Higher end 22lr

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by cpttango30, Dec 30, 2010.

1. CZ 455 switch barrel

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Browning T-Bolt

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Ruger 77/22

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Magnum Research Magnum Lite

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Ruger 10/22 T SS

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you were looking for a higher end rimfire. Not a Cooper or Weatherby XXII but a $500 to $700 rimfire. Which one would you get.

CZ 455 switch barrel

Browning T-Bolt

Ruger 77/22

Magnum Research Magnum Lite

Ruger 10/22 T SS

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Browning T bolt.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Consider a Thompson Center R55. I think they're an outstanding rifle and they're kind of an unknown sleeper. The only negative is that magazines are expensive.

Rimfire Rifles - Thompson/Center

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The Double Helix magazines for the T-Bolt are expensive, too, at fifty bucks.....but man are they cool!

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The only draw back to the R-55 is it has open sights and I don't like the way that looks on it. Plus I am going to be putting a scope on so I don't need them.

6. DPSTX

DPSTX New Member

Winchester 52 reproductions. Prettiest rifles for the money IMO\

DPSTX

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Get a Browning T-bolt and you'll never regret it. I used to have 1 of the old 1s and the newer 1s are just as good if not better.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Can you give me a link.

I don't see where they are still being made. If they are who is making them?

9. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Kinda like this

Savage Arms .22 LR BTVSS

Attached Files:

10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I don't think many people have been aquainted with the Magnum Research gun, as I understand, it is basically a 10/22 combined with a scope rail in a one-piece milled unit, with no way for your optics to loosen, less the mounts, of course.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

They make one of those in .22LR?

12. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Yep they make .22 with fluted spiral barrel real pretty and a very good rifle.

Savage Arms .22 LR MK2 THUMBHOLE (SPIRAL FLUTED BARREL) Bolt Action

Attached Files:

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

There was a specific reason I left Savage of the list. They are hands down the most godawful looking rimfires on the market. I think they look like a half polished turd.

So Savage is out and not on the list Please try again.

If I am going to spend $500+ on a rimfire it needs to look as good as it shoots.

14. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Sorry Tango, I will have to agree to dissagree, this thing is not a " a half polished turd. " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Attached Files:

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Every time I have looked at one and cycled the action on a savage rim fire it felt like I was trying to move the bolt while the action was full of sand. Never liked the trigger either. I don't like that goofy thing in the middle that moves. Screws me all up.

I just don't think the refinement is high enough on any savage rimfire to warrant $500+. I like a high luster blue and walnut gun or a nice SS with a laminate or word stock. If I got the ruger or the MRI I think the stock would end up being switched out with something else.

Have you ever cycled the bolt on a Browning T-Bolt? Or a good winny 52 or a CZ they are like as smooth as a models ***.

We are going to refinement at the $500 to $700 price range.

If I really got what I wanted it would be a Cooper Jackson Squirrel rifle or a TRP-3.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, I saw that in American Rifleman.

17. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I think (if it was me) for that price range, I'd just buy another mossy and about 5000 rds of ammo:p

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well, that's not the question.....is it now partner? ;)

19. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Thats why I didn't vote Dad:p

I don't know anything about the Magnum Research or the Browning.
    If I was gonna do a 10/22 I'd assemble it myself...not buy a "T" model
    The 77/22's are very nice. I almost bought one a few years back, but wasn't impressed with the accuracy I witnessed or had seen reported.
    I've heard nothing but good about the CZ's and would like to pick one up one day myself so i'll vote that one. An uneducated vote for CZ for me.........Better Lon?
    [​IMG]

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Hey, do what you want. I'm just happy to have you back! :)