Hillbilly "Lead Sled"

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by chrispy, Nov 20, 2011.

1. chrispy

chrispy New Member

I started a little project today. I am working on building my own recoil reducing bench rest. So far I have been able to make everything out of scrap I had laying around. I need to make the front rest, the rear butt holder,find two 25 lb weights, wire wheel everything and paint it. I hope to have it all done by this weekend so I can sight my gun in (the easy way) for deer season next week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the grainy pics i will try to get some better ones

2. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I like the screwjack, a little finer control than the POS on a Led-Sled, I was thinking of replacing mine with a small hydraulic bottle jack.
    Keep us posted, I do some redneck engineering myself!:D

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I made the front rest replacement on my lead sled out of the screw of a c-clamp w a foam covered metal cup welded to it. I welded a 1/4" plate to the sled after i drilled a hole through it and welded a nut on it. It works pretty well if i do say so myself;) iv fixed two ther ones the same way. Not everyone has a welding shop and a bunch of scrap steel and junk tools at their disposal though.

4. skipme56

skipme56 New Member

Now I know what to do with that worthless jack! That is great! Mind if I borrow that idea?

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Maybe a little rubber padding on top to prevent scratches and such? Cool design.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

dunk the top of the jack in tool dip. polish that sucker up with a wire brush angle grinder then primer it and i would rubberize the whole thing with tool dip.

7. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Nothing 'Hillbilly' about it. I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

8. chrispy

chrispy New Member

Well I didn't get much time to work on it tonight. I wire wheeled the whole thing and put the first coat of paint on the frame. It doesn't look too bad but it is going to need a second coat (maybe tomorrow). I need to fab up a holder for the butt of the gun, weld it to the top rail, paint it, and make a front bag and cover for the rear.
    I will post pics when I have something substantial. And yes Skipme56 you are more than welcome to copy it.

9. chrispy

chrispy New Member

It's done, well almost. I need to put sand in the bag and sew it up. Add some bolts to the bottom of the frame to hold the weights in place. I also want to put a knob on the screw of the jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  10. 1982flh80

1982flh80 New Member

American Made Ingenuity

Would be really cool to sandblast and powdercoat the whole rig for a really durable finish. I'll bet that with your skill you could whip up a sandblasting booth in a minute. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Hey, form follows function! I give it an A+ ! Sometimes making things yourself is just more fun. I have a brass tumbler that I scabbed together out of an old ice cream maker, some casters and a plastic sun tea jar. It's polished my brass for over 25 years just as good as a store-bought model. :)

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

very nice and Im guessing pretty cheap to build . I would have probably built it just a little different to my liking after looking at and studying your rig . I would have moved your adjustment pin to the back as it would give you a few more inches of adjustment and you could eliminate some of the depth adjustment rail . and I would have turned the jack to where the acme rod and connect are below the gun so you could easily reach under and turn it up or down while still looking thru the scope .
    But hey awesome job!!! and far more superior than some of the junk out there for hundred of $$$
    I love to home brew my own stuff also , I built a linear bow press / draw board combo posted a couple pics up online and got a email from ez presses lawyer telling me I have used their design which with the drawboard they have nothing like mine , their press fingers need changed for certain bows mine do not , I can press any bow or X bow no matter how big the cam is with my setup without any changes. My acme screw drive was bigger and heavier but requires less turns to go from 22"- 46" but if I proceeded to build and sell any they would see me in court for patent infringement .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

That thing needs a cup holder and some duct tape to be truly Hillbilly! But hot damn, kudos to you as that is pretty darn cool. Congrats ;)

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Very cool idea. I like it.