HMR Problems

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by photopro, Feb 28, 2012.

1. photopro

photopro New Member

Have any of you guys heard of problems with HMR ammo ? Here in the UK we have had a worrying number of instances where a bullet has not left the barrel, this has gone un-noticed so the next round has caused an explosion.
    A friend of mine was shooting with a newbie and this happened, it blew the bolt out and also blew the magazine off firing two rounds in there. Fortunately no-one was injured though I think his ears are still ringing. The dealer has informed the importer of the ammo (he hasn't said which it is) and they are going to replace the rifle but it's only a matter of time before someone loses an eye or is killed.
    I know most experienced shooters would realise something wasn't right before firing a second shot, I had a similar thing once with a 22LR bullet however mine had left the barrel but I checked the bore anyway.
    I just wondered whether you had any knowledge about this ?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not to sound like a complete dweeb, but have no frame of reference for HMR, other than (here in the colonies) Hornady Magnum Rimfire.

Can you expound a bit?

3. photopro

photopro New Member

That's the calibre in question and it seems like one or two companies are having quality control issues with potentially deadly consequences.

4. c3shooter

CCI is loading the .17 HMR ammo sold under the names CCI, Federal, Hornady, and Remington. Ammo is also lodded by Winchester, PMC, and Sellier & Belloit.

I have not seen any recalls, OTHER than Remington making a recall of their semi-auto .17 HMR. I would expect an obstructed bore to do damage to the barrel (ringing it at the obstruction) but would not expect a catastrophic failure.

Have you folks seen otherwise?

5. photopro

photopro New Member

This is a quote from a UK forum November last year:

Pretty serious stuff I'm sure you'll agree.

6. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

No doubt! I have only heard of the Remington 597 recall, as C3 mentions above; never anything about .17HMR ammo.

What you describe is what we usually refer to as a squib: a round with a primer only or with too little gunpowder. These usually cause damage to the barrel, although I've never heard of one causing the severe damage you've seen. Although I've never experienced one, I have heard that an OOB (out of battery) ignition of a round can & will cause extensive damage.

Were any/most of the affected firearms semi-automatic?

7. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

All were semi-auto's.

8. c3shooter

Photopro- have never seen damage THAT extensive from a rimfire squib load, and the Browning T-bolt, while a straight pull, IS a bolt action- Browning generally has a reputation as a VERY good gun.

An "out of battery'" firing can blow a mag out, but taking a chunk of the stock is extraordinary.

I shoot a couple of the .17 HMRs, and had not heard anything on the ammo- but ANY maker can screw up one round out of several million (and if you are the poor sap that got that ONE round, you really do not care about the other good ones)

Please keep us posted on anything that comes out of this, and we will do same from this end.

9. photopro

photopro New Member

Here's another post from last month:

IN november i reported my gun problems. with a head getting stuck in the barrel wrighting the gun off a ruger 77/17 HMR.Well the bullet manufacture replaced the rounds and a new gun .I must say john at the GUNROOM has been great.Went and collected it on monday cleaned the barrel out. Put the scope on and went and zeroed it. The mag was faulty but i had three more from my old gun. so on we went last night a couple of rounds diden't load i couldn't shut the bolt.Put those rounds to one side.Then we noticed that one didn't load and closed the bolt not quite right. unloaded the gun and the head STAYED IN THE BARREL . So we put the gun to one side and used the other .17 hmr a cz. This gun fired aprox 20 rounds he ran out of his ammo. So we checked some of mine for zero. That was ok on we went shooting rabbits. Then the same thing one got stuck up the chimny this was about after 8 rounds two guns disabled in one night.The first gun was useing winchester in november. Last night Hornady all new gear.

Various issues with the ammo this time and in two different rifles.

10. photopro

photopro New Member

Further HMR incidents

Dated 3-3-12

Dated 4-3-12

Today 6-3-12

[With thanks to the original posters of The Stalking Directory for these reports]

It's all well and good the rep being honest about the problem and admitting they knew but how would they have explained their silence - i.e. no recall - if someone had been killed ? This could still happen.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Very odd indeed! Are there any "official" reports from ammo manufacturers selling in England??

Arent you guys on a strick allotment basis as far as ammo? Turn in 20 cases, get 20 rounds?

12. photopro

photopro New Member

The only way this situation has come to light is through shooting websites and thank God it has, I get the feeling nothing would have been said if there hadn't been such widespread negative publicity. It is being reported that sales of HMR in the UK have plummetted as has ammunition usage, so folks already owning HMR's are electing to use a different calibre of weapon until this thing pans out and they can make a more informed decision.
    When a Section 1 Firearms Certificate is granted the weapon is named and the quantity of ammunition it takes, for a HMR it could be buy 1,000 hold 1,200, however for deer calibre rifles which obviously won't have so many rounds through them it may be buy 500 hold 600 this can be varied according to the expected usage. We don't "turn cases in", I'm not sure where that came from, I have hundreds of 6.5x55 cases waiting to be reloaded, in fact the quantity authorised to be held is increased if the S1 holder intends to reload.
    I believe there was a public acceptance of the poblem (see a previous post) by one of the importers, plus in I think all cases the damaged rifles have been or are going to be replaced, an acceptance of responsibility in most law courts.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The Squib round doesn't cause the explosion...its that bullet from the short-powder-load-round being stuck in the barrel
    when you load & fire the Next Round that causes a Kaboom! Much like having mud stuck in the end of a barrel...very bad.

If you hear a funny POW when you fire, Always stop and check your weapon...chances are high something is very wrong.
    Happens to .22LR's a lot, especially with Remington Golden Bullet ammo.

Its the reason I always carry a 3-piece cleaning rod to the range, along with a full cleaning kit...
    never know what'll happen any particular day...best to be prepared :)

14. photopro

photopro New Member

More rounds coming to light with small cracks in the neck of the case, once moisture gets in it's obvious what is going to happen.

15. c3shooter

Did some research, found some mention of split necks, usually on the BLUE tipped Hornady ammo that seems to be made for the Euro market (ours here in the States usually have red polymer tips) Cracks are being attributed to lack of annealing of rimfire cases (they are primed, then necked, so no annealing possible)