High end vs low end shotguns?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Mar 1, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I was wondering, what is the difference in an old $300 sxs that works perfectly fine, and a $100,000 Purdey that other then it's looks and price, seems pretty simular. Isn't a shotgun a shotgun? There is no rifleing, the ammo is the same, but yet there is a huge difference in price. Is it just a status symbol and a waste of money ($100,000 could buy a lot of guns :D)?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

whats the difference between a Chevy and a Bentley? they both go the same speed.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

one of the biggest differences is in the making of them. most production guns today are built by machines, hundreds at a time. a Purdey or some of the other high dollar shotguns are built one at a time by a craftsman who is well versed in building high end shotguns. there is usually a long waiting list, which translates to waiting a long time to have one built and most are custom ordered to the customer. not is there any difference in how they shoot that would justify the price difference? i don't know, as i have never shot something in that type of price range. if i had to venture a guess, probably not that big a difference. but the craftsmanship, the quality of the materials used to make it, and the fact that most are custom made to order, means alot when it comes to a status symbol.

4. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

As far as a persons shooting ability, not allot of difference. I have the cheapest field grade Browning Citori o/u made. Some of the guys I shoot trap & skeet with have 3-5 thousand dollar trap / skeet guns. I shoot almost as well as they do with my entry level gun.

Now don't get me wrong! A quality made shotgun is a thing of beauty. The quality or the steel, the perfect fit, the beautiful stock and forearm, engraving. Come to think of it... Yea, I would shoot better with an expensive shotgun, now to convince the wife :eek:

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

16_Holland_and_Holland__375_Mag_.jpg

Holland & Holland

Merkel447SL.jpg

Merkel

savage.jpg

Savage

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

a rolls royce and a ford pinto will both get ya to walmart one does it in style...

7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It just depends on what you want. A $15,000.00 shotgun will not shoot an intruder any better than a Remington 870.

The high end guns are about art and status, nothing wrong with art or status, but functionally it makes no difference. A shotgun is a tube that directs lead at high speed in a designated direction. The lead doesn't know the difference, but the neighbors might.

8. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That looks like my 410 savage.

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

If one is of the "I can shoot anything with my $200 pump as good as anybody with a $10,000 gun", no explanation on earth will convince them otherwise. If one is of the "I like to shoot ducks with my $5,000 SxS", no expounding on the virtues of a $200 black plastic stocked pump gun is likely to sway them much either. We can debate the merits of build quality, handling, pride of ownership, snob appeal, and anti-snob feelings with no conclusion.
    Different strokes for different strokes is the best way to leave it, I think. Of late, I seem to sense an increased hostility towards the high end shooters from the lower end shooters. Occupy Clays?

10. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

i dont think we buy high or med grade guns to shoot zombies at 15 yds thay are dead with a hunk of pipe and roofing nails

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

a high end gun will still shoot better than the shooter. but the fit finish and pride of ownership will make a differance in your score. if it dosnt sell it and buy another

12. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

They sure look pretty thats for sure. I wouldn't care how I shoot, I would still feel good about shooting. And all I know is I would sure love to have a break open with walnut wed and custom engraving.

13. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Just another bunch of rich folk wasting the money instead of spreading the wealth around man. I propose we occupy FTF. We can use the power of rock n roll to change the world! We can all sing songs and collect our Obama money, man!

:rolleyes:

14. Axxe55

i think many of us would own much more expensive firearms if our incomes would allow it. i know i would. same with cars and with anything, we generally buy what our income allows. i don't fault anyone for spending a very large amount of money on a firearm, just so they don't act as if spending it makes them superior to me.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I go a wee bit more than the budget allows but would love to own a work of art one day.

If you want to see some eye candy, LL Bean has a 100 Yr Ann. SXS - $15,000.

Note: High end shotguns tend to hold their value better.

16. northhike

northhike New Member

Waste of money is relative. For me spending $100k on a shotgun may seem nuts, but to another it is an accomplishment. We buy what makes us happy...or what we think makes us happy. Style is everything. Some of us are simple and some complex. For me I think an old side by side and six shooters would be great to own.....like buying a piece of history. Others could give a crap....if it shoots and launches ammo it's met all the criteria necessary. I have always appreciated good craftsmanship....and I might pay a bit more for that.

17. rachilders

rachilders New Member

You pretty much hit it on the head. I've shot guns that range in price from less than $500 to $5,000 and actually got to shoot one in the $50,000+ range at a tournament once. Personally, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the $5,000 and the $50,000 gun when put side by side. Both were REALLY handsome, finely detailed firearms that got admiring stares whenever they were on display. However, they all used the same ammo, hit or miss their targets based on the SHOOTERS ability vs. anything intrinsic to a particular price range and were the same when it comes to kick/recoil. If you want admiring looks and the satisfaction of owning something made just for you, get a "custom" gun. If you want something that hits what you're pointing at and goes bang when you pull the trigger, get the $500 gun and spend some of the money you saved on lessons and practice ammo.

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

So they are more of a status symbol then anything. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I don't really see myself ever spending more then $1000 on a shotgun. I didn't think there would be much of a difference function wise. At the end of the day, they shoot the same ammo, with pretty much the same degree of accuracy. I think for now, I'll stick to Savages, Stevens, Ithicas, and maybe a Browning. :D

19. Axxe55

it is about status to some degree, and probably most people who have very expensive shotguns, probably started with a $500 shotgun in their past and have made a fortune and want the very best money can buy. IMO, there is nothing wrong with this, and like i said before, if we were in a higher income bracket, many of us would probably do the same. many of this type of shotgun are handmade, custom fitted to the customer and made to order. nothing off the shelf here. kind of like a tailor made suit vs. one off the rack at JCPenney. paying this kind of money pretty much establishes the fact there isn't another exactly like yours. pretty much one-off custom. the materials cost more than most of our shotguns put together and some of it very exotic. engraving and gold inlay, very expensive and handcrafted by artists. if i won a few million on the lottery, i would probably have a $25,000 plus shotgun too and a few other high dollar playtoys!

20. northhike

northhike New Member

You know the only thing I will add that hasn't already been covered is "feel" of the gun which could come back to accuracy. I can tell you that I have both owned and shot a bunch of shotguns in different price points and the feel of the gun and finish once you get to $1000+ is quite different. Actions are smoother, breaks (O/U and Doubles) are easier, metals used can be stronger and often they are less prone to problems. Overall the quality of the gun is better which adds to its longevity.

The real consideration though is what you are going to do with the gun and what matters to you in terms of feel, style and looks. Guns are like woman...some prefer beautiful and maintenance and others like cheap and easy. ;) :D