hi point pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bigdaddy573, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Hey guys I found a hi point for 175$ and I'm thinking about getting it what is your guys thought on them? And this just for shooting paper not for carrying

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Don't have a Hi Point, but eventually will. Just buying pistols that are potential carry weapons at the moment & the Hi Points are just too large & bulky for that purpose. I'd say 95% of the folks that have posted about them have given positive reports on reliability & good customer service. A lifetime warranty with no questions asked & you don't even have to be the original owner. Ugly as sin, but they seem to go bang everytime you pull the trigger. A lot of folks look down on them because of the low price & many of those that bad mouth them never owned one & are going by someone else's opinion who also never owned one.

If you look hard enough, you'll find a few that had issues with them & just dumped them rather than give Hi Point a chance to make it right. That's the kind of guy I'm waiting to meet. I'll give him $50 for his sorry pistol, then let Hi Point pay the freight to send it in for repair/replacement. :)

If I get to the point that I'm ready to buy & haven't found that 'junker', $175 ain't a bad price for a new one, but I've heard as low as about $150.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

3. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright so is 175 a bit to much or is it in the ballpark for a used one

4. mildee

mildee New Member

Buds gun shop. They have new hi points 170-200.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Oops, I'd edited my post to indicate the $175 was a good NEW price, while you were posting this. I've seen new ones many times for $180 or so. I'd offer him something less, but at the same time, since you'll still have a full warranty don't expect him to come off that very much unless he has had problems with it. The $50 I talked about was to someone that was having problems & just wanted to dump it.

6. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Well it's at a pawn shop and they have a couple hi point and a older looking 38 special for the same price not sure what the 38 is I could not make out the name of it at I'm wanting to try a pistol out and like u said so many people talk bad about them and never tryed them

7. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'd be more careful of a .38 special for $175 than a Hi Point. One thing about a Hi Point, it's built h*** for stout & I don't recall any kabooms on them. But, I have heard of some junk revolvers out there so I'd be sure & get a brand & research it, unless it's one you recognize as being good.

8. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Well tomorrow I'm going to look at both of them and and ask the shop owner about it

9. Beardog

Beardog New Member

I have owned 2 Hi Points( 9mm & 40) and have saw at least a half dozen others being shot. All of them went bang well except a brand new 9 that seemed to have a mag problem causing it to jam. I would be more worried about one of the "cheap" 38's out there. ALOT of cheap revolvers are out of time that I've saw. Cylinders that wiggle in all directions! Prob trust the Hi Point....

10. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright all look at the hi points then

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  11. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I got a buddy that got a hi point 9 for Christmas. Took it out the other day, damn thing jammed about 1 out of 4 shots. He thought it something to do with the magazine, I thought I'm glad I spent a little more and got an XD.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

What caliber OP?
    A nine simply isn't worth that, but the .45's msrp is about that price.
    Get on hi points website and look at the prices on their new guns.

13. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

It's a 9 Idk about the model but the price is not to big of deal

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I just checked their site, it seems their pieces have gone up a bit. Just a few months ago you could get a new 9 for about $140. But now they're $175.

15. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

16. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i bought my C9 used last summer for $100 out the door. if you're not opposed to used, keep an eye out you can get them cheaper than the $175 that pawn shop is asking.

that said, i really like the gun & am suprisingly happy with it. i have had a couple issues that weren't anything a good cleaning couldn't fix. in my opinion, the gun kicks alot more than it should but we're not talking anything unmanagable. it is very accurate & one on occasion i consistantly hit a 2 liter bottle at 30ish yards, with a fairly rapid fire rate.

i agree with others that a .38 in that price range is iffy. especially since you said you couldn't recognize the brand name. that tells me you should probably stay away from it

17. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Well Lol went in there and and I was going to get it then I started looking at rifles and now I'm getting a new rifle.
    And I looked at it and it was new not used so I messed up there but now I'm getting a savage 110 for $325

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's a good deal. Enjoy.