Hi power - purchase

Discussion in 'Hi Power Firearms' started by Ara, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Ara

Ara New Member

Hello-

After over a year of searching for a new hi power standard, I was able to locate one.

The only problem is that the one I located is a mark III. I really want a standard model!

Besides the buleing and the grips, is there any other differences between the 2 models.

Also, is there a reason why the standard model is much harder to locate ?

Is one better than the other?

Thanks

Ara

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I know someone who carried a Browning Hi Power in Vietnam. He swears by the gun. Best damn gun ever he would say.

3. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Thanks for the link!!
    I have a Mk III but was not exactly sure of all the differences.
    I can say that I love my Mk III - the finish is black epoxy and while it may not be quite as nice looking as the gloss Blued finish, it has held up very very well. Grips do not concern me much, as one the 1st things I did was put some Esmeralda's on mine anyway.
    So sights are the only other difference. I may change out my sights one day but I dabbed some Testors fluorescent orange on my front sight post and mine have been great!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. Ara

Ara New Member

Thanks all for the replies / link

Just out of curiosity, is the standard blued model more desirable than the mkiii ( or vice versa?)

5. Mouser

Mouser Member

I acquired my Browning a few years ago...just before the current snafu we're all dealing with. It is a MKIII and I actually ordered it from a store. Just went in and asked if they were a browning dealer. They said they don't carry them much any more as they are expensive and don't sell well.

They said they could order one...I said HECK YEAH! Viola...three days later I was shooting my brand new Browning...my favorite at the time....still love that gun!

Attached Files:

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My first one was a John Inglis that I have no idea how it got down to the lower 48 but there it was at a shop in Dothan AL!. When I had a nice fat (for that time) service paycheck in 1980. I let that go to a Kuwaiti Aviator as a "Gesture of friendship" in late 1990. Said Aviator was riding third chair on a few recons a few weeks prior to the upswing in action and kept us away from Saddam's SAM's...
    The Current one is a Mk III that had dark wood grips that got changed out for rubber ones...5 13 rounders and 2-22 Rounders on the mags. No Shoulder stock but i'D love to find an old one with a stock one of these days...
    I'm looking for a good chest rig for this like the one I had for my 92's and M9...
    Yes Mouser mine looks like yours except more wear...I'm thinking about having one of the smiths stipple the outer trigger guard...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  7. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Take a look at the Chesty Puller Shoulder Rig from Simply Rugged Holsters.
    It is the WWII military style with the strap across the chest.
    I have a Cuda holster from them and carry my Mk III Hi Power in the CP shoulder rig in that.
    Love it.

Oh also you can adjust the leather straps and carry the firearm across your chest (as well as under the shoulder).

8. DrFootball

Thanks! I will look it up....

9. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Looked at the Chesty Puller rig/holster by "Simply Rugged" a while back for my Ruger Alaskan.
    Nice but I didn't want to pay almost $130 for it
    JMO, but Dr Football has the big $. ;)

10. Ara

Ara New Member

Again, thank you all for the great info.

I was able to locate a blued standard version today. The cost difference is a little over $100. $925 for the mark III and $1030 for the blue.

Which one of the finishes (standard blued vs. mark III epoxy) lasts or wears better.

Since I live in California, I will never be able to carry the pistol. It will be used for range and perhaps defense use.

Which would you pick????

11. therukh

therukh New Member

Doesn't really matter...have both...love both! I will say that the epoxy will wear better than the blue, but, with care, they both will outlast you.

12. BrianD

BrianD New Member

Sorry I'm late to this. The big picture here is that less and less Hi Powers get made and imported every year. My advice is go grab whichever of those two you like best if it's within your means. The Mark III is tougher but the blue is sure prettier.

I grabbed up my supply of HP's off the used market, but it took several years of hunting to get it done that way.

13. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Hmmm - in my experience Simply Rugged has been one of the most competitively priced maker of customer leather holsters and accessories.
    The Chesty Puller rig by itself is priced at only $66
    True that you would also need one of their holsters to go with it. So say we are talking about the Cuda OWB holster. That is also priced at approx $60 (and so the holster and the shoulder/chest rig both would drive the price up to around $130).
    But keep in mind, if you are looking to just purchase a quality custom leather holster alone - such as Milt Sparks - the holster alone runs about that much.

The quality of Simply Rugged is every bit on par and comparable IMO and so, by my estimation, it is a spectacular deal for the $$ in the world of custom leather holsters.

14. DrFootball

I would not say that 3T, but I save it up for a few things here and there. In Fact, the most recent holster I bought is an $18 Bulldog Copy of the "Sneaky Pete" to carry the LC when I have to wear "Dressier" clothes like tomorrow when I have to help MzGrn teach the Adults Photography Class @ the Library...

15. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

I have a Browning BDM that is the best I own....wonderful hand gun...

16. GoesBang

GoesBang New Member

I'm looking at picking this one up some time next month (I hope).

Attached Files: