Highschool chemical attack

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by magnumman, Dec 5, 2012.

  1. MoreAltitude

    MoreAltitude New Member

    456
    0
    0
    That sir, is truly mindboggeling! A HazMat team, really? Glad I wasn't there, someone might have noticed the tritium in my watch face and quarantined the whole town! Elemental mercury is only dangerous in vapor form (yes there are other very dangerous forms used in specific applications). Exposure to a little liquid is unlikely to cause any harm, let alone major health effects. Many older people remember playing around with mercury from broken thermometers when they were kids; they haven’t all died.
     
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

  2. Overkill0084

    Overkill0084 Active Member

    4,910
    2
    38
    Me for one. In science class at school in California of all places.

    IT WAS CONTAINED IN THE THERMOMETER! It only becomes hazmat if the thermometer is broken. I wonder if these same morons have ever had one of those CFL lights break in their homes? Did they call for a full hazmat response?

    [​IMG]
     
  3. Mosin

    Mosin Well-Known Member

    7,370
    172
    63
    Better call and tell them that their parking lot is full of cars with LEAD batteries!!!!!!
     
  4. primer1

    primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

    9,739
    157
    63
    My physics teacher had a small container of mercury, he would let us play with it. When I stuck my finger in it (joke time), I could feel it create bouyancy because it was so dense compared to my finger.
     
  5. winds-of-change

    winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

    29,452
    322
    83
    We did all the time. We kept it in a little jar when we weren't playing with it. [​IMG]
     
  6. rocshaman

    rocshaman New Member

    3,250
    0
    0
    Same thing when I was a kid, the teacher had us pass it around class to check out its properties. I remember it would leave a silverish smudge on your skin. We thought it was cool and we're all still alive and kicking.
     
  7. primer1

    primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

    9,739
    157
    63
    And to think they say it causes drain bramage, jeez to think of all the, the, what were we talking about? :)
     
  8. rocshaman

    rocshaman New Member

    3,250
    0
    0
    Nah we were just tougher kids back in those days. Little battery acid here, little mercury there, no biggie... ;)
     
  9. winds-of-change

    winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

    29,452
    322
    83
    The worst thing about battery acid is it would make holes in my clothes. But it didn't make me stoopit like the mercury did. LOL
     
  10. lbwar15

    lbwar15 New Member

    2,058
    0
    0
    Wow...... I am so glad I am from south Alabama. In 09 I was a sinner in high school. I was in my engine power and performance class. Me and 2 other guys were rebuilding a 52 Chevy. (We were the only ins allowed to work on it) our instructor was messing with us while we was all under the truck one day. He was poking us with a big mercury thermometer. He dropped it and it busted. Me the instructor and the other 2 guys started playing with the mercury. After a few min we cleaned it up and got back to work laying in the same spot the mercury was in. I'm not dead. (Yet)
     
  11. rocshaman

    rocshaman New Member

    3,250
    0
    0
    No kidding, I don't know how many pairs of jeans I ruined with battery acid. I think the mercury made me do it... :D
     
  12. kfox75

    kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

    7,269
    157
    63
    Mercury in thermometers, lead and acid in bateries, lead in our bullets, asbestos in bake pads and shoes, Lead paint, Radiation from microwaves and X-rays. Wow. Non of us born before 1985 should be alive today if you listen to the liberal nanies! Oh well, weall have to die from something.
     
  13. WebleyFosbery38

    WebleyFosbery38 New Member

    7,510
    0
    0
    all legitimate concerns if we were talking about a food prep area, not a Science lab! Seems too few are concerned about a Communist in the white-house! Id rather have a Bowl of Wheaties sprinkled with Mercury powder and drowned in plutonium Milk of Magnesia than the BHO element in Washington!!