Hiking Holster

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by colmustard, Aug 27, 2014.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I am looking for suggestions for a good hiking holster. I will be doing a 14 mile hike and it will be in black bear country. I will either bring a 1911 in .45 or a FNP in .45. So what are some good choices?

I thought drop leg for the FNP or maybe get one of the leather tanker style issue 1911 holsters. I need to be able to have a light pack and my camel back on also.

I would love to have one of the guides choice holsters http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php but the wait time is too long.

2. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

This sounds like a perfect excuse to buy a new .44 Mag and one of those handy chest holsters.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. colmustard

colmustard New Member

That would be nice, but I do not have the funds as of now :( so I must make due. Years past on hikes I have used a maxpedition monsoon gearslinger with the holster that is built into it. But the pack is a little heavy for how long the hike is and because it slings it will not be comfortable with my camelback.

4. colmustard

colmustard New Member

The safe packer looks interesting. I want to go as light as possible or I would take my maxpedition.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I do not like the tactical holsters that drop down on my thigh. To get the holster tight enough not to bother me it would be like a tourniquet.

6. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

The most comfortable is going to be across the shoulder rig like the guide holsters you mentioned.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I commonly hike that far and always just use a standard hip holster. Though I often carry a lighter pistol.

8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

When I am using my back pack I use a X-draw holster as the grips on the gun does not hit my back pack which makes it easer to access/draw than my normal 'strong side' hip holster which results in the grips making contact with the lower part of my pack frame.:)

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

10. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I have one of those green holsters SSGN_Doc and yes they are nice, but I am just worried about it being a little annoying on the hip the while time chugging through the Appalachians. But I may end up going with hip carry.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

They make drop leg and shoulder harness kits for them. I just found that it stays put pretty well and fits for several pistols.

12. nelsonorway1978

nelsonorway1978 New Member

Blackhawk makes good polymer holsters. They are lightweight. I'd look into kydex makers. Kydex holsters are very light and have no break in period, and no wearing out, like leather would have. Available in IWB, OWB, drop leg or whatever you want. 14 miles is a long way, so you want your set up to be light

13. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I had the same need last week and went with the Maxpedition JK-1 for a Glock 29 carrying Buffalo Bore 220gr hard cast. We hiked 11.5 miles and it worked great on my packs waistband.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have carried a Thompson contender in I chest holster with a heavy pack on my back. Carried it for about 5 hours in heavy brush.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

In bear country you want a chest holster and very quick access. No flaps to impede the draw but it should have at least a thumb break for retention. If the bear manages to get on you chances are you wont be able to draw from a hip holster. One more reason why revolvers were preferred. You can fire a revolver with the muzzle in contact. You probably wont have any problems with black bears as long as you dont do something stupid. These were precautions used in big bear country.

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

Watch a couple nutnfancy videos on youtube

That will show you the best place to carry and a good choice of type of holster.

However, if you want to get back alive, there are things you should do to increase your odds.

Glock 20 with serious ammo.

Go with other people. Never let another in the group out of sight. Never. Not to dump, nap, sleep, wash, period.

Go with a personal transponder fastened to you. Imperitive.

In the last 100 years, thousands of people in national parks and woodland trails go missing without a trace.

Missing 411 Documentary http://youtu.be/J7jDy_rwFls

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a holster similar to Blackhawk to carry my revolver/s. It rides a little lower off the belt and it has six ammo loops that are very handy. I would tie a rope on a 45acp so I could swing it around and hit the bear in the head with it. You could carry two 45 acp's to make a bolo to trip the bear.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter