HK45 police trade in

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Budasac, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Budasac

Budasac New Member

Hey guys, I have an HK45 (USP?)coming my way and wanted some opinions from people who own them. I'm getting it from a friend who is a LEO. The department is in the process of replacing weapons. He's going to buy his back and offered to get one for me. 9 years old with between 5 and 6000 rounds through it. It's gonna cost me around $400. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

Seemed like a good deal to me. What do you guys think?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Should be fine. Not a bad price. I've seen other police trade-in USPs running around $500-599. So it sounds like a decent deal.

3. Budasac

Budasac New Member

My only concern is that I won't actually see the gun till it's mine. My buddy will get the pistol he's been carrying that the department issued him. The second one, I don't how that works. Not sure if he's gonna have a selection to look at and choose from or if they just randomly give him a gun? I've never really bought a used gun before. I have a Glock23 that was "used", but I bought it from a friend who only used to qualify once and it sat in the safe after that. So it only had about 300 rounds through it. So I'm a little apprehensive about that but, it seemed too good to pass up. Always room for another pistol in the safe.(And I don't have an HK yet.)

4. cotex

cotex New Member

Can I get hell ya, hk is a brand that is good for a life time. I bought my 45c for just under$1100 and smiles when it came in. Fun to wear, shoot and hold! Great company!!!!

Tex

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well, teh good news is H&Ks are good solild guns that will run well for 100,000 or more rounds if properly maintained. Police departments get some significant support from H&K in training armorers and perfroming maintenance on duty guns. Most cops carry a lot more than they shoot. If it is indeed in need of maintenance when you get it, it will likely be mostly in need of springs which you should be able to get and replace.

I can't speak for H&K customer service currently for individual gun owners, but they used to be a bit slower in resonse to individuals that agencies, and police departments as far as helping out with problems.

I bought a Police Trade-in Glock that I took to the factory in Georgia, and they went throught the whole gun while I waited, and replaced all the srpings and internals for free. I don't know if H&K will offer the same level of support. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did. You could always call and ask what kind of support they would offer on a police trade in that you bought.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The original USP design is one of the most tested platforms on the planet. Most frames wear out in 20K rds but the USP was designed for service use & abuse, it went 30K of p+ and was still ticking.

Police are a funny crowd, some only shoot just before qualifying so they don't embarass themselves too badly. Others, sign up for all the fee ammo they can get and shoot the hell out of the gun. Which are you going to get ? Who knows but genuine HK should be durable enough to outlast 2 owners. Especially with ammo availablity & prices these days.

7. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

6,000 rounds on a police trade in, good for that officer, nice to see he actually attended range training :)

8. Budasac

Budasac New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'm feeling pretty good about this deal now. Still not crazy about buying it sight unseen but, sounds like I don't have much to worry about. At the very least it should be in good working order since an officer is still carrying it. (They're waiting for all the new guns to come in so they can swap the whole department out at once.)

@G30USMC - it's funny you mention that. I know a bunch of cops but only two that actually like to shoot. I belong to a Bullseye club that requires prospective members to qualify before being considered for membership. They said very few officers who apply are able to qualify (20 consecutive shots on a 20" target at 75').

9. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

I frequent the range very often, and try to get my coworkers to come with me, I have only a handful that come with me regularly

10. Budasac

Budasac New Member

You would think that since they carry for a living and may actually have to defend themselves that they would want to be as proficient as possible with their weapon. Some officers I've met don't even like guns and have very little knowledge about them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

What size tgt are you using ? I'd like to try it. My club's indoor range 25ys and in. I normally shoot @50' and @ 25' - with rapid fire at combat distances.

When feeling creative, I try to simulate IDPA setups. Problem: My club has rules against firing n maneuver training w loaded weapons. Insurance issues - no drawing either. (Guess they are afraid someone is going to Glock themselves)

12. Budasac

Budasac New Member

If your asking about Bullseye, it's a NRA B-8 "Official 25-Yard Timed and Rapid Fire Pistol Target".

