High Standard 1911 or XD subcompact .40

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by JustinM, Jan 2, 2013.

1. JustinM

JustinM New Member

I'm buying one of these but don't know which. I keep bouncing back and forth. I love 1911's and the history but am leaning towards the XD. I'm sure ill be happy with either. I plan on carrying whatever I get.

2. JustinM

JustinM New Member

Oh the Walther PK380 is an option too.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

A 40 caliber in a subcompact polymer frame is not my idea of a good time. Sharp, snappy recoil and a lot of muzzle flip.

Are you planning on carrying either of these? If so, the XD would be my vote. If its a fun gun or range gun, then the 1911 gets the nod.

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yuuuuuuuup!

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Both are good guns. You just didn't provide any info on how the gun would be used. If its CCW, then go with the XD. If its anything else, go with the High Standard.

6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I recently bought a Ruger SR40 - love that gun, not the snappy recoil many 40's have. I am seriously considering getting a SR40-C as a carry option.

This is just me, but I think 1911's are great looking guns, solid feeling, all of that. But they have limited magazine capacity** and I personally don't care for double-action pistols. Plus, the market is absolutely flooded with these things and the fact that everybody has to have one, makes me not want one lol.

**I have seen a lot of comments from folks on this site such as "if you can't get it done with a couple shots of .45 acp, you probably aren't gonna get it done". What the hell ever. My expectation is, if I need to resort to draw and fire, things are terribly wrong and probably confused. If I can put 15 rounds of .40 S&W on a target or MULTIPLE targets, versus 8 rounds of .45 acp? I'll take volume over the stopping power of just one bullet (stopping power ballistics on these two rounds are very similar)

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You mean single-action, right?

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

no, I don't care for double-action (which the 1911 design very much is). My SR40 is a single action

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Oh, I see. I can be such an idiot sometimes....

#facepalm

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

What will you use the gun for? Carry, target shooting, home protection...or a combo of all 3?

For carry, go with the XD40

For the latter 2, go with a nice 1911.

This is just my $.02 on which one to buy depending on the purpose for it.....but to clear up the 1911 SA/DA myth its ALWAYS a SA trigger on a 1911, not a double action. The trigger has one function, not two, despite dropping the hammer. The trigger wont do anything until you rack the slide/lower the hammer.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

A gave the guy a second chance, but apparently it was too subtle. Thanks for clearing up more misinformation in this thread. I just didnt have it in me.

12. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

I couldnt discern anymore from sarcasm or general lack of understanding lol...just had to clear that up! 1911=SA trigger

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'll admit to the sarcasm part. ;)

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That's not entirely true either. The striker on the SR models is only kept partially cocked as the slide is racked, but not fully cocked. The striker is fully cocked and then released as the trigger is pulled. So technically, the trigger on the SR guns leans more toward DAO (double action only) since the trigger is performing two functions with each pull, partially cocking the striker and also releasing the sear.

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

well, Ruger calls it a single action, perhaps they could use your help lol

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

It's all about marketing. I guess if you want to completely technical, the SRs use what's called a preset trigger. Not a true SA and not a true DA.

17. JustinM

JustinM New Member

I literally said I plan on carrying lol. You didn't read.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Ya got that backward. The SR series of handguns have a very short pull double action trigger, seeming much more like a single action than typical DAO and 1911s have true single action triggers.