Hi point torture test

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TankTop, May 3, 2014.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

It's not as bad as you think!!!

http://youtu.be/AbvvurXmAmg

P.S. Totally stole this from another forum

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I for one never thought it was bad. The one I rented jammed horribly, but only because it was fouled up beyond description. Try that with any blowback pistol. I like the scrappy American company that makes affordable firearms. How many more are still there.

P.S. If only they redesigned the smooth grip shaped like a teenager's bowel movement. They totally could make the gun look better.

Last edited: May 3, 2014

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Functional. Not refined. Didn't do well with wet grit. Survives overloads. Not a big economic loss if it does die.

A pretty honest product.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

My little brothers got one in 9mm & he loves it, tough as nails is what he says !............

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I think I speak for many, when I say the product may

be so-so, but the warranty, and company support is

impressive.

A reasonable way to get a financially stressed person

into gun ownership.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I think there is little doubt about the functionality of this brand of firearms. But function is only one of the many aspects that are taken into consideration when most people make firearm purchases.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  7. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I've got 2 Hi-Points. 1-40S&W and a 9mm TS Carbine. Both work very well.

When getting a Hi-Point you got to remember that you're not purchasing "fashionable nice looking" guns. They're a blowback design which has been around since 1940's I believe, which requires a different design to properly work. Which makes them large, heavy and bulky. I'll take reliable function over looks any day. If you have small, weak hands/wrist these ARE NOT the gun for you.

I own a High Standard 22LR and a Bersa Thunder Deluxe 380 and both these Pistols are worth 3 times more and jam more. I've only had 1 jam in my 40S&W, and it was due to me doing a mag dump(after polishing feed ramp and cleaning) and pistol slipped position in my hands. No jams whatsoever in the Carbine in 7yrs ownership.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The 1940`s, I do believe the simple blowback design has been around sense the late 1890`s !.................

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there are much worse pistols available than a Hi-Point.

pros:

decently reliable.
    decently accurate.
    inexpensive.
    lifetime warranty with the pistol.
    great customer service.

cons:

butt ugly.
    top heavy.
    some have problems right out the box. (but, refer to the pros and it does have an excellent warranty)

this about sums up my thoughts on the Hi-Point.

if you can afford better, then there are better options available. but if on a tight budget and need something for SD usage, the Hi-Point is good option to consider.

10. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I know the Mauser Broomhandle was invented back in late 1890's and used very successfully in WWI, but I don't know if it's called a blowback design due to the "knee" action of the slide.

There's also the old Astra's, Jennings and such that predates the Hi-Points by 30+/- yrs, but I can't think of anything older off top of head that are a TRUE blowback system. Browning's came out in late 1899? early 1900's, but they still aren't a blowback design---unless the early models in 38 or 9mm were, but I don't know Browning's early works with pistols.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you can afford it one should get the Hi Point's ugly Austrian cousin. Cuz has passed torture tests that make the test we just saw look like normal target practice.

12. Axxe55

let me refer you to this thread started by one of our members when attempted to duplicate such a "torture" test on his Glock.

i'll reserve my comments.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/failed-glock-torture-test-98411/

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  13. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Auto pistols in this type of torture test is just plain silly IMO, how does that justify the durability of a auto pistol? hell any pistol for that matter.

I personally won't own one, they jam to much and for 2 more bills you get quality in some guns.

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You are thinking of the P08 Luger & not the Broomhandle Mauser, & they are both Short Recoil, meaning the barrel moves to the rear to unlock the bolt !............

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

16. Axxe55

wow, just wow.

that's really deep JD!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Just so people don't think the HiPoint is all fluffy puppies, green pastures and rainbows, there are things that may not be great about them:

Capacity to weight- the dern things are heavy, like 32-36 oz. for a single stack where a Glock or XDm comes in at a significant weight savings with higher capacity.

Thick and tall and heavy for carry.

Trigger sucks...period. Weight of pull, creep, take-up, etc.

Magazine safety.

The safety itself is not super positive.

Take-down is more complicated than other modern pistols (not hard but requires tools)

Grips are not grippy. They slip and slide with sweat.

Slide can be more difficult to cycle for newer shooters or folks with deminished hand strength or disability.

Recoil impulse is unusual due to the heavy slide, blowback design and makes follow-up shots more challenging.

Magazines that may require tweeking to work right.

Reliability may require a trip back to the factory. (They stand behind the product and will make it right, but its kind of like buying an additional waiting period where you may have to be without the gun that you just bought. Hope you weren't really worried about defending yourself right away.)

So, my boiled down interpretation is if you can't affoardable and find anything better, the HiPoint pistols can be made to work. You probably can't find a better backed pistol at that price point.

But.... If you can save up, you can still find another pistol that will offer more in concealability, weight savings, capacity, and general user friendliness.

The HiPoint is a cheap gun that does the cheap gun thing better than many other cheap guns. To some that makes it the top turd on the pile.
    Others tout it as a gem in the rough.

People can do better and people can do worse. It is nice that they are cheap enough that people can do torture tests to destruction without feeling bad about it.

18. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

The 40 s&w Hi-point I had roughly ten years ago jammed so much you could spread it on toast. I thank hi-point however because they are the reason I started searching for real reliable out of the box semi auto pistols. In all fairness I didn't give hi-point a chance to repair the weapon, I just dumped it as fast as possible

Never enough guns or ammo

19. ares338

ares338 New Member

The only problem I ever had with mine was the magazine. The first one I got was junk. I ordered another one from Midway I believe it was and have not had a misfire since. If I run out of ammo then I can chunk it at the bad guys....just not very far.