Hi power purchase question....

Discussion in 'Hi Power Firearms' started by Ara, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Ara

Ara New Member

Earlier this week I had to chance to shoot a 9mm browning hi power. After a few rounds, I fell in love with the pistol. Amazing fit and finish. It felt just right in my hands.

Fast forward to today.... I visited several LGS (total of 6) and none had one in stock.

Most gun shops told me that its almost impossible to get one nowadays (not sure about the validity of their statements!).

I also checked a few online retailers and was unable to find one in stock.

Any thoughts on where I can get my hands on one?

Also, is there a certain type (I.e. production date / serial number range etc...) that I should consider if one was located.

Any thoughts and suggestions is appreciated.

Thank you.

Ara

Sent from my iPhone

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Weeelllllll..... my HP is from Belgium, and I really like it, but there are others. Have not seen a bad Browning.

If you go to Gunbroker, use Browning Power as your search words, there are a ton for sale. VERY $$$$ !!!.

And there are also a couple of noteworthy clones/ copies. One is the FM made in Argentina, and one is the FEG.

3. towboater

towboater Active Member

I had a FEG many years ago. It didnt like HP ammo.

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I seen two at an auction today(one older and one newer one). They are not rare.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IME you see GP35s floating around.

There's enough of them in circulation to not make them

difficult to find, if you're patient. The trouble is finding

one in good shape. Many folks dump a gun at a pawn broker

or gun shop after they've boned it.

You can get a similar pistol, a CZ75, in stainless steel, new,

for less than you can get a Hi-Power with worn bluing or other

issues.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sarcoinc has some GP35 clones for sale right now, at

great prices.

7. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

8. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

I have a Belgium Browning but have a CZ 75 on my short-list. Take a look at them -- kind of an updated double-action version of the Hi Power. Today, that's where I would gravitate unless Browning itself meant something special, which it does, but so does CZ.

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

The Browning is about my only exception to not liking 9mm. They are expensive, but imo, worth it.

They also make thesedays in 40 caliberr..

10. Ara

Ara New Member

Thanks all for the response.
    My preference is a brand new hi power. The lgs is able to take a deposit but can not guarantee an eta. They say it could take over 6 months to get one!
    The CZ 75 b is also a great pistol. They are extremely hard to get in my area (I live in Los Angeles) and there's an insane mark up.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I like the Canadian Inglas {P-35} with the tangant rear sight and shoulder stock. :)

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

You could try gun shows. If it were me, I would just be patient and frequent local gun shows and LGSes as often as possible. I know you said new, but I bet if you are patient enough a really nice used one will turn up and save you some cash.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm going to repeat what others are saying. Check out gun shows. I don't think I've ever been to a gun show without seeing a few BHPs. The CZ 75 is also a good suggestion. I have each, and actually prefer the CZ.

There are also many clones (some quite good) of both of these guns. But if handcuffed by California capacity laws, I might just suggest a 1911.

If you hit a decent gun show, you can expect to find a few BHPs on the tables.

14. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Wow, sorry about your issues with finding a new one. Not sure where you are located, but I could point you to at least two LGS's in my area that have at least two or three new ones in stock at all times.
    They sell them between $700-750 too.
    When I say new ones - I mean new in box but old stock. I picked mine up for $699 it was new in box but 1990 markIII.

I see them at almost every gun show I go to as well.

15. Ara

Ara New Member

If possible, Please PM me the lgs contact info.

Many thanks.

Ara

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I was at the Montana Arms Collectors gun show in Missoula, Mt. A fellow was selling Belgium P-35 pistols with two magazines for $550 each. These were LE trade in pistols in 85% condition. :)

17. rfawkes

rfawkes New Member

Gunbroker.com has some refinished police or army turn ins of FN high power hp 35s from Israel. These are FN made and sent to Israel. I bought one today, and can't wait to get it. They range from 369 to 500 depending on condition.

18. therukh

therukh New Member

"One is the FM made in Argentina" I have one of the FM's and it is made of "soft" steel. I put the upper on my regular Browning frame and it is really nice to shoot and is much shorter than my regular Browning. If you're going to shoot one a lot, I'd get a regular Browning.
    I've had many, many Browning's and there is not a bad one in the bunch. I would stay away from the .40 S&W's though as they just don't stand up to the pounding I give them in competition. I've carried them for years, but they are a little heavy for my tastes but they are one of the best pistols out there and are great to shoot. I also would recommend the slim-line Delrin grips from Craig Spegel for a great fit in the hand...even better than Pachmayr or the original grips.

19. jyo

jyo New Member

EVERYBODY should have at least one Hi Power pistol---I've shot them my entire life---still have three...

20. GoesBang

GoesBang New Member

I saw a NIB BHP at a LGS about two weeks ago. $900+ It was a beauty.