hog hunting with 7.62x39

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by bmatt1, Aug 12, 2011.

1. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

ive been itching to go hog hunting lately and the only caliber rifle i have available to me right now is in 7.62x39. is that a good sized round for hogs? ive never been hog hunting before, so kinda lookin for a couple tips on how to hunt them

2. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I think it's big enough but can it shoot accurate out to 100 yards? or 50
    I have a 308win I would take that over the 7.62x39.

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

That should be enough for hog hunting.

4. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I've only been hog hunting one time, but that was with a SKS. One shot got the job done.

5. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Be sure to use hunting rounds and not full metal jackets. On larger hogs I try to shoot them with a good head shot behind the ears. Other than correct ammo, shot placement, excessive range, you will be fine. Hog hunting is to fun to pass up if you have the opportunity to go. Have fun.

6. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

What rifle is it? If you're unsure of the round, I'd recommend something semi automatic thats accurate at long distances.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Don't Worry / Be Happy, that round will Git R Done. Agreed use soft points, not FMJ's.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Good to hear; my nephew says there may be a developing hog problem at the deer camp he goes to. Can you say pre-season porcine slaughter? :D

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

bmatt,

The 7.62X39 round is plenty good enough to hunt hogs with! For that matter deer and all medium sized game. As R-Bolt said the best place to shoot one is behind the ear. I always try to shoot them behind the ear no matter what caliber I am using. Have Fun!

10. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

great, thanks for all the info everyone. its a AK-47 made by century. ive done plenty of deer and elk hunting so i can place a shot just fine. i was just worried about the round maybe being too big. maybe ive under estimated the size of hogs? im goin this weekend to get it zeroed in and we will see how the accuracy is. ill also be carrying a .40 as a side arm. not anything special but its what ive got right now. when are hogs most active?

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Hogs are similar to deer in their habits, early morning or late afternoon is best. Very nocturnal critters, but many states allow night hunting if on private land.

12. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Oh dear god, it's going to be a massacre.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Key to a successful feral hog hunt is shot placement.

A poor hit not only wastes meat but these tough guys will run off and die a painful death far from the hunter.

Forget the head shot, the brain is too small and they are constantly moving.

There are two hot spots that will drop piggie where he stands;
    1. Heart/Lungs and kill_shots1.jpg
    2. Neck/Spine neck_shot.jpg

Attached Files:

14. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

yea thats how my dad has always taught me with deer too. take the neck shot if possible, it will just drop right there. ive seen a deer run 300 yards after being shot in the heart by my brother. but thanks again for the tips, this helps a lot. sadly ill be hunting on fort benning and there is no night hunting tho.

15. powg

powg New Member

7.62x39

use soft points ,careful shot placement .....hogs move more at night ,the experts say that % wise 15 daytime ,85 nightime. I smell porkchops!:D

16. Psyfodeus

Psyfodeus New Member

That diagramming

Is outstanding! Brilliantly done!

17. c133jim

c133jim New Member

From what I understand, the 7.62x39 cartridge has very similar ballistics to the 30-30.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure your magazine is legal. There may be capacity restrictions for hunting.

19. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Good shot placement and you'll have plenty of dead hogs. :D

20. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

Hogs in the wild are almost exclusively nocturnal. So you would hunt them like deer; early in the morning and late at night. Or just go wandering through the woods and try to sneak up on one laying in a mud hole or the banks of a creek or pond.