Hog Hunt- A two for 1

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Car54, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Car54

Car54 New Member

I went on a hog hunt this past weekend in Florida. It was cold and windy both days and on Sunday the hogs were tucked in the heaviest cover around so we had to go in to find them.

My guide spotted one about 30 yards away and pointed her out to me. I had to move a bit to the right because she was partially hidden by a tree. Using my 300 Blackout with a 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip, I set the dot behind her ear and "pop" she went down, then behind her I saw another hog twist, doing a 180, and she dropped right there too. The guide yelled, "you got two for one, nice shot".

I didn't think to get a photo of me with the hogs but here's a couple of the guide bringing them out for me.

I forgot to add: This was my first hunt, ever.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's what we call Bringing home the bacon!

3. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

That's awesome, nice shot! (obviously)

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Awesome man! Perfect size for wild hog meat. I hun t hogs here in AR and I tell you, the best way to kill hogs is to get where they live.
    I have to ask tho, why did you go with the .300?

5. Car54

Car54 New Member

I love my AR's and with all the parts being the same except for the barrel, it was the way to go for me. I see myself only hunting for hogs so I didn't need a long distance shooter but I wanted something larger than a .223.

I was the first in our group to get the 300Blk, and it opened up some eyes. Since then, 2 guy's have built one, another is in the process, and another was going to do a 6.8, but after the hunt he changed his mind and is going to the 300BLk.

Now that ammo for the 300Blk is becoming available in more places, I believe there is going to be a lot of hog hunters going to it. I also have the option to go suppressed in the future, should I choose to go that way.

The guides had another afternoon hunt set up so they were in a bit of a hurry to get the hogs cleaned and on ice. I wish that I had some extra time that morning to examine the second hog to see if the bullet was still in her, but I did see that the bullet entered her right shoulder.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Congratulations! Hope you get some backstrap and sausage out of those hogs...the taste is amazing.

You have the bug now, so you'll be looking at another trip soon!

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

When I said AR I ment Arkansas lol :)
    But I do hunt hogs with my AR. I've also hunted them with .22lr and 12ga.
    Be careful!! Hog hunting is addicting, and in California it may cause cancer.. ;)

8. Car54

Car54 New Member

Oh yes, the bug is set. I can't wait to go again.

When I got home on Sunday, I was hungry so I took a saw and cut a slab of ribs from one hog and put them in the oven. They were so good, but I should have done both slabs. I didn't realize how lean they were and one slab wasn't enough for me. No gamey taste whatsoever.

I'm waiting for my meat processor to call saying the meat is ready to pick up.

9. Car54

Car54 New Member

Yeah, I caught that you "razorback". I've heard of people using .22's. How close do you have to be to get that kill zone shot?

The ideal situation would be to find someone who owns a big piece of property that is being ravaged by hogs and would allow a few hunters to come in and rid the place. They are hard to find, most having their own friends help out, some have trappers come in, the rest are afraid of their land or animals being abused by irresponsible hunters.

10. Car54

Car54 New Member

deleted/double post

11. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

With a .22 you can kill a hog on out to 65yds if you hit 'em in soft spots. Me and my buddies go to public land in south AR and kick the hogs out of tree tops and brush. Its kind of a thrill when a 400lb pig gets up 10yds from you! Its seems dangerous but Arkansas pigs are mostly passive. The only ones to worry about are mommas with piglits.

12. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

I found the ribs on wild hogs to be a little dry and skimpy, even on a 180# hog. When I have sausage made, I ask the processor to add some pork fat if needed so the sausage is moist.

13. Car54

Car54 New Member

That's amazing. I don't know if I'd be able to go against a hog with a .22.

I was a bit disappointed in the lack of meat on the slab that I ate, it was good, but as you said, skimpy.

A friend advised me to have the processor add fat too, he said it's to dry and crumbles if it doesn't have enough fat in it.

14. dgaf333

dgaf333 New Member

sounds like you had a good time

15. Tell_Sackett

Tell_Sackett New Member

Didn't anyone ever tell you to check what is beyond your target?:D(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Great shot, and enjoy the meat! I have never bean on a hog hunt yet but I would like to go someday.

16. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on the porkers. i've had three twofers on hogs.