high velocity ammo in a 22 pistol

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by gadrooning, Mar 4, 2010.

1. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

So I went to pick up some 22 ammo for my pistol. I was informed by the sales manager, who I do know very well, that high velocity ammo is not good for my pistol. Is there truth in his statement. I personally have never heard this and have shot many, many high velocity ammo through my pistol. No problems. What is true what is BS. And if true, Why, other than the obvious fact of normal wear and tear from higher pressures, which I can't see being really a probelm in a 22. Can some one shed some light on this.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What kind of pistol? If it is a quality firearm, it was made by a member of SAAMI. The ammunition was made by a member of SAAMI. The use of SAAMI made ammo in a SAAMI made pistol will not cause any damage. Relax. Pablum Pukers in gunshops...:mad:

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The sales manager is full of doo doo. Any modern pistol in good condition will safely fire high velocity ammo. I've shot untold thousands of rounds through my Ruger mk2s.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I shoot hi-velocity in my Browning buckmark all the time. I also shoot CCI Stingers, those things POP! :):cool:

5. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Certain rifles and handguns built before 1940 will be damaged if high velocity ammo is used. Since 1940 however I dont know of any firearm that can be damaged by high velocity ammo.

6. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Thanks guys, I thought as much but just wanted to hear it form other people.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I even have a crappy old Jennings J-22 that I have shot stingers through. Yea, yea, I know "Jennings Sucks". I have had it for about 10 years. I can't bring myself to get rid of a gun. But, it won't cycle anything but high velocity stuff. Probably about 1000 rounds of Stingers and Velocitors. I keeps working. I haven't shot it in about a year though.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i shoot "hi-velocity" ammo outta my histandard HD military target pistol all the time and it still punches one hole groups no signs of wear and its an ancient gun.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I keep a Jennings J-22 in my fishing tackle box- loaded with CCI Stingers. The springs were set up for the HV Stinger. I have a vintage 1898 revolver that will never see a HV round, but modern pistol- no problem.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Are you shooting an S&W M41?

11. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

I use HV in my Moms .22 Revolver. It shoots just fine.... Maybe He was thinking of Ratshot, Becuz Ive been told thats not good for Rifles or Handguns.

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

So Gad, what kinda gun is it...and where's the PICS???!!!!!

13. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Some of the old High Standards---model A, B and a few others, as
    well as OLD Colt auto's and some old revolvers were not made for high velocity 22. Heck--they were made before there WAS high velocity 22!
    Anything post WWII that was a well made gun when it was new will handle
    high velocity 22's without a problem. Even the ones that were pretty much
    junk when new will handle it OK--for a while.

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

^^^ yerp.

Although, the difference between Standard velo & High velo isn't much.

Remington Target Standard Velo--1150fps at the muzzle.

Federal Lightning High Velo-- 1240fps at the muzzle.

15. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

quickie

I have an S&W .22A semi-auto. I've been pushing aguila super max hyper velocity through it with no problems at all. The ammo is rated at 1750 fps. It's accurateand will group like there's no tomorrow.