Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caption: WHY CAN’T HODGDON SHIP MORE POWDER? The current powder situation is due to a record demand for all reloading components and NOT a reduction in the supply of powder. With long-time handloaders looking to stock up and new gun owners looking for ammunition, there is an unprecedented demand for powder and other reloading components. We shipped a record amount of powder in 2020 and will ship even more in 2021. We are doing everything in our power to get the most powder into consumer hands this year. We are running overtime in our facilities, have hired additional staff and have leveraged relationships with shipping partners to add new shipping options. WHY CAN’T HODGDON BUILD ANOTHER POWDER PLANT? The “normal” powder demand for the U.S. would not support an additional plant. Hodgdon, like most companies, cannot afford to build a new production facility then have it sit idle until demand spikes. WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS? The heart of our business is smokeless powder for the handloading enthusiast. Yes, we sell some powder to ammo manufacturers, but that is a small part of our business. Every day, we receive calls from potential OEM customers looking for powder to load in ammunition. We politely decline so we can focus on our long-term, handloading customers. WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO THE GOVERNMENT? Hodgdon does not sell powder directly to the government. We sell some powder to manufacturers making ammunition for our military, but that is a small part of our business. WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER ON AUCTION SITES? We don't. Period. We recently began selling a limited amount of powder on our own websites but prioritize our shipments to our traditional sales channels to maximize powder availability at sporting goods and gun shops. WHY IS THE PRICE OF POWDER SO HIGH ON THE INTERNET? We do not set sale prices or MSRPs for the price of our powders at retail, nor do we encourage any of our retailers or dealers to sell on auction sites, but we cannot control what happens after we sell to our traditional sales channels

·
Registered
Whatever tickles my fancy in the morning and what I'm going to be doing
76 Posts
No sir, I don't but, I see them about weekly on various gun sites. The only thing I'm about to be hurting for is Large Pistol Primers.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
So, Hodgden... the manufacturer... said they don't set the "Manufacturer's suggested retail price "
Lol!

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
It's a fair bet that with all the anti-gun sentiments abounding, among the hired staff (and would-be candidates), and with this surge in demand a likely blip on the radar, the manufacturers are going to play it cautiously until they get a good read on what the next 5+ years holds.

If they saw skyrocketing demand with no end in sight, and if they saw a fairly-conservative approach to the hired help, it'd be more of a sure bet for them.

Until then, I don't blame them, much, for not going "all in" to invest in one or more production plants.

It's an interesting time, though. Imagine, if they invested in, say, a doubling of powder production capacity ... and then began a concerted effort to rope-in market share from all of the other powder makers. Might be a bit more pricey, as compared to some other makers, but they'd capture more of the market and garner greater long-term loyalty among customers. I suspect a lot of people would gravitate to Hodgdon's offerings, if the dang stuff were doubly or triply available when their competitors' products weren't.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think they have a guilty conscience about their complicity in this whole hokes . And fear their business is going down the tubes , I know a lot of gunshops that have been unable to get inventory to sell and they are going broke not selling anything . It's time to take down the "out of stock" excuse and return to normal we are not stupid . Remember they are working 24/7 .

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Most of the smokeless gunpowder's that Hodgdon sells isn't produced by them. It is produced in Australia and Sweden.
Hodgdon then blends it into each different type, repackages it, and sales it to wholesaler's.

I bet all you guy's that didn't think ahead will stock up from now on. I learned that 30+ years ago, and have plenty reloading supplies stocked up for all of my guns.

·
Registered
Whatever tickles my fancy in the morning and what I'm going to be doing
76 Posts
I saw it coming with GCA-68. Only thing I got caught with my pants down on was Large Pistol primers. But, I hadn't been shooting much handgun for a decade or more and just wasn't paying attention. Serves me right.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Most of the smokeless gunpowder's that Hodgdon sells isn't produced by them. It is produced in Australia and Sweden.
Hodgdon then blends it into each different type, repackages it, and sales it to wholesaler's.
All the more reason for them to push a made-in-America approach.

Of course, so long as the hateful, spiteful, Constitution-disregarding rabble keeps getting elected by people, it's going to remain a sketchy problem for companies who might consider doing so.

"Saaaaaaaaaaaltpeter!"

- from the film 1776​

They knew it then. Folks know it know.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
All the more reason for them to push a made-in-America approach.

Of course, so long as the hateful, spiteful, Constitution-disregarding rabble keeps getting elected by people, it's going to remain a sketchy problem for companies who might consider doing so.

"Saaaaaaaaaaaltpeter!"​
- from the film 1776​

They knew it then. Folks know it know.
I don't believe "the people" voted the same as the last election results showed "the people" voted. In other words, there was cheating, in other words, there were laws broken in a very overt manner. People need to go to federal prison for doing that but don't bet on it.

"The people" will find a way to reject dishonest elections and people. Venezuela and The United States, I thought, worked differently. One of these days, "the people" are going to revolt and reject dishonest law breakers and it will not be in a nice way. There are some allegedly elected "leaders" walking a very tight rope. They aren't capable of seeing that but that old saying "what goes around comes around", cannot be escaped from. The "come around" can be very harsh and unpleasant. It will be for some people. It always takes too long and too much damage is done in the meantime. Just sayin'.......

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts

I bet all you guy's that didn't think ahead will stock up from now on. I learned that 30+ years ago, and have plenty reloading supplies stocked up for all of my guns.
Amen Brother! Most never listen about stocking up. They buy one can of powder and other items at a time only when needed.
But, every time a shortage comes along, and they do regularly every so many years, they complain to high heaven.

·
Registered
313 Posts
IF Hodgdon or any manufacturers said, "today, we are looking into expanding capacity and building a new plant!"

It would be 5-10 YEARS before that facility came online.

Architectural and engineering design
Capitol available
Permits
Land
Can take 5 years, then
Building, equipment, staffing, training.

Figure in the protests and lawsuits.

Don't expect any new facilities anytime soon

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
IF Hodgdon or any manufacturers said, "today, we are looking into expanding capacity and building a new plant!"

Capitol available
Permits
Land
Can take 5 years, then

True, all of that. IF things ever get to some level of normalcy (what a wish!), I'm going to spend some money. With what's going on, that's what people are doing now on anything related to self-defense. People are scared and keeping their powder dry and buying more of it.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts

Capitol available
Permits
Land
Can take 5 years, then

Gopher ... Badger ... Indiana Ordnance Works ... Used to be many powder and ammo plants around. (WWII, of course.) Most are demolished or decayed abandoned relics. The now defunct, gov't-owned, DuPont-operated Indiana Ordnance Works plant was created in ~6mos (summer 1940 to early 1941), from farm fields. Could be done again. But almost certainly won't be.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
I am not a business genius but I would not expand a business that is looked down upon by the current political party in power. Besides that powder is really becoming more available around here as are bullets. You can’t find everything but you can find something that will work. Primers are still being rationed at max of 300 if anybody has any at all.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
I went so far as to stock up on berdan primers , what's getting me is the cost to replace the stock when there is no good reason for shortages .
You know what? I have a full case of Tula KV-24N Berdan primers that I do not need any longer. Used to reload
lots of Yugo x39 rounds and a few 7.62x54. The x54 were for a friend of mine.

If any one is near or passing through Eastern Iowa on I-80 I would sell for a Really good price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts