pigs that starved to death. Have not seen one hog on that place in years. Shooting from helicopters has reduced the wild hog population.

The proliferation of wild hogs in Oklahoma is attributable to a few things. For many years Bubba transported and released wild hogs all over OK. Folks run unfenced deer feeders year around. Deer hunters refuse to shoot wild hogs.

Then Oklahoma changed things drastically, wild hogs are now under authority of the Agriculture Dep't. No new hog hunting ranches will be licensed, a $25 license is required to hunt wild hogs at hunting ranches. Transportation of wild hogs is closely monitored. One must obtain a license to transport wild hogs to hunting ranches or butcher shops. A separate permit is required every time wild hogs are transported, detailing departure and arrival points.

A good article:

https://feralhogs.extension.org/feral-hog-reproductive-biology/#:~:text=The feral hog’s gestation period averages 112-120 days,but this sex composition is normally not significant.

17. alsaqr

i killed this boar about ten years ago. That hog had recently killed four dogs belonging to a hog dogger from Texas. That man and his dogs were enroute to a hog dog show in Faxon, OK. He spotted the hog and turned his dogs loose, big mistake.
    [​IMG]

This very old boar had a tag in his ear from a game farm in Bavaria. A rich OK City auto dealer bought breeding pairs from Germany and turned them loose west of Cache and north of highway 62.

[​IMG]

Sniper03, SRK97, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

THE ONLY GOOD HOG IS A DEAD HOG!:D

alsaqr, 7point62 and Rifling82 like this.
  19. alsaqr

A long hair hog:

[​IMG]

This boar is huge and as skinny as a snake from the drought. The trap has been re-baited and set. That hog ate about 30 pounds of corn.

[​IMG]

20. alsaqr

A fine looking hog with undershot jaw and stocking feet:

[​IMG]

Oldoutlaw and BullMoose429 like this.