Hogs Destroyed New Game Plot

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by alsaqr, Sep 20, 2020.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The winter rye was about two inches tall when the pigs discovered it. Tomorrow i will re-plant the plot and fill an unfenced feeder about 200 yards away. Maybe free corn will distract the hogs. There is a new blind overlooking that other feeder.

[​IMG]

Must get serious about those pesky hogs.

Rifling82 and Gatoragn like this.
  2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That looks like bacon on the hoof to me.

JimRau, rn-cindy and alsaqr like this.

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought you were already serious about the hogs.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

And LOTS OF IT!!!!

6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Problem is the place is 77 miles from home. Have recently killed a couple hogs at our lease, which is closer.

winds-of-change likes this.
  7. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

My online hog hunting buddies in Arkansas tell me feral hogs are not like farm pigs, not fat enough to get bacon and some other good stuff off them..? But yea..seems like if there was free bacon roaming around...you wouldnt be able to find one anywhere...lol. Same as why there are no stray cats around chineez restaurants....

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Free corn should do it.

Sounds like you need to take a few pig kill/beer swill vacation days.

JimRau and winds-of-change like this.
  9. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Lmao!:D

Caveman Jim and rn-cindy like this.
  10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

They can be ground up and used to make excellent sausage.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

This right here, caveman loves him some sausage gravy and biscuits in the mornin...

rn-cindy and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Cindy
    You are correct! They are normally very lean! If you are going to make wild hog good to eat and fix it. And it is best to soak the meet in a solution prior to take most of the wild taste out of it. (There are several recipes for this solution!) And you also need to add in some extra Fat it can be Beef or Raised Pork Fat. When we make Summer Sausage with it we add Fat and Jalapeno Peppers to it. MMMMMM! And do the same with Deer Summer Sausage.

rn-cindy and Rifling82 like this.
  13. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

while I was stationed in Germany in the 80s I was one of the Sergeant of the Guard (SOG) at a large NATO ammunition storage sites near Zweibrücken.

one night I was going out to check on the guards and bring hot coffee and soup to them, it was winter, as I was driving the jeep down a logging trail all of a sudden this monster of a wild boar steps in the trail, this thing was taller then the jeep hood was from the ground and dang near took up the width of the trail,:eek: had tusk that curled back on themselves and brown thick hair............thing looked like something that step out of prehistorical age.

I was thinking if this thing smells the chicken soup
    I was carrying in the mermite can, its going to charge....and there was nothing between me and him but flimsy canvas. took out my .45 from the holster and said to myself, "ball is in your court, buddy".. luckily he walked off in the woods, I don't believe I would have killed it before it maimed and killed me first. anyway, I continued on, with a elevated pulse rate.:D

14. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

The AR is the hog hunters rifle of choice.. (at least the ones i know).. So when slo-Joe gets his AR ban in place..gonna make the feral hog problem 10x worse.. Matter of fact..if that happens..hog hunters should all take a couple yrs off..show the Dims what this country looks like without guns . When the hog population explodes, and they are eating their hippie herb gardens, and eating the bumper off their little battery cars they might want the hog hunters back...?

15. Gatoragn

Don't worry, the hogs are learning from the deer that it is safer to live in the suburbs where maybe only archery hunting is allowed. ;)

primer1 and rn-cindy like this.
  16. Sniper03

Sherman
    Probably of Russian Bore blood line.
    Several years ago we killed a big reddish colored Bore in Texas.
    About 550 Lbs. Huge and had the Russian Hump on His Back , Long Snout, Hugh Tusks and was not friendly at all. 308 Put him down.
    I ask where did a Russian blood line Bore ever come from here. The Rancher Don advised years ago some ranchers wanted to make money by having hunters come to the area to hunt as customers. So they had what is called a High Fence and the shipped some of them in for the hunts. Its been years ago, but back then some escaped the High Fences and their blood line mixed in with the feral hogs over the years. And every once in a great while we see one like this one.
    Don; "Glad you guys got him!"

alsaqr and W.T. Sherman like this.
  17. Gatoragn

Probably the same folks that imported Aoudad, Blackbuck antelope, fallow deer, and many other exotic species to Texas.

Another place with imported Russian swine is the mountains of NC, TN and GA.

Sniper03 and Caveman Jim like this.
  18. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

yep, that sounds exactly the thing I saw............something like that you don't forget, especially when you see one up close and personal :D

Sniper03 likes this.
  19. Sniper03

Gator
    Has a point! Hogs are not stupid.
    Every time I have encountered Hogs here in the Front Yard. Sometimes as many as 10. When I shot one it seemed like a very long time before any ever came back. People might think they are stupid but I think not!
    An example a good friend Bill and his Wife had two Vietnamese Pot Belly Pigs as pets. Even though it was hard to believe they were like Dogs! They got a bath every other week, stayed in the house and were house broke. Not only that when they were out in the yard or in the house they would come when their names were called. Frippen Unbelievable, the first time I saw them! So as previously mentioned when I shoot one of their pals in the Front Yard usually at 75-80 Yards they seemed to remember when and where and did not return to my property if they ever did. And if they were the same ones that came back a long time following the experience I do not know?
    By the way! I shot one last week! But it was a loner and was chewing up my Deer Feeder's Tube getting corn. Would not have been upset if he was only eating corn. But it was chewing on the Feeders Tube! So one morning at 5:30 am. BANG went the 6.5 Grendel!:)