Hog hunting

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by tderrick, Mar 25, 2012.

1. tderrick

tderrick New Member

Can y'all send pictures of hog hunting and the rifle/caliber used.

2. cl60cruzer

cl60cruzer New Member

12 ga auto. rem copper solid. 1 shot

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Got no pictures of hogs, ain't gone since I got this phone. Stag mod 1 5.56/.223

120124_0000-1.jpg

4. jac

jac New Member

image-1414070955.jpg

I got this one with a model 99 savage in 308

5. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

No hogs yet. Can hardly walk until i get my back fixed up.

This is the new hog/deer rifle though

[​IMG]

6. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Nice ,you just gotta love the 45/70

7. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Yea its a fun caliber. Only problem is the girlfriend likes shooting it also, makes it so even reloading isnt saving me money.

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Ahh yes but it is worth it. I have 2 sharps 1 45/70 an 1 45/90 man i love em on hogs. I feel the history runnin through them every time i squeeze off on a hog

9. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Heres a pic of a hog they caught in middle of our town

3in tusks 500pds

image-3968316568.jpg

Hogzilla!

Attached Files:

10. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

I'm looking forward to it. having back surgery in the next month or so, should be able to get back out and shooting again soon.q

11. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

+1 CL60Cruiser on the rifle barreled 12 gauge w/sabot slugs. Copper solids are great, I personally just switched from the rem accutips to the hornady SSTs bc the accutips don't penetrate all the way through so it doesn't leave a blood trail on a lung shot (in case u can't take the neck shot). I like the speed of the accutips and the SSTs (300 grains at 2000 fps will knock down just about anything within 150 yds)

Tenderibs- I don't think that hog was 500 lbs. big fat ass pig but I dont think 500.

Estimating this one I shot at about 225-250 lbs. 3 inch cutters. How's that for a wound channel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  12. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Are these hogs edible?

13. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

Yep.. People say that once they get over a certain weight the meat tastes too gamey. But if you soak the meat (before deboning)from the big ones in ice water and vinegar (or some type of acidic fruit juice) for a couple days(drain and repeat a couple times throughout the process) it takes the gamey taste out of the meat leaving the natural pork flavor. Wild pork is much leaner than domestic pig meat so u have to be careful cooking it. Under cook it and u run the risk of parasites/bacteria. Over cook it and its too tough, and chewy. I gut, skin, quarter, and debone the meat myself. When I debone it, I cut the extra fat and tendons off leaving me with a bunch of 2-6 oz chunks of meat. brown sugar, meat tenderizer, BBQ sauce, and a bit of fat free Italian dressing makes a great rub/marinade. Add cayenne if u want some heat.

image-2206252646.jpg

Attached Files: