hi point pistols

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by warhawk77, Aug 3, 2011.

1. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I am thinking of picking up a hi point 9mm. I have one of the carbine 9mm and love it. So thinking about a backup pistol for me and give my glock to my wife.

I also know it is about 50/50 on those that hate/love them. For those that love them my question is. If I buy one that jams a lot what do you do to fix the problems? I know they ate warranty but not sure what that covers.

2. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Scott Mayer, Editor of the Guns and Ammo website made a bet with the President of Hi-Point. He received one of their handguns and the bet was he would either return it in a bag in pieces or he would buy it after a crazy torture test. He now owns the gun...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

3. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I am about 95% sure I won't have a problem but wondering what if. I am sure they are like most companies some times a bad one makes it thru.

I don't have unlimited cash my "hobby" so I like to save on what I can. So to me the hi point looks like a good option. Life time warranty can't be all wrong right.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Never heard anything but awesome about their customer service.

5. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I've owned a 995 carbine. I never had any issues with feeding or firing. I sold it to a friend because he wanted it. I have thought of buying a C-9 as a beater/truck gun. The slide is big and made of zamak, but engineered well. Let us know if you get one.

6. group17

group17 New Member

Go to the hi point forum and search the General Hi-Point Discussion sticky's. They actually have a diagram showing the correct spacing of the mag lips plus lots of user feed back and tips.

Hipoint Firearms Forums - Index

My used C-9 served me well for years until I gave it to my brother for his first pistol when he got into shooting. He has had zero problems as well. Good luck with yours.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I am getting to like these Hi-Point stories.

This is my favorite! The Hi-Point will be used to replace a glock!

I think that speaks volumes about both marks. :p

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I still can't see the point. 3rd Gen S&W police trade ins and even some Glock trade ins can be had for just a few dollars more than a new Hi Point. Why not delay instant gratification and save a few more dollars for a good gun from a more reputable manufacturer? It doesn't make sense to me...

9. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ Those $300 5906 trade-ins do look tempting.

10. group17

group17 New Member

Glock and S&W trade ins for a few dollars more than $150?
    Where might I find those?
    I haven't seen a decent police trade in Glock or S&W semi auto for less than $300.

The point is owning a new pistol with a warranty for $150 that shoots accurately and stays reliable. If you read the 500 threads on hi point guns posted you know what your getting.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i beg to differ there. hipoint is a very reputable company. just cuz the price is cheap doesnt make the company dishonest. ive never personally seen anyone at the range with a highpoint having problems.

12. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Not trying to argue, but what leads you to this statement? Have you had trouble with them?
    I had a Hi-Point .45 and never had a single problem, so I really can't vouch for their customer service, but I have never personally heard of anyone who has.
    The only reason I sold my Hi-Point was to use the cash for another purchase. I'd buy another one in a second if a deal came my way.

13. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf New Member

I actually looked into buying a hi point 9mm last year but didn't have my money situation work out correctly but am looking into it again in about 2 weeks gonna try and get my very first gun! I can't wait.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm seeing various police trade ins for $275 ballpark at gun shows locally.

I've learned the hard way too many times that most of the time you get what you pay for.

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Maybe I've had my head in the sand for too long. But Hi Point doesn't have near the reputation that S&W has, at least not where I come from. I'm not saying anything negative about Hi Point, so don't be so defensive. Just saying they haven't been around nearly as long as S&W and havent build near the same reputation.

16. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

hell, let me know too!

theres no way in hell id by a hi-point .45 for 150. there bulky, ugly, and jingle more than a wind chime. but-hi point makes some of the best barrels in the world.

the reason they went ahead and started making the guns around the barrels is just to have that added money from selling a firearm. for 150 bucks ur basically buying the barrel.

17. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Why would you give your wife a Glock, do you not love her?;):D

18. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

She would be welcome to take the hi point but the glock is a bit lighter. I love my glock but just not in the shape to buy another right now($500-600)

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had a Highpoint 45. Great gun. Never a problem. I only got rid of it because it was to big and bulky. I am considering getting another just to throw into a back pack for an emergency type grap and go bag. I can't see leaving a $900 gun in a pack pack to never get shot. I think a High Point would fit the bill just fine.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not defensive i dont own a hi point but ive never fired or handled or seen a bad one and everything ive heard about their CS is they are a no BS no questions asked 100% warranty type company.

they havent been around that long but i would trust hipoint CS before i trust kimber CS