High Standard worn out barrel replacement

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Justin H, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Justin H

Justin H New Member

I have a 45 year old High Standard Citation that I bought used 40 years ago and shot thousands of rounds thru it. Replaced firing pin 10 years ago because it had the edge knocked off. It shoots fine. But I know that the bull barrel is worn to some extent. #1. how can I tell if it is worn so much to affect its accuracy? #2. Where do I get a replacement barrel? (I know I can get them online but are used and I don't know if they are in any better shape than mine).

I have old Remington 22 rifles that I don't worry about because they have not had any way near the same amount of rounds shot thru them as my pistol. But a barrel has to wear out eventually.

2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, first off I would ask how does it shoot?

AgedWarrior likes this.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Justin

IMO I would simply set a target out at about 10 yards. Get a good rest and a Bean Bag. Yes just get a Bag of "small' Beans or Rice from the store. Get down on the Rest plant the Grip solidly on the Bag and fire about 10 rounds. If they stay fairly close in the same area the guns accuracy has not been effected that much. You should be able to shoot 10 rounds in a two inch circle. Providing you shoot the pistol properly. You know 1. Support the Grip properly with the Support Hand, 2. Proper Grip, 3. Sight Picture (Front Sight Focus! as you know!) 4. Breath Control 5 Press the Trigger. If it shoots in the 2 inch circle you are for sure good to go. If the Group gets a whole lot larger than that and you have done everything correctly. Maybe a New Barrel is warranted. Of course it depends on what accuracy you expect out of it. As much as you have evidently shot the Pistol you probably have a good feeling accuracy is depleting!

Talking about Bean Bags, I make my own! I go to the store and buy like pinto beans in the Plastic Bag. I then sew the Bean Bag in the Plastic Bag in a pouch made out of material. Mine are Como, because I bought the camo material in the sewing shop at Walmart years ago. And by leaving them in the Plastic Bag the Beans are held in place and also the inside of the Bag is water proof and never gets saturated like regular Bags! Not only that they are light! When Deer hunting on the Lease I tie them together with about a two foot and a half length of Para Cord and throw the Para Cord around my Neck with a Bag hanging on each side on my Chest over my shoulders and climb up in the Deer Stand. As I stated previously they are very Light and Hands Free for climbing! And put them in the Windows of the Stand to rest the Rifle on. In Texas we can get some fairly long shots and a good rest and support is a must. Just some hints for my hunter friends here on the FTF.

4. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

I made sand bags out of the legs of jeans, cleaned and dried sand, sewed the bottom of the legs shut, filled them and sewed the tops shut, they are heavy and that's good, when set in place they just don't move.

G66enigma likes this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a lot of talk about too much cleaning causing excessive wear on barrels. 2 things to look for a carbon ring in the chamber and lead or copper fouling in the barrel. Both can cause loss of accuracy. I picked up a shot out 22lr revolver that actually looked like a smooth bore it was so full of lead. It is fine with the lead cleaned out.

AgedWarrior and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

Numrich used to carry some parts for the HS if he still has any parts left. I'm looking for a slide for my HS model 103 that I inherited from my Granddad.

Is there a possibility one can get the barrel sleeved if the bore is shot out? I seem to remember that is what gunsmith's used to do

7. Justin H

Justin H New Member

oh its shoots great. always has. I always say its shoots better than I do. But I know the realities are that the barrel is worn and will continue to wear. And the barrels will not get easier to find. So should I get a replacement now so I know it will be covered for another 50 years?

Sniper03 likes this.
  8. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not? However, I bet your current barrel will be fine.

I shoot some rifles that are over 125 years old, been through several wars, and they still shoot fine at 100 yards. If you plan shooting longer distance than that, you may need a different rifle. My rule of thumb is, if it will take a squirrel out of the tallest tree on my place, it is accurate enough.

10. Triumphman

I certainly would if you shoot it a lot and other parts to keep it going.

Don't know if you know, but the HS is susceptible to frame cracking in back corner of the ejection area when using performance loads of 22LR (CCI/Stingers/others. They say to only use standard loads like the old Remington or Federal.

11. Triumphman

Chainfire, the Citation is a pistol in this case.

HS did make some rifles within their models, but their designation started with the letter "A" in most cases when looking for parts. Such as A101, A102, A103. This is something I have to watch for, as I have a Model103 Sport King, in which they did make a rifle in this model also.