HOA suing over sign for Marine Son.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Jul 26, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

2. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

The world is full of turds.

3. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

This absolutely outrages me that one of my brothers family would have to deal with something so unamerican and cold during a time of loss. HOA has been a pain in my azz before but never did I think a day would come when they went this far. What a slap in the face I am almost as appauled as when that "church" group that protest's military funerals. Funny how the people who abuse the freedom of speach are the same ones who need people like us to protect them because they cant protect themselves.....

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

This. ^^^

And some of the biggest ones are usually President of HOA's.
    :rolleyes:

5. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

It is very sad indeed.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Don't like HOA's. Don't live in a community that has one.

That's a pretty big sign too. I also don't think any of you would be commenting in their support if Fred Phelps was your neighbor and put up a sign saying "God hates Marines". If their sign/banner is covered under free speech than so would his.

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Ah! Good point Yunus. :)

[​IMG]

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Yet the HOA was ok with a sign the same size for 4 years before that. They had a sing the same size that supported the local High School where their son went and play football.

So playing HS Football is ok but fighting for your country is not ok.

ITS BS.

I hate HOA's and my wife and I are on the board of ours. I hate it I shouldn't have to be stickin my nose into others business.

Yunus sometimes it is just not as simple as don't live where one is.

9. Phrenzy

Phrenzy New Member

I don't know if I'm going to piss people off by saying it but this could only happen in a country with guaranteed free speech.
    Once anything is guaranteed by law you have two issues, the first is that the right to anything covered under that troublesome law is upheld only by law and not by common sense and secondly for all the talk of the absolute nature of the bill of rights, it is in the end just a law and can be countered by your local homeowners assoc. Laws, I.e you have the right to say anything but not on your front lawn on anything over 2x3 feet... the need for which is obvious when you have both legally assured free speech and the above mentioned phelps family types.

Here in australia free speech is a self evident truth, the argument here has always been if we had a bill of rights (something often debated here) it would imply anything not covered isn't a right and more importantly that my free speech is a legal issue, which it isn't, it's a fact. Im coming off sounding like a tea party member and that's the last thing in the world I'd wanna be but when your rights stem from government protection you loose anything not not written down In the big book of law.

I'm sure it's not always the case but can't Americans agree on anything without getting a lawyer involved?

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I am not a fan of HOA's and do not live in an HOA-governed area.

You misunderstand the Bill of Rights. It sets limits on the government; it doesn't grant rights.

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I guess if you buy into and have to join the HOA, you have to give up some of your rights. That's the price for the piece of mind that comes with knowing that your neighbors did as well.:rolleyes:

There is no way I would be able to deal with people telling me every little thing I can and can't do with my own property, or even worse- what I HAVE to do with it.
    So sorry, didn't mean to upset the collective, Comrade Commissar. Oh and feel free to kiss my a$$:D

Attached Files:

12. Phrenzy

Phrenzy New Member

Bill of rights limiting government....How's that working out for you?

Sorry that's mean...but seriously in effect they are the rights granted to you by your lawmakers, it says these are the things we will back you up on and nothing else.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  13. orangello

orangello New Member

Admitedly, it is not a perfect system. I fully support some reform of all three branches of the government here, but not the Constitution or Amendments thereto; they would just goof it up.

The Bill of Rights is about the government guarantying that these rights will not be infringed on by the government. It isn't about granting any rights, though it can appear that way.

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

They should enforce everything fairly. If they are not, then that's a fair complaint to bring up. My point was that the message should not be the issue, the sign should be.

I'm also part of an HOA. I knew going into it that the HOA existed and what the rules were and how they could be changed. There are about 300 residences in my neighborhood and we only have an annual meeting. About 30 people showed up, I was one of them. The board seemed very cool because they also seemed like people who don't like HOA's that abuse their power. The HOA exists to make sure the common areas are upkept and that we don't have to live next to a neighbor with a junkyard. One lady suggested that those with dogs should pay an extra fee(we recently had dog poo stations installed because lazy owners don't clean up). I was about to stand up and say that those with kids should also pay an extra fee, those who use the tennis courts should pay extra, those who use the sidewalks should pay extra(they wear them quicker). But the President of the HOA beat me to it, although he was more polite than I would have been.

I view HOA's in the same light as you view drug use. It's a choice that we as owners within the HOA have knowingly and willingly made. Now if your in one of the examples that I have seen where a neighborhood without an HOA decides to create one and your against it, I support you and agree that the HOA is unlawful and you should be exempt.

If your on the board, why not petition for a change to the rules so that the HOA covers common areas but anything that is private property owned by an individual is covered by the county or city rules?

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

We have guns. How's that working for you?

16. Phrenzy

Phrenzy New Member

Well I don't know anyone whos afraid of gun violence full stop and someone getting shot is national news here so not bad, I wouldn't trade incrimental increases in the availability of handgun licenses and semi auto long guns in return for what's going on in the states...

I really didn't mean to be mean but it really does seem that way to me, I love being in the states and my American friends but you won't see me speaking well of your legal system...

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How do you know what's going on here? The media??!! BWAHAHA!! :rolleyes:

Where and how long did you spend time here?

Our system is not perfect, but I can't think of another country that I'd trade it for, not even Australia.

We'll get Odumba out of office soon and make some positive changes you can speak proudly of on the internet.

So, back to the HOA......yeah... most of them suck and are a PITA!! I live in a POA (same thing). Haven't had many issues yet. :cool:

18. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Letting off Steammmmmmmmmmmmmm

AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ...... Well that didn't work, I think voting might work better........

19. Gator45

Gator45 New Member

Rules is Rules,
    if you don't like them,
    move where there is no HOA.
    Problem solved, quit whining about stuff.

People are
    asses
    everywhere you go

Not gonna help
    complaining about
    something that was
    in the by laws when you
    moved in.

If'n ya did read 'em.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The only Reason HOA's are around is because too many people can't take care of their own crap without some one telling them when.

I have 28 homes in ours and I have 8 people who haven't paid and it was due in April. We have 2 that haven't paid in two years. One wont pay because I refuse to cut her effing grass. Grass cutting in the home owners responsibility. The other owner who hasn't paid in 2 years has screamed BITCH at my wife. We have taken our bank account from under $2k to over $10k in a few years. Yet we have people accusing us of mismanaging the funds because I purchased a chainsaw and a wheelbarrow. It is a constant thing we have to do crap every day and this is a small HOA. Really how hard is it to NOT park in an area the is painted and marked NO PARKING. Every other week I have to send letters because someone has grass 2' tall.

The people who ran it before us paved half the road. No they didn't have the full road half way down. The paved the road on one side all the way down. WHO THE HELL does that stupid crap. They never raised the dues when the price of trash service went up and the price of electricity went up. NOPE for 5 years we were paying more for trash than we were bring in per house. Trash for a year was $300 a year and the dues were $250. How stupid is that.

Back on topic.

A sign the same size was there for 4 years prior. They changed the sign and now there is a problem. Seams to me that the problem is the message not the sign.