Hk vp70

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by KBlue, Jul 20, 2010.

1. KBlue

KBlue New Member

Has anyone ever shot one of these? I saw one used at a shop in south bend Indiana the other day. It was the civilian model. The saleswoman gave me a little history lesson on it, saying it was the first polymer framed pistol and that the military version has 3 shot burst mode and a stock that doubles as a holster. The thing looks uncomfortable as hell to shoot though. What do you think?

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

They were fairly common back in the '80's, and I shot several. The trigger pull was long, gritty and very heavy.

They are a cool piece of history, but I would only have one as a "usable curiosity". Not for anything serious.

They were durable and reliable, however.

What does she want for it?

3. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

At least one of our regulars owns one, though I can't remember who. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

If the price was right, I'd own one just for the history.

4. hemiram

hemiram New Member

I had one, about 1980 or so. It had a very odd trigger, to say the least. It shot ok though. I sold it and took the money and bought a Colt Combat Commander. I should have kept the Vp70, as the Colt was a huge dog. Not one straight piece on it, and it jammed constantly.

I think this would be a good collectible just for being the first polymer gun.

5. KBlue

KBlue New Member

$675 if i remember correctly. I wish I had that amount of money to spare.

6. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 New Member

I shot a VP-70 in the 70's. It had the heaviest trigger of any pistol I have ever fired. The guy who had it ordered it and we all used it one time. I'd estimate a 15-17 pound trigger pull. It got swapped off pronto.

Interestingly enough, the VP-70 was the grand daddy runner of the Glock in trigger function using striker and no manual safeties and in the use of a Polymer frame. It was way ahead of it's time.

Flash