Hmmmm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by deg, Oct 6, 2014.

1. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hmmmm and done!

My daughter is getting interested in a little shoot'n. Think I will start her out on a .22 autoloader, before gradually working her up - HMMMMM, what to buy her....:confused: it'll eventually be my grandsons, I suspect....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. MrShotty

MrShotty New Member

I have a 22/45, so I'm a fan of the Mark series. Of course, theres many others to pick from. SR22 if you want more of a modern handgun feel. I'm just a biased Ruger fan :D

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I take it your daughter is the mother of your grandson? I ask because I am guessing we are talking about an adult child. I want to make sure were are not talking about teaching a 5 year old for the first time.

If we are indeed talking about an adult I think they will have a great time with that autoloader. I would start out putting just a couple rounds in at first. Then after they have shown that they understand your safety instruction, I would let them fill it up all the way. I always do that with new shooters. I am assuming that you will give them proper safety instruction before letting them handle a gun.

4. deg

Just went to the Limber website - honestly, it kinda sucks. Does Kimber make a .22 auto-loader? I do like Ruger, it is surely on my list....

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I just realized were are in the handgun section. I have a Ruger 22/45. Awesome shooting pistol. I have trained several new shooters with it. Every one of them loved it. I would still start them out with a couple rounds at a time though. It is a lot easier to do something stupid with a pistol than with a rifle.

6. deg

:) yes my daughter is the mother of my grandson :). funny, reminds me of the Ray Stevens song "I am my own grandpa" too funny a song there!.

Anyway, he is currently 2 1/2 yrs old, she is only 22 yrs old, and a small build, a girly-girl kind of girl. I suspect the gun, with a crap load of others, will eventually be passed down to him. But this particular .22 - as soon as he is ready!! Waiting on that day every day :D

7. deg

That's 2 for the Ruger 22/45...I am going to the Ruger site now!

8. deg

Nice looking gun, that Ruger. So tell me - does anyone make a .22 auto that will shoot both long and short?

9. deg

crud, I think I just found the Limber .22 in a 1911 frame. That dude is $1200 also.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Make it 3 votes for the Ruger- and no, they do not make a .22LR/ .22 Short in an auto. There are a very few .22 auto rifles that can do that- Remingtons with a floating chamber.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Another Vote For Ruger !...................

12. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Another vote for the Ruger 22/45...I dont own one, but thats what the range had us use in the FIRST-SHOTS safety class..Gave us 1 round at a time..the repetition of loading the mag/cycling/clearing/etc that one round 10 times was a good way to start out.

13. deg

Well alrighty then the Ruger will get extreme consideration... or do I need a new O/U? Dang-it!!!

14. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Another vote for the Ruger!!!!

15. deg

Sounds like Rugers are the way to go.... but, but, what about me and a new O/U!? :(

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Ruger - if you are around to field strip and clean it. Otherwise don't do it to your kin.

Drop a hint that that you don't need anything fancy for your birthday, just a new o/u.

:D

17. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

The little Browning, that loads through the stock is very light and handy. It might just suit here now and it won't be out of commission or out of place 60 years down the road. They may make a juvenile stocked one.
    The .22 lever action is made with a juvenile stock.
    Neither is inexpensive but they are quality and satisfying to own and use. The Weatherby was a great auto long time ago but I think it has aluminum in it now. It is heavier though. I hunt squirrels with my Browning when I can pry it out of my Son's hands or he is gone. :)

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Oh.....I didnt know we were talking about rifles...Henry .22 lever for sure...It will be a family treasure long after your "in real estate".....

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There seems to be some confusion on whether you are looking for a pistol or a rifle. The Ruger MK pistols are good but a PITA to clean. I would look at the SR22 with the threaded barrel. Better resale value if you decide to sell or if you want to suppress it. Now if you are looking at a rifle, CDNN has some good prices on 10-22's but add $15 for shipping. The S&W 15-22 is more expensive but has the advantage of an adjustable stock, better sights and is easy to clean.

20. deg

:) I didn't think I was either, somewhere we took a left turn Clyde...:D

A .22 auto loader for my small framed 22 year old daughter. But "I" might want a new O/U Beretta or Browning or maybe a Winchester 101.