hi point

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by CaseyChadwell, Sep 24, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Anyone out there have any real life experience with the high point rifles? Cabelas has them cheap enough down here where I'm at. Thinking about getting one in a 40sw. Anyone have anything to take, good or bad before I drop 349 on the rifle?

2. spack762

spack762 New Member

My buddy had obe in 9mm. It's a descent enough gun. It felt a little awkward in my hands at first, but after a couple of mags it was fun. I'd get one.

3. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Ifs a fun rifle. I bought it for my old lady to shoot. She don't shoot much so now it's mine. It's a fun rifle, shoots like a .22 even though it's a .45. I have put 1K rounds through It and never had issues.

Attached Files:

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out the warranty. It's as good as Craftsman's.

5. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Mister McCool...wow! That is the deciding factor right there! I had no idea their warranties were that good. If the gun is half as good as the warranty, I don't see how you could go wrong. Thank you for enlightening me on that. Your post set it in stone, I will be getting a hi-point 40 carbine tomorrow. Thanks again everyone.

6. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Ive had a Hi Point 4595 TS for a couple uears, and it will shoot anything I give it.
    Shoots pretty accurate also. Fun gun to shoot.

Hi point says clean the bore ,wipe it down , do not dissassemble, send it to them. They may just replace it. Best warranty out there.

My Planet Of the Apes Rifle.....gotta luv it.:D

[​IMG]

Jim

7. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

These are pretty good guns. I have actually completely broke it down, that's a process! I broke it down after about 700 rounds and realized I may never have to do it again. I do believe that you should just wipe it down and punch the bore.

8. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

I'm so-so on their pistols BUT their carbines are excellent. I've owned both. Good feel, very accurate, minimal recoil and very reliable.

9. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Yeah but they'll probably be around longer than Sears. :D
    Havnt had a carbine but I wouldn't hesitate.
    I had a .45 pistol and loved it. I'd buy another in a second.
    Folks whine about them but I think it's mostly people who haven't actually owned them.
    BTW, the only reason I sold my .45 was someone offered me what I paid New. $175. Pretty hard to beat that for an absolutely reliable gun. Eventually I'll pick up another.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The Sears near me closed and they opened a little mail order shop down the road a piece. :(

11. crash11049

crash11049 Member

I had to look at my paper work to see how long ago I bought the model 995
    9mm high point rifle. It was 11/28/03 when I bought and it has had thousands of rounds thru it.
    my 2 sons grew up shooting it till the barrel was too hot to touch.
    In all that time it was never a problem. It broke 1 firing pin about a year ago,
    I called the company and they sent me a new pin and spring free of charge.
    You cant beat service like that!
    Its not pretty but its built like a tank and will shot whatever you feed it.

12. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

A Hi Point is like a sore -you know-you can't beat it.
    Haters abound but it's a absolutely reliable, inexpensive weapon.
    Hammer it, put a couple thousand down the pipe, drag it when your truck breaks fail, the company will make good, even if you're the fifth owner.
    Not too many manufacturers of any product will make that claim.

13. crash11049

crash11049 Member

And there made in the USA

14. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Don't own one personally but I've shot my nephews gun. Personally, I think it's not particularly pretty, has very few options aside from what fits on the guns rails and it's a bit heavy for the size of the gun. OTOH, it was very affordable, tough as nails, has minimal recoil and goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

If they were horses, my M&P-15 would be a thoroughbred and the hi Point would be a mule. Some people want a racehorse while others need the mule. You decide which will fill the bill for you.

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I probably only have 250 - 300 rounds through my 995TS, but it has yet to give me any challenges. It is a fun gun to shoot with almost no perceptible recoil.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have 9mm carbines. They all work good. The most common issue with Hi Points is the magazine dragging the slide. That can be fixed in a jiffy with a mill bastard file. I don't know if I would buy one new. People sell used Hi Points cheap.

17. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

My only complaint is mag capacity.

18. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Gotta agree with Sgt_Skrb_25 on mag. capacity. BTW, don't bother with the Pro-Mag higher cap. option, they are a POS!

19. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I've been looking at a pistol caliber carbine but a lot of them fall under what I consider "stupid expensive" considering what you get.

The Hi-Points generally get rave reviews. I've been looking for one for awhile but they are still pretty rare. The one thing I don't like, outside of the capacity issue, is that the standard stock is butt-ugly. However, there are some decent aftermarket stocks that are functional and much more aesthetically pleasing.

20. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I don't even think ProMag makes them either. I would actually try them if they did.