"Hoarding" Ammo...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by G-Man, Apr 17, 2009.

1. G-Man

G-Man New Member

What is going to happen, let's say a year from now, when people realize that the 'end of the world' is not here yet, and they have rooms full of ammo at home?
    I guess we'll have plenty of ammo for sale by individuals!
    Please stop!!! All I want is to be able to go to WalMart and buy target ammo...

:(

2. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Why is .22 long rifle being snapped up. Not like it is a great defence round & a box of 500 should kill a heck of a lot of rabbits. We are just driving the prices up creating a false shortage.

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I haven't seen any evidence of .22 LR's being in short supply. All the local Wal Marts have a good supply as well as Bass Pro, Cabela's and Academy. A .22 LR is good for a lot of uses. While I don't care much for rimfires, I do own one .22LR autoloader.

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I should have learned to reload.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The thing is, No telling what kind of ammo tax or "bullet ID tagging" or ID marking bullets we'll have in the future. Most people ARE going to extremes BUT can you REALLY tell right now how much ammo you're going to need for the rest of your life? I have several thousand rounds BUT am always depleting them by practicing & plinking. I'm constantly having to buy/reload more as I go through a minimum of 400-800 rounds a week for all calibers combined-including (mostly) .22LR. I need to buy a BUNCH of .22LR as that's the caliber I use most when training new shooters for the 1st time. I too am having trouble finding .22LR rimfire.

6. Mark F

.22's aren't a problem here... YET! I expect it will be.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Several thousand rounds huh SB? You're a right wing extremist with an arsenal, I've got my eye you...

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It's an excellent training round, it's a good, light animal hunting round and in the event of SHTF, it will make a great form of currency, along with things like batteries. ;)

Just food for thought....

JD

9. Mark F

Reloading won't help. Some primers are all but totally GONE! Especially the small pistol primers. I haven't seen them in MONTHS!!! Bullets are getting very expensive too. So far, powder isn't too bad but its a matter of time. Large primers are disappearing fast. I'm down to about 2000 Magnum primers and about 900 large primers, and 800 small primers. I guess when they're gone... they're gone.

FYI: You can't reload rimfire ammo.

10. Mark F

Eat your heart out Benning Boy... this is just my "plinking" ammo and it's 4 boxes deep. I have 5 times this amount in "REAL" ammo. And then there's my reload cabinet. Probably 30,000 rounds total.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^^^ Definitely the hallmarks of a Right Wing Extremist. Good thing you are in Texas, otherwise the ObamaBots would be kicking your door in shortly.... :D

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Since the election of the Marxist ruler, a lot of neophytes have bought firearms and ammunition. Many of the loyal opposition have done so as well. It is a simple case of supply and demand. Prices rise or fall based on availability and demand.

I think any prudent person observing the regime's behavior and aware of history would take some precautions.

Using the word hoard is a judgment. If wanting enough ammunition to practice a bit and to protect me and mine is hoarding, tough.

Is having stored enough food and supplies to last several months hoarding too? Is anybody pissed about the cost of beans?

I believe that the situation will continue to deteriorate. Critical mass hasn't been achieved yet.
    I hope and pray that at some point we are able to return to the Constitutional Republic that used to be. But the present reality is much different and it will be some time before or if things change.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the dark.

13. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

So I don't know if this has ever been addressed here (but I seem to recall it for some reason), how much is adequate? If you do the range, say, twice a month, and expect that crime may well go up, what's a decent number?

I suspect some have enough to outlast their firearms. If that's indeed the case, I'll lighten your load.:D

14. Mark F

The way I see it JD, it's an investment.

15. Mark F

That's the whole idea! If the SHTF money won't do you any good. It's almost worthless now. But AMMO... it may as well be gold.

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I can understand a SHTF scenero, however, it's very frustrating that I cant find the componets I use. I buy 12 ga. AA load ammo several cases at a time becuse I shoot sporting clays and skeet competition. No problem buying this stuff, even now. Where I'm having a problem, just recently getting to 1000 yd. NRA "F" class competion, is who's buying Berger .30 cal. match target boat tail 210 gr. bullets? This is target ammo, it doesnt lend itself well for defence ammo. There are much better bullets for defence than this bullet. Also, who is buying CCI BRII primers? This stiff is not needed unless your shooting rifles that put holes in holes and long range and under 10" groups (20X) at 1000 yards. This whole "hoarding" thing is very frustrating for someone that shoots most all his ammo up (which is massive quanities) in the spirit of competition.

17. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

So how many rounds is a Wendy's Double Classic and a Frosty? And if I pay with a 300 Win Mag, do I get rimfires as change?

Seriously, though, I'm hearing more and more about things like storable food, ammo, and even seeds as the new currency.

We're in for a wild ride.:cool:

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I agree about the wild ride, we're already on it. :eek:

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

See, that's using your Dipstick! *WHACK!* :D

We don't know, but think about the stuff that you would NEED to take care of you and yours if there was NO INFRASTRUCTURE.

Small caliber hunting ammo would be priceless.
    Batteries for AM/UHF radios would be very important.
    Seeds to grow your own veggies would be important.
    A way to produce fresh water, as a renewable day after day resource, would be priceless.
    And probably about 100 other things that will all of a sudden become the new world currency....

JD

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'm gonna start hording toilet paper. Figure I'll have all the cigarettes, ammo and booze I can handle!! :D