Hog hunting 10mm

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by mandango33, Feb 13, 2020.

1. mandango33

mandango33 Member

I posted this in general handgun, but figured id try here too. I have 3 loads at the moment for my 10mm for hog hunting. The v crowns shoot ok, but wouldn't try farther than 20 yards. The federal bear claw shoots 4" groups at 50, not bad but I want better.

Then there's PPU defense that is shooting 2" groups at 50 yards. That's a 180 grain jhp moving 1100 fps. Do you all think that's enough for a hog?

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, put the bullet in the boiler room or the noggin and the piggy will be done for.

3. Barf The Roadie

Barf The Roadie New Member

very curious how the 10mm performs keep us posted

4. mandango33

mandango33 Member

Will do. I'm going to look for some hard cast loads tomorrow and see if those domthe trick. Seems to like the slower bullets so maybe a 200 grain hard cast going slow will give me good accuracy. I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy of the PPU ammo, just not impressed with velocity and I'm unsure of the bullet make.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

You might try some 10mm Hornady 200 gr. XTPs
    They are hollow points as well but have great penetration for Porky's hide. Tip expansion is good and the jacket stays together for max effect.

JimRau likes this.
  6. mandango33

mandango33 Member

I have some 180s coming in tomorrow. Tried ordering 200s but they were out of stock.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

They should do as well!
    Let us know what you think but they are also accurate. Give us some pics and range report when you try them.

8. mandango33

mandango33 Member

will do! I was super impressed with those PPU's. They flat out shot great!

I may end up making some gel and try them in gel if the hornadys don't shoot well. There's some 200 grain hsm hard cast at the shop I'll pick up tomorrow or Saturday too.

freefall likes this.
  9. mandango33

mandango33 Member

My back up gun is going to be a 6.5 grendel ar15 pistol with a 13" match barrel by sanders armory. It's a solid shooter, but I wanted some handloads to take on the hunt. 26.5 grains of h322, a 100 grain nosler ballistic tip and once fired hornady brass got me shooting 5 rounds into .27" (according to a micrometer) outside to outside. Take away the .264" bullet and that is the best group I've ever shot in my entire life.

Picking up the 180 grain XTPs for the 10mm tomorrow. Got a tripod shooting stick coming in the mail tomorrow so I'll be heading to the range as soon as my shift at the gun shop is over. It's going to be a good day.

My son is taking his 8.5" 300 blackout shooting 110 grain vortex tactical load. Five rounds touch at 50 yards so that's shooting good too. Probably take my 12 gauge too for snakes while camping. I hate snakes.

Sniper03, primer1 and towboater like this.
  10. mandango33

mandango33 Member

Well, I bought a box of HSTs 200 grain, a box of HSM 200 grain hard cast and two boxes of the XTP 180s today. I'm not sure which one shot the worst, but they were all close to being absolute trash out of my gun. Its getting frustrating.

I have a 22# recoil spring in mine, do you think going back to the factory spring would help improve groups with the 180 XTPs? I'm at a loss. Everything that is in stock at any stores near me I've bought and I can't seem to find anything that will shoot better than 4" unless its moving at the speed of smell.

11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I am a fan of the 200 gr hard-cast Bear Loads. They're what I carry when venturing north of Willow or east of Sutton.

12. Leftyfixit

Leftyfixit Member

If you haven't hunted wild hogs before go with someone who is experienced. These are dangerous animals that have no qualms about hurting or killing people to get away and survive. You might want a heavier hitting gun also. There is nothing worse then coming in contact with an angry animal and being under gunned.

13. freefall

The scariest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang.

14. mandango33

mandango33 Member

We are going with a guide in Florida. It's a gimme hunt, cheating really. However, my 13 year old has dreamed of killing a hog for 12 years, so this was the only way to guarantee a kill.

The next hunt will be on public land in GA. We will take a heavier hitting round then, but for a stand hunt over a feeder, I think we have a decent enough assortment of firearms to choose from.

15. mandango33

mandango33 Member

I just tore the gun apart and cleaned it. Then took the mount off and put new screws in everything, added blue locktite and retorqued everything down to spec. I honestly think it was in my head because no-one else could hear it, but I thought I could feel a bit of play and hear a light clicking noise when I pulled up on the red dot really hard. Hoping that it may have worked loose some maybe and it will shoot better tomorrow.

I'm really thinking that at 180 grain hard cast moving at 1050 or 1100 fps will do the trick if I can find the right load.

16. freefall

A .40+ caliber hard bullet with a nice square nose moving at over 1000 fps will do for pretty much anything on this continent.
    Bust 'em.

17. Gatoragn

Back in my hog hunting days 40+ years ago we used 22 magnums with copper jacketed bullets and shot them in the head.

We did not have the internet to tell us how much danger we were in.

18. mandango33

mandango33 Member

Haha! If i had an accurate 22 mag to put one behind the ear I'd be game. However, with a 10, at 50 yards I was hoping for a shoulder shot and a bullet that would stay together to get a pass through.

Watching reviews on the PPU defense round, in gel they are getting 32+ inches of penetration because the bullet isn't expanding. Technically I think that would work quite well, wouldn't be much different than a hard cast bullet. The biggest difference would be the shoulder on the hard cast causes damage where the hollow point is fairly smooth sided and the only disruption would be the flat hollow point IF it didn't get clogged with skin and fat.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  19. Gatoragn

Are there some 300+ pound swine behemoths roaming around in the palmettos? Yes.

The odds are the pig you shoot will be 75 to 150 pounds in weight and they are not hard to kill with a firearm, but you do have to hit them.

Does your son deer hunt with a firearm? If yes, use that gun it will be good practice for deer season.

I worry more about chiggers and ticks, than being attacked by a hog when I am in the woods.

Sniper03 likes this.
  20. mandango33

mandango33 Member

Yeah. He's been hunting for several years now. He is using his 300 blkout. I'm taking my grendel but really want to use the 10.

You're also correct in saying we arent going after giant pigs. 100-175 pounds is the target weight so we can eat them. We will be in a stand, so I'm not worried about being attacked by a pig.

Do you think the PPU will suffice?

Sniper03 likes this.