Hk mp5 a5 .22

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by loganlaw8110, Sep 16, 2011.

1. loganlaw8110

loganlaw8110 New Member

Hi,
    I'm new here, but I am thinking about getting the HK MP5 A5, (Umarex). I like it, but would like to do a major mod. You guessed it, cut down the barrel to 9" (actually, 1st guess would be go full auto). I know I need to get a Form 4 and will do so before any attempts are made at a modification and do everything legally! Does anyone know who could do it? Thx, Daniel

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

3. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Contact a good gunsmtih that does good NFA firearms work. Its not hard to shorten a 22lr barrel since its primarily a blow back cartidge and not a gas-operated gun. In a gas operated gun shortening the barrel can affect cycle rate and even reliablity. Most of the work can be done on a lathe with the right tools.
    $200 tax stamp plus work, make sure its what you want.
    Gonna add a silencer to it? May as well get that paperwork going through too while you're going at it with the ATF.

4. loganlaw8110

loganlaw8110 New Member

Hk mp5 a5

Ruzai,
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I've got to find a good gunsmith. My son is also in Colorodo, he's stationed at Buckley. I used to go to Colorodo Springs a lot and really like the area. He loves it, and has been there since May. I went to the range today. I have a few guns; CZ 75 B, CZ Kadet, and 2 WW 2 German P-38's (Walter & Mauser). Have to run. Thanks for the advice. Regards, Daniel

5. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

No problem. I did a quick check on NFAdealers.com and it looks like you have a couple choices in places to start looking. Check out the website and make a couple calls to the dealers listed, they'll get you pointed in the right direction and be more familiar with the specifics of the laws and prices and all that.