In competition, "Timed Fire" would consist of 2 - 5 shot strings, 20 seconds for each string.
    "Rapid Fire" is also 2 - 5 shot strings but only 10 seconds each. So once the target turns, you have 10 seconds to fire 5 shots before it turns away.)

There's also a "Slow Fire" round but that uses a smaller target. So a Relay would consist of one round each of Slow, Timed, and Rapid Fire. 30 shots for a possible 300 points. A "900" Match would be 3 Relays with 90 shots total. This is indoor anyway. In the summer they shoot outside, then the Slow Fire round is at 50 yards.

Also, Bullseye must be shot One Handed. Most shooters keep the other hand in their pocket.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I didn't know they still fired at 50 yds. I thought they were moviing to more "realistic distances."

Got lucky - a buddy got married and his wife made him liquidate most of his gun selection. I got his SW 60 and he qualified every year w it & his service 686 back in the day. Don't think he could have hit reliably w a SW 60 @ 50 yds.

An old friend, said 90% of shooter couldn't hit a cigarette pack @ 25 yds. I believe he was talking about .22 pistols but I'm not certain. Why I was wondering what size tgt you were shooting at. Anyone can shank or pull a rd and you did say 20 in a row.

I was asking about your pistol club - is bullseye your standard for entry ?

14. Budasac

Budasac New Member

You don't have to shoot Bullseye to get into the club, you can use 2 hands to qualify, but you still need to put 20 holes in B-8 target with 20 shots. You also have to qualify by caliber. So if you qualify for the club with a .22 that's all you can shoot. (It's marked on your Club ID) Also the club is old school and set up for competition. Turning targets fixed at 25 yards and that's it. No shooting any closer.

The league I shoot in is .22 only because the neighbors complained about noise years back I was told. The club does sponsor a number of official indoor center fire matches throughout the winter though.
    Most guys are shooting S&W 41, converted 1911s, Ruger MKs worked over, and few Hammerli. I'm using a Ruger 22/45 Target with a little work done to it. I still need a trigger and sear and a few more things to clean it up a bit more. I have an SR1911 for center fire but looking to pick up another 1911 in .9mm to build for competition.

I just started shooting in Aug. I wanted to join the club because it's only 15 minutes away. They encourage all new members to at least try Bullseye competition so I figured "why not". I like that it tracks my progress since all the stats are posted and someone else is scoring my targets. As long as I get a little better every week I'm happy.

15. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I used to have an hk usp 45 ss slide that i purchased in 1997. It was a terrific gun! I sold it to pay some medical bills about 8 years ago and totally regret it.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

16. IvanHawk

IvanHawk New Member

HK45C - u can drive a truck over it. It isn't finicky. Anyone can break it down and assemble it. Unlike many guns that can be damaged during poor cleaning methods this gun is tough and simple. Your price is very reasonable, but if you want one then buy it even if it costed more. Mine new was also $1100. They never really depreciate. They don't wear out. Buy it and keep it forever.

17. mdwalkerjr

mdwalkerjr New Member Supporter

I have a USP 45, HK 45 & a HK 45c. Love all three. Of course love my Kimber and Colt Commander too. ;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

18. jyo

jyo New Member

I've had the USP full-size model for many years now (and a 45C too)---you won't be sorry...

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

One point of interest. The USP Compact has a different recoil system than the USP's patented system that went through the military trials. IAW HK stds the captive recoil system s/b changed every 5K rounds.

The HK45C is the second generation and they made some improvements. I honestly don't recall if they tinkered w captive recoil spring.

PS: $400 is a deal but I would change out springs - ounce of prevention...;).

I bought a CZ 50 East German Police trade in - it was factory reconditioned ie it's one hell of a pistol. Germans are meticulous when it comes to firearms or maintenance in general.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014