Hidden magazine capacity???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CBH_SR9c, Jun 14, 2014.

1. CBH_SR9c

CBH_SR9c New Member

Was loading my magazines for my Sr9c tonight after giving it a thorough cleaning and noticed that each magazine, my compact and full size, each could hold one more round than Ruger says they should be able to! Pretty surprising... The compact mag is only supposed to do 10 +1, and the full size is only supposed to do 17 +1. In reality, I could carry 11 +1 and 18 +1 if I wanted!!

Has anyone else noticed that, and if so do you think its bad for the mag springs?

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Don't have a 9C, but did and, still do have the Full sized SR9 and several 17 rounders. None will take an 18th round .

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

3. CBH_SR9c

CBH_SR9c New Member

Mine do. Wonder why... Want me to record it for proof? All I'm really wondering is if its bad to do or not. I'm completely compressing the mag springs, so I'm curious to know if I'm prematurely wearing them out if I do.

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Not nec. Are your mags made in Italy or the US? I have two LC9 mags made in Italy that I can fit an extra round in but it damages the spring....
    I have. 6-SR9 mags, all made in USA. I have 8 LC9 mags(5 7rd & 3 9rd) and two of them have a higher "Sheen" to the paint, and are black, but very bright stainless under the glossy black, and both made in Italy, and both could be "8's" if I took off the mag base and lowered the Spring by a bit. I just don't feel like short feeding" or coiling the spring just to get an extra round in the mag when I have others ...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

CBH,

As Bill pointed out, many manufacturers "farm out" their magazine manufacturing to other companies in other countries. As a consequence of this, the magazines are not always made exactly to manufacturer specifications and a short magazine stop may allow you to squeeze an extra round, or sometimes even two, into the magazine. However, these extra rounds can compress the magazine spring more than recommended by the original firearm manufacturer. It has been debated on this forum and elsewhere that doing this may cause the magazine springs to fail sooner than expected. If you choose to load the extra rounds and store them long term in this condition, you may want to check the springs a couple of times a year to make sure they still feed all rounds properly. The springs should last for many years, but you always want to make sure your firearm functions correctly on a regular basis, especially if pushing it beyond manufacturer limits. :)

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

When I worked in manufacturing, doing this would usually get you a rejection. Which is a very expensive experience. Unless Ruger or whoever else is being vague on purpose, and saying "Just make something that works, I guess", there should be no room for "adjusting" anything.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Mossberg shotgun magazines will hold an extra round. I tell my hunting buddies using that extra shot during the hunt is OK but don't leave that extra shot in the magazine long term. The same logic would apply to pistol magazines.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Another thought is that by compressing another round in, one could deform the lips of the magazine leading to problems.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, i use the manufacters specs for such things. they use put a specific number on the rounds a mag holds for a reason. just because you can force another round more than specs say, doesn't mean you should.

the springs, followers and feed lips were designed by people who do such things everyday, and those parts were designed to work in specific manner, to make the gun reliable and to feed properly. there is usually good reason to believe that they put a specific number on the magazine capacity for a reason.

10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Strange, my Mossberg shotgun fits the exact number specified by the manufacturer and not one more.

11. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

if your mossberg is chambered for magnum rounds then you can stack an extra 2 3/4" round in a shotgun chambered for longer rounds.

12. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

my Savage Axis .223 (& everyone elses for that matter) held one more than the manual & the website say it does. I honestly think it's a misprint because it didn't take anymore effort to put in that 5th round than it does the other 4

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

BTW, that gun is going to reject your maltreatment, and jam on you,

just when you need it most. You may not know Murphy's Law,

but your guns do, trust me...