Hog shot placement?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by icallshotgun88, Nov 6, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I'm wondering where you place your shots on hog..

I've heard behind the ear, lower front shoulder (heart), spine and "head shot"...

Does it change depending on hog size? Caliber? Distance? Etc.

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I make either a heart shot while the animal is horizontal to me, or through the ear. Only needed one shot all my years as a hunter. I hunt boar with a .308.

Attached Files:

3. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Behind the ear is my choice...

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Hogs are not difficult to kill when the bullet is put in the right place. i often hunt thousands of acres of restricted federal property. Outside of deer season we are restricted to the use of shotguns and small shot or rimfire rifles. My hunting there is with a .22 magnum rifle. Hogs smaller than about 100 pounds are shot behind the crook in the front leg. Larger hogs are shot in the ear or just behind the ear.

In other areas my hog hunting is done with a .50 or .54 caliber muzzleloader.

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are in a 'perfect' situation the 'ear' or just below or behind it is great. If not the lower front shoulder. Use heavy tough bullets as you may not get the 'perfect' shot all the time.:) Most of the shots I have made are 100 yds or less. My favorite caliber/gun is the 7-08 with 140 gr Federal Fusion bullets.
    Remember,
    THE ONLY GOOD HOG IS A DEAD HOG!;)

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The same here! Right behind the ear!
    Or heart and lung shot if sideways.

7. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I dropped a really big boar years ago with .308 from 75 yds...maybe an inch behind the ear.
    He squealed horribly for 3-4 minutes and pushed around in the grass with his hind legs, head in the center, for 4 complete revolutions before expiring.
    They are tough animals!

8. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Behind or just below the shoulder side on and front on I try to bust the chest open.
    Headshots I'm not to keen as there's not much room for error.

I use either my 30/06AI or CMC Mountaineer in .270 on pigs using 165gn and 130gn GameKings.

With shotguns I prefer SG's, OO/ Buckshot, AAA's and try to hit them up the front end although if they're running away a rear end raking shot will do followed up by a finisher.
    Shooting pigs is the best fun you can have with your clothes on.

9. JimRau

You should try hunting NAKED and see if makes it more fun!:D

10. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Would have to have a lanyard with a pouch to put your license in...:)

11. JimRau

Licence, licence, I don't need a stinking licence!;)