High quality shotgun ammo...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by GoGlockOrGoHome, Apr 4, 2013.

1. GoGlockOrGoHome

GoGlockOrGoHome New Member

I'm looking for high quality shotgun ammo. Using this for home defense. Looking for buckshot. Any size.
    I not looking for recommendations on what size ammo to use, but I AM looking for an exact brand name and type of ammo to use...I want something accurate and clean

I'll use any BUCK shot. ANY size. 2 3/4" or 3"
    There's SOOOO many different choices for ammo out there at sooooo many different prices.
    I know some of that higher priced ammo has to be worth it somehow..

For example, I saw two of the EXACT same type of ammo (2 3/4" #4 buckshot) and one was twice the price of the other one...
    Why is that?
    What does the better/more expensive one have to offer? Why is it better? What should I look for?
    Thanks
    ;)

2. tCan

tCan Active Member

Anything high brass is considered high quality. Are you looking for an exotic load or just high quality?

3. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I use winchester super X, 2 3/4, unplated shot, 00Buck (9 pellets). I bought some centurion something or other and it's 6 buck behind a big ol round ball and it throws some serious hurt on what ever it hits. I don't know what it's exactly called I lost the box a while back but I still have a few of the shells.

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Have you considered the pdx1? It is a 1oz riffled fragmenting slug with 3 coper plated OO buck.

Attached Files:

5. GoGlockOrGoHome

GoGlockOrGoHome New Member

This is exactly what I'm looking for guys, thank you very much.

Keep the recommendations coming.

6. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I use Federal Tactical buck and slug in my all of my HD shotguns. Not sure it is the best available but I've used it for years and its always been reliable.
    The "tactical" part is it is supposed to be lower recoil but to me it's not an extreme difference unless you are accustomed to shooting 3" magnums. OUCH!

7. scarletma

scarletma New Member

Wow

Now I have to have some, Guess I will do an internet search!
    Not going to eat that goose! It would be ground goose.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I think high quality shotgun shells can be fired in a shotgun under water but check the ammo label and gun's instructions to see if they approve that.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Federal with the "flite control" wad. It parterns really tight. Hornady has Critical Defense that uses the same wad. And I have had better luck finding them than I have had finding the Federal.

Federal offers theirs in 00 and number 1 buck. Hornady has 00 buck only from what I've been able to find.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

I use the federal flight control wad Turkey loads and they are unbeatable

11. sbach311

sbach311 New Member

+1 on the winchester pdx1. I use pdx1 in all my guns. Can't beat it!!!

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The difference is price is from high quality wads (flight control is hard to beat) and composition of the shot. Basic buckshot uses unplated soft lead shot. The patterns can be erratic because the shot get severly deformed when fired. Hard shot improves patterning. Copper plated or even nickle plated shot is best as the shot remains very round when fired. The difference between soft shot-fiber wads and plated shot and patten control wads is night and day. The difference can be 50% better patterns and 2X the price. They can make the difference between 100% hits in a HD situation and one or more fliers bouncing around inside your home.

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Realistically anything in 12 gauge be it high or low brass at home defense ranges is very potent medicine! In most homes it would be difficult to get say more than 30' and 10' to 15 is more likely.
    So basically in my opinion your over thinking this, any 12 gauge round inside your home is more than enough to stop any attack.

14. randy420

randy420 New Member

I use rifled slugs. Haven't had to use one yet. But I will if needed.