Hog hunting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by johndeere, Dec 6, 2013.

1. johndeere

johndeere New Member

I live in Mississippi and looking for the best rifle to go hog hunting with. Right now i am deer hunting with a 30-30 or 30-06 but looking for a good hog caliber.

2. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

With the exception of the calibers you all ready have ... 7mm-08 is a great caliber

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Nothing wrong with either of those calibers.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Any rifle that will take a full grown white tailed deer is more than enough for feral swine.

5. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

We use 5.56, .22 mag, 30/30 and everything in between.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

.30-30 is pretty darn good. Maybe a Marlin in .35 Rem could have a bit more punch, but not sure the lower selection of ammo and higher prices are worth the difference.

7. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

30/06 will do the job no worries. A good 150gn projectile and it'll drop any pig no worries.

A few pigs I've taken with my 30/06AI and a 165gn GameKing,

Attached Files:

8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have killed hog with 223 (not recommended), 7-08, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 35 Rem.
    My 'favorite' is my Marlin 336 35 Rem with 220gr hand loads with a 1.5x5 Leopold!:D

9. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yep, your 30-30 will be fine. I've shot hogs with .223, .308, 6.5mm and 20ga slugs.

10. Ishooter

Ishooter New Member

Hogs are not hard to kill. My dad talked about his father killing hogs for butcher with a 22 to the head and they went down quickly.

If I was you I would use the 30-30 with a 170 gr bullet.

I don't know what the land looks like where you are going to hunt. My thought about using the 30-06 would be where is that bullet going to go after it passes through the pig.

I am very fond of the 358 Winchester for taking larger game. It hits like a hammer and can be used out to 400 yards. Like using 12 gage slugs, I have never had an animal run after being hit with the 358 Winchester. The big advantage over the 12 gage slug is lack of recoil and the added distance.

The other nice thing about the 358 Winchester is the bullet will go to ground much faster than the 30-06 with say a 150 gr bullet. Shooting the pig will put the bullet about 16" off the ground. Shooting at a hundred yards the bullet will travel less than 50 yards after going through the pig if you shoot level with 16". If you are shooting off hand it will go to ground in less than 20' after passing through the pig using the 358 Winchester.

The other way to go would be use a bullet that wouldn't pass through the pig such as the 44 mag. Shots taken past fifty yards with 240 gr hollow points will not pass through the pig. I have never had a 12 gage slug pass through an animal. Then it is only good out to 100 yards or so with a rifled barrel.

Good luck with what ever you decide. Be safe and have a good time on your hunt.

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

A .308 worked just fine on this harvest.:D:cool:

Attached Files:

12. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

The most fun I have had with my clothes on was shootin' hogs with my AR in 5.56. I did use .223 but it was a hoot. Check your local regs, cause some places don't like black guns with 30 round mags. Where I hunted, feral swine a considered a nusience, so no regs are put on them.

Other calibers like 3030 .270, .243 would be fine as well. No need for a .338 or such.

13. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Anybody ever have luck with an electronic caller and some piglet distress calls?

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are quite a few videos on Utube.

15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Yes there are, but I'm not interested in youtube videos. I'm hoping somebody on this forum has used them successfully so that I can have a conversation with them.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Not so much a caliber preference, as a rifle choice.

The Mosin M44 gives you a built in pig-sticker, the 7.62X54R

is similar to the 30.06 ballistics.

You can even use the butt-end as a club, in close-quarters,

if and when the hogs get underfoot, as they have a tendency

to do, at times.

17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 'called' them in several times. I have been set up in a clearing near the HEAVY woods. I have had them in the woods near me (10 to 15 yards) and could hear them and get a gimps of them. All I did was start smacking my lips like I was eating something sloppy and all the noise and movement completely stopped. I waited a few seconds and did it again and with in 10 seconds (both times) a big sow stuck her head out of the cover and did not make it back to cover!!!:D

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

We've tried a few vocal calls,but the hogs around us usually don't get tricked by them.
    Almost all of the hogs in our area stay nocturnal.
    Right now,I'm trying out a couple of lights around one of my feeders. I have a motion detected "green" light that shines straight under the feeder,and have a solar powered led spotlight that illuminates the area around the feeder.
    I haven't hunted the hogs there since I put them up,but they seem to have no problem with the lights.I have many pictures of hogs and also deer that go to that feeder throughout the night.
    I'm really impressed with the solar powered spot light. I bought it at Home Depot for $42,and last week when I went to the lease deer hunting,it was still shining bright at 05:30 am. So it has enough battery life to run all night.

19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Interesting. These hogs do move around in the day. We shot a couple during bow season, and my brother got chased up into one of the stands by three of them when he was walking back from duck hunting out back by the river. I'm gonna hit that stand on Wednesday or Thursday and try an electronic caller with a piglet distress sound.

20. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

OK I am gonna ask what may be a dumb question here.

How does the meat compare to a farm raised hog?