History - Happened 25 Years Ago to Date

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

At 11:38 a.m. EST, on January 28, 1986, the space shuttle Challenger lifts off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, and Christa McAuliffe is on her way to becoming the first ordinary U.S. civilian to travel into space. McAuliffe, a 37-year-old high school social studies teacher from New Hampshire, won a competition that earned her a place among the seven-member crew of the Challenger. She underwent months of shuttle training but then, beginning January 23, was forced to wait six long days as the Challenger's launch countdown was repeatedly delayed because of weather and technical problems. Finally, on January 28, the shuttle lifted off.

Seventy-three seconds later, hundreds on the ground, including Christa's family, stared in disbelief as the shuttle exploded in a forking plume of smoke and fire. Millions more watched the wrenching tragedy unfold on live television. There were no survivors.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

"They have slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God."

3. Mema

Mema New Member

It is hard to believe that it has been that long. My children were small then and I did not even like firearms yet.

4. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I can still remember that day, I was in kindergarten, and they rolled TV's in on big carts for us to watch.

5. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

That had to be horrible for the families to witness.

6. David26

David26 New Member

I was in kindergarden 2 and remember them rollin the tv in so we could watch and then sudently turning it off with no expenation to what just happened

7. orangello

orangello New Member

IIRC, i didn't get to watch it live, but they told us at school.

Wow, i feel old now. I got my driver's license that year.

8. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Man, I was only five, but I remember watching it live on TV and then all over the news for the entire night.

9. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I wasn't even born yet, but it is horrible just imagining that occuring.

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

True American Heros, evey one!!

11. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I forget, which gun restrictions were imposed on that one?

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It was my freshman year at the University of Iowa. Got back to the room and roommate was in front of the TV watching the coverage. I still have a copy of the following day's newspaper in a trunk.

Attached Files:

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

We didn't get to see it live but were told of the news almost immediately. Apparently it was on in the teachers lounge and word of it spread fast. I remember we had a moment of silence and many said prayers to the brave that were lost.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I remember that, but I won't tell you how old I was when that happened. It was a shock as we had all seen several shuttle launches and we knew immediately that it was no more.

Think about the guts it takes to agree to let yourself be attached to enough power to launch your arse into space. Then, you have to get back home. Heroes and role models.