High cap 9mm glock mags on the cheap : dependable ones?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by wcohio, Dec 2, 2011.

1. wcohio

wcohio New Member

I can't seem to find a 30rd mag for a glock 26 (9mm) that's under $35 + shipping. That seems awfully steep considering I bought about 20 AR15 mags for $15 each. This can't be the best deal around, is it? Also, these sites say these 30rd mags are factory glock mags. I don't believe that. Could it be? Whereabout could I get something cheaper that will feed dependably?

2. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Impact guns.com sells them for $15 bucks and in my opinion if you arent using the mags for self defense carry then it doesnt matter if it is factory or not.

3. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I have had no luck with any other manufacturers glock magazines. They have all been crap. And what previous memeber stated, as long as they're for the range...still iffy but I wouldn't use them for self defense. My dad's pro mag 32 round mag for his g17 has been the only non factory mag I have seen work.

4. wcohio

wcohio New Member

I was considering getting a Sub2000 since it takes the same mags, but for $35 a pop I don't think so...

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

6. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Same experience here. Aftermarket mags are iffy. Don't use steel mags. They WILL chew up your mag release. Good luck.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Glock 30/33rd mags are going to cost way more than AR mags. If the site said the $35 mags are Glock factory mags, then they probably are. I'd say it makes much more sense just getting regular factory Glock 17 mags instead. Much more manageable and almost half the price.

I've also never had good luck with third party mags in my Glocks. A waste of time and money unless you just have to have a bunch of mags for malfunction drills.

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

My Hi-Cap mags

Attached Files:

9. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Eh, $20 extra really isn't that much for a one- or two-time purchase in this hobby. And I'm cheap as hell.

But, it's really a matter of supply and demand. Retailers sell probably 20x as many standard Glock mags as they do the 33rd mags. So, when they buy a few 33rders to keep in stock, they have to account for the low rate of sales. They could make a lot more money and move a lot more product for the same amount of space (in a store) or inventory (for an online supplier), but they stock the 33rders for the customer. Because they know each mag will be sitting on the shelf for weeks instead of days, they have to compensate for that delayed income.

10. wcohio

wcohio New Member

Are those speer lawman rounds? Look like flat nosed bullets

11. wcohio

wcohio New Member

I'm not really "cheap" for the part of a gun, but the mags better be cheap for what I'm used to paying. I can get 2 AR or AK mags for less than one glock mag? I just don't get it. I guess I'll just get more standard mags. Maybe one or two of the hi caps.

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Nope. Those are Winchester 115gr fmj

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well think about it... There are tons of reliable surplus AK mags out there for $10 and the same goes for ARs. Also there are multiple vendors who make high quality AR mags so you don't have to look hard to find good 30rd AR and AK mags for $10-15, even PMAGs.

However it's a reality that double stack pistol mags cost more than AR/AK mags, look at the Hi Power, S&W, XD, Ruger and many others. And often you can get reliable 3rd party mags for them like Mec-Gar.

But 3rd party Glock mags are hit or miss, mainly miss, so we pretty much have to go with Glock mags if we want something that approaches 100% reliability. So you look for good prices online, maybe $22-25 for what you need and of course more for the higher capacity ones like the 33rd. Just be patient and watch for sales.

Also, mags are part of the gun so you want reliable ones.

14. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

As stated, it's a matter of supply and demand. ARs and AKs are the most prolific rifles in the world, and 30rd mags are the standard for them. Thus, there are millions of those 30rd mags out there for them. Conversely, Glock 33rd mags are not standard equipment for anyone really, so given the extremely low relative demand, supply is MUCH lower also, and thus price is higher.

I mean, I also find it annoying that most retailers stock the 10rd mags for my Marlin 795 for like $20, whereas you can get a stock Ruger 10/22 mag for like $12 pretty easily. But, I understand why it is the case.

15. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

And lets be honest, the 33 rnd mag was made for the g18

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

And yet compatible for the g17 and 19.

17. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Its a match made in heaven

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 with the G17 magwell, and the G18 mags are great for that. I have a couple of them that set me back $35 or so each, and that seems like a pretty reasonable price to me. They function excellently. This is the only rifle I own that I consider a practical "home defense" rifle. I also have 3 or 4 of the Korean aftermarket G18 mags (both KCI & Khan) that set me back about $10ea, and have the chewed up ejection port to prove it. They might run 100% one mag, and then have 4-6 FTE plug-ups the next. Very inconsistent. I don't know if they cycle any better in Glock pistols (don't own a Glock), as I've heard mixed reviews. I'd gladly trade my 3-4 Korean mags for one Glock mag. That said, when loaded for home defense my S2K is always loaded with a standard 17rd mag.

The 31rd mags are a nice novelty and can be fun at the range, but they're a little cumbersome for most practical uses. I would think that'd be the case even moreso in a pistol. Again, a nice novelty. But if you're preparing for a situation that somehow necessitates a 30+rd magazine, it really ought be a feeding an AR, AK, or some other long gun.

BTW- In the world of "The Walking Dead", a Sub2000 would absolutely rock. Light, extremely portable, low recoil, and quick, precise target acquisition on anything inside of 100yds. It's a $350 blast!

19. wcohio

wcohio New Member

That's amazing you said that... the walking dead is my girlfriend and I's favorite show on TV ever. We kinda laugh at the gunplay in the show, though, with how inexperienced people are pulling off impossible shots with snap shooting and lax aiming most of the time, but what TV show or movie doesn't?

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I had three KCI G22 mags, one a drop-free the others wouldn't drop. They were inconsistent in my Glock too. They also were about $10 apiece and no extra shipping as they were added to an online order. I finally sold them locally and broke even. Glad to be rid of them and I did tell the buyer about the problems (he just wanted more mags cheap). To me they're not worth the trouble and I'll gladly pay for real Glock mags.