Hog Snares

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by DeltaF, Dec 12, 2013.

1. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

image-85752784.jpg Made a couple of hog snares, (I use a bolt on stop at the end of my washer lock, it isn't in the pic.) I am going to try to use a primitive platform snare to spring the noose up onto the hogs leg. Anybody ever try it this way?

2. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I've never tried it, but it should be really really interesting. That's going to be one mean pig by the time you get to it. :)

3. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I'll take pics, possibly video, as long as the other 12 hogs aren't making me find a tall tree.

Can't put them out until Wednesday. If they work I'll be setting a good 5 more with swivels so I can use the tree anchors again. These will be pretty much destroyed providing they work.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a permanent pen/trap. When I want to catch hogs I just bait the pen. The pen allows me to keep the hogs healthy until I am prepared to butcher the hogs. I have had a lot of health issues this year. I allowed members of my hunting club to bait and tend the traps. They are catching several hogs each time they bait the trap. In fact, they baited it yesterday.

Concrete reinforcement wire with a strand of barbed wire around the bottom is the best for a hog trap. My trap is at least 10 years old. I have only had to repair the gate a couple times.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Yeah we're building a pen trap but these are cheaper and I can put them out now. And I can put them out in multiple areas. As long as these work, I'll be using swivels on the next ones, which should keep them from tangling themselves up too bad. It's so cold right now I'm not too worried though.