Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found one of these cute little rascals at the Gun Show this weekend :)

Got lucky & found the owners manual

This is a type II Model B, evidently...lever on right side with button on top.

Interestingly, it says it "Shoots the new High-Speed greaseless cartridge, along with standard makes of .22 Long Rifle High Speed & low pressure ammo with lubricated bullet."

That makes me wonder if it could handle High Velocity ammo, or should I stick to Standard Velo, like my 1913 Marlin 37 uses??

I'm guessing that it's a 1938? or 39?, serial 54XXX, right in the middle of production.

It does have the HS logo on the grips.

I pretty much think it's a shooter...the blueing is a little jacked on the right side...looks like someone stored it for years & it stuck to whatever it was sitting on. Otherwise the bluing on the top & left side is dang near perfect.

Although, I'm thinking Hard Chrome plating might make it really look nice, along with maybe adding some checkering to the front/rear of the grip handle...it's kinda slippery.

The guy said he cleaned it before he brought it to the show...LMAO!!! I could tell there was grit in it when I worked the action there...and could see that if he thought that was cleaning, he needed to rethink the word...LOL

After a quick breakdown (Dang, these are EASY) & cleanup, the guts look pretty good now.
I'm going to test-fire it either mon/tue and then break it down again...maybe polish the rails/slide/feed throat a bit.

I am getting really stoked about this one...I do love older guns, especially if they work right :D

·
Administrator
26,448 Posts
Would stay away from hypervelocity stuff like Stingers, YellowJackets, etc. They were not conceived of when that nice little pistol was made. They will batter the moving parts- and they don't make those anymore, do they?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I'm probably not the only one who would like to see some pictures.......

And High Standards rock.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Check into other sites as well for advice. While I have owned a few of these I havent shot them much. I have heard of cracks developing in these when modern ammo was used, however that could have been older models not labeled for high speed ammo. As far as I know no matter what ammo you use all of them have the same chamber preasure when you are talking high speed ammo.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would stay away from hypervelocity stuff like Stingers, YellowJackets, etc. They were not conceived of when that nice little pistol was made. They will batter the moving parts- and they don't make those anymore, do they?
Oddly enough, High Standard still makes some replacement parts...but I'm not about to use Stingers...
I might be crazy, but I ain't nuts ;)

Numrich has a fair amount on hand as well, so does Brownell's...so I'll probably get replacement springs,
a firing pin, & a few other items IF it performs well at the range.

The guy who owned it last was using Federal Lightning...gave me a box of 'em...

Pics tomorrow, I'm going to bed :D

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Oddly enough, High Standard still makes some replacement parts...but I'm not about to use Stingers...
I might be crazy, but I ain't nuts ;)

Numrich has a fair amount on hand as well, so does Brownell's...so I'll probably get replacement springs,
a firing pin, & a few other items IF it performs well at the range.

The guy who owned it last was using Federal Lightning...gave me a box of 'em...

Pics tomorrow, I'm going to bed :D
If I remember right Wolff makes springs for the HS pistols. New springs of the correct weight can make a huge difference when using modern ammo.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welp, it definitely likes Remington Target Standard Velo rounds :)

Kinda loud, compared to some of my other .22lr pistols...but it feels GREAT!!

I gotta go get more mags...and maybe some Walnut grips from a D/E model ;)LOL

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I remember right Wolff makes springs for the HS pistols. New springs of the correct weight can make a huge difference when using modern ammo.
I will definitely look into that, I've got Wolf springs in my Glock 20...makes a difference, it does :D

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Welp, it definitely likes Remington Target Standard Velo rounds :)

Kinda loud, compared to some of my other .22lr pistols...but it feels GREAT!!

I gotta go get more mags...and maybe some Walnut grips from a D/E model ;)LOL
Let me know if you find a source for orig HS mags. I need some for H-D Military and Supermatic Citation. Triple K makes them, but their mags have always been poor performers for me in the past.

There is (was?) a guy on GB who sells HS grips. He had a decent selection last year, when I looked.

Great looking pistol, congrats. Very nice shape.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
High Standard themselves makes new mags, reportedly they also enable a LSHO feature :)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
High Standard themselves makes new mags, reportedly they also enable a LSHO feature :)
You are right. I just checked their site and you can also order a pistol built by the man himself, Bob Shea. He is a living legend in the rimfire world.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We try :)

I'm more of a Marlin/Calico nut, but this old Model B has definitely raised High Standard pistols into my realm of fun :D

Just emptied a mag last night scaring off a raccoon...I love how perfectly it functions :D

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just found a Nifty Chart which told me that mine was definitely a 1940 model B.
Welcome to Adobe GoLive 5

I LOVE research!! :D

Now if I can just find the correct Pointer grips for it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts