HK dilemma

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by krisko09, Mar 18, 2013.

1. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

So I've been saving back a while and have decided its time to spend. Problem is, I could get a 1911 in 9mm or 45 for less than $600.. or I could pay $750 and get a usp 9mm.. I know hk has an awesome rep, just curious if everyone thinks it's worth the price. It's a full size with three magazines. Used but nra rated like new.

2. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

If I had 750 to drop on a used USP I would save a little more and buy a brand new one. New is what, 100 more bucks?

3. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I can tell you that my HK45 is the very best straight out of the box .45 I have ever shot. at 25 yards I was able to put the rounds in an area about the size of a silver dollar.

4. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

compairing an 1911 t an HK is like compairing an one speed bicycle to a crotch rocket... yeah there is that much difference
    1911's feed problems, ammo fussy, spring tend to wear out after only a few thousand rounds, limited mag cap, rust resistance not so good,...
    HK will feed anything you can fit in the mag reliably, springs are good for more rounds than you will cycle it though, higher mag cap, and are better than SS on rust resistance!

5. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Yeah, I've been leaning more and more towards the hk. I just wish it we the compact model and not the full frame (can't imagine a full frame hk being fun to carry). But hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Byron brought up why not by new.. bc I can't find one new. Everywhere I've seen them in stock all they have is 45 ( don't want 45) and they are upwards of $950.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Why 9mm ? Is this is range pistol ? USP is older model, P30 is the newer model. I prefer DA/SA w safety/decocker but they make a LEM trigger 5.5-8.5 lb. ( parts are on sale right now for $77 )

I like HK but at $750 you could also get a lot of other pistols. Are you open to other models ?

7. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Do you live in Ga?

8. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I am. Got suggestions?

And no Byron, not in GA

9. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Byron, I tried to reply to your most recent pm but it says your pm folder is full. Might wanna clear it out lol. But if you have that info just pm it to me, I'd really appreciate it.

10. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Just got a email to clean it out. I'll send you a PM in just a sec. Sorry bout the hassle.

11. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

It's no hassle at all. I appreciate the help!

12. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Welcome. Hopefully you can get what your looking for.

13. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

Actually it's no worse and is slightly better than the 1911... I have been CC for over 10 years with my HK USP .45 full sized strong side pancake, never been outed and it is as natural as walking....:D

Now that is like asking someone after they have had cake if eating some crackers with sawdust fill is OK..:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I used to compete in IPSC, it's a lot of fun and the combo of speed vs accuracy taught me many lessons. Numerous set-ups put tgts at different ranges to prevent people from utilizing "smoking guns" technique.

Lessons Learned: reloaders could find a load to meet power factor and POA=POI. This is important cause you must spend the range time to know where your chosen load hits at various ranges. 5 ft to 50 yds.

Buy the highest quality adj sights you can get and have them professionally installed. You can adjust POI for any load, any range, @ any time. HK makes pistols for this type of competition but they are expensive. (& worth it) I installed the Fiber Optic sight ($34.95) & HKs adj sight ($99). Even put them on my USP C. (I don't have anyone who can work on HK triggers local).

NOTE: I am Not talking about CC pistols designed for SD ranges.

I really like HK quality but bang for the buck - I'd look hard at SPR's 5.25 or SW MP equivalent. Both NIB s/b in your $750 strike zone. Dont forget $$$ for extra magazines.

FYI: I competed w Colt Combat Elite & Officers model just for fun. 1911 - Triggers, properly tuned - are hard to beat.

15. msup752

msup752 New Member

I loved my USPc in 45. I am not a fan of my 1911 (ducks!).
    However. My P7 is my favorite of all HK's.

Used HK's were $900 last fall around here. Yikes.

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

This is a previous thread I wrote to someone else. I was explaining some things to a young man. Some of it addresses your question. HK is the better in my opinion. Sig kicks *** too. I recommend a 40 or 45 for USP. Having a 9mm USP is like having a 9mm 1911. Go for a Sig if you have to have a 9mm.

The post:
    You you are looking for only single action gun, then a 1911 is your best bet. Guns can also be both double action and single action. This means the first shot the hammer is down. The next shots the hammer will automatically stay back and there is less of a trigger pull. Guns like Glock are only double action striker fire. You will get the same longer trigger pull each time. I recommend a DA and SA semi-auto. I recommend an HK USP .40 Caliber. You can get in full size (for the home) or compact (concealed carry). The gun is a polymer frame (like a glock), that has a decocker and safety. The spring makes the recoil of the gun very light. It has very good three dots sights. It is German engineered and made for the battle field. It will take any abuse you give it. It has 13 rounds magazines for full size, but you can buy extended mags. It is used around the world by military and police. I feel a gun with all these features (DA/SA, safety and decocker) is important because it offers various carrying options for various situations. It is one of the best handguns on the planet. Sig P226 is the best handgun on the planet, but costs a lot. The Seals use this gun. You can get the Sig P226 in .40 too. The Sig is a metal gun with no safety. This is a full size pistol though. Sig offers compact versions too, but once again it will cost money. I own both and will post a picture for you in a little bit. I have the pics on my IPAD.

Attached Files:

17. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Why is the sig 226 better than the USP ? Sig 226 doesn't not come in 45 cal. I've shot the Sig 220 - great gun but I'd rather have HK.

I came from 1911 background - only HK can be carried cocked n locked safely - just like a 1911 or double action w safety on/off your choice. Want a DAO action - it can be done w LEM from 5.5-8.5 lb pull. trigger reset will be shortened as well.

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I suggested the Sig because he was looking for a 9mm. I am not going to hijack this post by comparing Sig and Hk, that is for another thread. Feel free to do that, I would love to hear opinions on the two powerhouses. I carry my USP and suggest it to others because of the various carry options for various situations. You can see that in my other posts. In fact, some of the Sig owners have called me on it. I use my sig for comp. It is an awesome and precise piece of artistic work!

19. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I'm not necessarily looking for 9.. that's just what the lgs has.

20. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

The OP is on the fence and seeking suggestions ergo - no hyjack necessary. Any honest opinion pro/con is welcome.

I am always curious why people modify or customize their guns and of course, did it help improve the action, accuracy, reliability etc.

HK - not a lot of aftermarket support. I Really wanted white outline, adj rear sights. HK - you take what you can get - flat black - and be thankful. ;). Only one co makes fiber optic sights for HK and they are set .250 or higher to be visible w suppressors. This is not a low profile set-up and you should know that going in.

I can try to get some pictures if you'd like ?