Hog hunting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by texashunter, Jul 22, 2011.

1. texashunter

texashunter New Member

We are having problems knocking down pigs that we have shot with are AR 15. We have been shooting Remington 55 gr. hollow points what ammo would you recommend for more knock down power

2. Rmason2008

Rmason2008 New Member

I wouldn't use a hollow point. I would use either jacketed flat point or full metal jacket ammo. You need penetration to kill an animal as large and tough as a wild hog and hollow points don't really do that.

Shot placement could be an issue too. Be sure your aiming for the heart/lungs area (right behind the front shoulder) of the hog.

Might want to get a larger caliber weapon than .223. I don't use anything smaller than a .270 when hunting anything larger than a varmint. That's just me though. I try to be as humane as possible, and the larger calibers do a better job of dropping the animal as quickly as possible.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Bigger caliber. A 62gr partition may help, but it is not that much better.

4. texashunter

texashunter New Member

We were thinking of using an AR 10 which fires a .308 round but was told if you put optics on it, they would be thrown off by the recoil of multiple quick shots

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Heavier, stronger bullet. Hollow point is a very bad idea on a hog or deer or other like sized 4 or 2 legged game.

My preference is the Winchester 64 gr Power Point. Accurate, reliable, controlled expansion.

The new Speer Gold Dot 63 or 64 gr bullet seems to be a very strong performer. That is our new duty ammo for the AR's.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Shoot them behind the ear! :D

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Big holes mean more leaks out!

Drop the blood pressure, drop the target!

[​IMG]

The Build Time Has Come!

My M.C.Ham-AR-45. I call it Magnum P*I*G

Attached Files:

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

only with a cheap scope

9. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

we use everything from 30-30 to a 12 gauge slug or 00 buck. Sometimes I break out the Mosin or the 7mm rem mag, I'm inclined to agree with canebrake the 458 socom would do a hell of a job on a hog. The 5.56 or 223 has never been known for knock down power, it's accurate and travels farther then the 7.62X39 which travels shorter then the 223 but has a lot better knock power.

10. NativH

NativH New Member

I use an AR10 with an Aimpoint and it never loses it's zero. It is crazy accurate out to 100 yards for snap shooting with the AimpointM2 and loves Hornady TAP ammo. The 110 grain is particularly accurate but I'd go with the 155 grain or 168 grain on a large porker. I bought the AR10 specifically for hogs because I just didn't trust a 223 to drop the ones we get down here.

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I use Sierra 65gr Gamekings,and Speer 70gr SP bullets for all my 223 hog or deer needs.
    We have never had a problem of not stopping them where they're standing.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

And a cheap set of rings.

The .223 was designed under the Geneva convention guidelines.
    If you wound an enemy, others will assist him.
    If you kill an enemy, the others have no reason to assist him.

I've yet to see a hog get assisted by other hogs when you wound him.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Shot placement is the main reason that most hogs are wounded,and not killed.
    The vital region of a feral hog is very small when compared to other game such as whitetail.

We mainly try for a head/neck shot.Usually if you hit either of them,the hog will drop like a rock.
    The heart and lungs of a hog are set low in the body right behind pretty much where the top elbow of the front leg is.If you shoot for the shoulder like a lot of people do,and are using a smaller caliber weapon,chances are the hog will run off before it dies.
    I've seen big hogs that were shot in the shoulder with a 308,hit the ground-get up and run off and not be found until you see the buzzards circling it.

Hopefully the Mods won't mind this link.It shows in graphic pictures the actual anatomy of the vital region.

WILD BOAR ANATOMY, HUNTING WILD BOAR TEXAS, TEXAS HOG HUNTING HEART LUNG SHOT PLACEMNET

14. NativH

NativH New Member

Great post and anatomical link. I shoot for a headshot normally, actually aim for the ear or directly behind it. I've shot several right through the ear canal and they do drop in their tracks with nary a sound or twitch.

15. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Shot placement is everything. i've seen hogs run off at full speed after being shot with a 180 grain soft point bullet fired from a .300 Win Mag. I've killed dozens of wild hogs using a 5.56mm/.223 and never had a wounded hog get away. Some were killed using the M193 5.56mm ball round. Most were killed using handloads with the excellent Barnes 53 grain TSX bullet.

i used to shoot hogs in the ear but IMO they do not bleed out right when hit that way. i put the bullet low just behind the crook in the front led: That's a heart shot.

One of the places i often hunt has gun restrictions. Only rimfire rifles and shotguns with small shot can be used on there in small game season. i often kill wild hogs there using a .22 magnum.

16. Longnkrnch

Longnkrnch New Member

With .223 shot placement is very important. Right in the ear hole is deadly. Or, get a 450 bushmaster upper. It'll be a hoglocaust!!

17. texashunter

texashunter New Member

So what y'all are saying is become a better shot or get a bigger gun. I think I prefer the bigger gun.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Don't forget the pissed-off Asians.
    ;)

19. powg

powg New Member

.223 for hogs ?

ground HOGS ..............but not real pigs,hogs ,boars ,piglets ,sows ......unless just gut-shooting for extermination purposes.Then its still not a given said hog will die!If your going to use an ar platform ..I suggest the .308 ,260, 7mm08,243, or the .300 olympic ...and the coup de grace .450 bushmaster. But not .223