Hog hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Dixieduo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

Was just curious if anyone else on here hunted hog in Florida. Also what is your weapon of choice? I am new to the hog hunting world but my new mini-14 should do the trick just fine. I did carry my Hi-point 9mm on my hip for back up along with my Hi-point 9mm carbine. Now with the new toy some swine is mine!
    Anyone with hogs tearing up their deer area let me know. I will gladly take them out. You can keep the deer. I don't eat them therefore I don't hunt them.

2. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Same goes for me in Western KY. I'd love to shoot some feral hogs!

3. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

Anyone know of feral hog hunting in SW VA? I Would like to participate!

4. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hogs are hunted with just about everything, dogs and knives, handguns, slugs, bows, just about any caliber .223and above, it's all good. Your mini-14 should be fine. I'll offer one piece of advice. I've found that if you see smaller hogs hold your shot...the big ones come in later. They don't get big and old by being eager...they get big and old by being cautious. Good luck.

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Traditionally hunted with spear, by the Brits.

6. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

I will definately remember to wait for the big one.

7. Sam78

Sam78 New Member

Anyone know if there are any hogs in wv and specifically where?

8. tri70

tri70 New Member

Most of the reports I hear are they are moving mostly at night. We have a few here in Arkansas, I hear they are all around us in Oklahoma and Missouri.

9. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I've shot hogs in Fl and Texas in daylight...but they normally start moving as soon as it is dark enough for them to feel safe...which is about a quarter-past dusk.

10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Bingo!!!

After trapping over 100 wild hogs on three properties this year; there are about 20 trap shy hogs. They eat the corn at the front of the trap and go part way; they will not trip the trapdoor.

We start killing those hogs when deer season is over: We'll use the old fashioned method; shooting their butts.

11. Car54

Car54 New Member

Isn't that the "Texas Heart" shot?

Me and Canebrake do some hog hunting in Fla. He uses a .458 Socom, I use a 300 Blackout.

12. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I've done hawgs with .45 colt revolvers, .41 magnum revolvers. They go down quickly with good shot placement. The meat is lean and healthy, generally. None of that flabby watery flesh that comes from the farms that force-feed the pigs their own $#!t while tied up in stalls.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Gun control FTL!

14. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

Are these feral hogs good eating??

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

They are really good if cooked right, bar-b-qued, roasted, etc. There is little fat on them, so frying is not the best way.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  16. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

Love the tenderloin broiled with the right seasoning.

17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

18. tri70

tri70 New Member

Watching the Outdoor Channel they are shooting a lot of hogs in north Florida around Panama City.

19. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

We have a few in central Florida too.