Hi-Point handguns

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jtucke08, Sep 16, 2012.

1. jtucke08

jtucke08 New Member

I would like to hear your opinions on hi-point handguns and whether or not you own one.

2. xxbrooksxx

xxbrooksxx New Member

Well they are the best on the low rung of cheap handguns. However that being said they also are well built and can take a beating. For me personally I find them very bulky and heavy. It's a gun that would be hard to use as a conceal piece. But for what they are they are not horrible guns. The warranty on them is pretty good also. Go fire one and see what you think.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

UGLY. HEAVY. BULKY.

ACCURATE. RELIABLE. CHEAP.

Over all its a fun gun to have at the range.

Their pistol caliber carbines are some of the best IMO.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

BTW stop by the intro section and introduce yourself to everybody. Glad your here.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I have the Hi Point 380CF, 9mmC9, 40JCP, 45JHP, and 4595TS. I shoot these guns all the time and never had a problem with any of them. I also have the Phoenix HP22, and shoot it often. I can take anyone of these pistols up against a perp and walk away leaving him wondering if help is going to arrive in time. To some, these guns may seem ugly, they may seem big, they may be too much gun for others. But for me, they are my main battle guns.

6. Bearsdad40cc

Bearsdad40cc New Member

I agree. Really like there Carbines

7. marine04

marine04 New Member

I just got a .45 I traded a .380 Jimenez for it. It's big heavy and ugly but everything I've seen they are tough and reliable. They have a lifetime warranty. I saw a YouTube video of guys trying to destroy one and after everything they did it still fired.

8. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

There are dozens of threads about them on this site, some a are 15+ pages long. Do a quick search and you will find a ton of info.

9. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Put in a bid of 40 bucks on their .45. Imagine my shock when it won. When I got it I found out why. Biggest POS I ever owned. Never went through one mag of ammo without at least two failures to something. The grip was awkward and forced me to hold it high, so every shot bit into the web between my finger and thumb. For being half plastic I was amazed at how heavy it was. Only gun I ever GAVE away without getting something in return.

10. ahamrick

ahamrick New Member

Whats the best ammo for a hi point model jcp .40caliber the weight is 2lb 3oz so its not that heavy as a concealed, i own one just trying to find the right ammo

11. 1911user

1911user New Member

junk they give guns a bad name

12. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Jtucke08, haters will always be there for any firearm so take it for what its worth. I bought a JCP .40 in May and had a magazine issue which HiPoint sent a replacement in 2 days no questions. I have 800 rounds through it and it eats everything I feed it. I keep it on my night stand and have since bought a C9 and have 500 rounds through it as well without a hickup. Find someone that has one and shoot it. Accurate and reliable is how I describe them.

ForumRunner_20120918_082857.jpg
    This was 10 rounds from my JCP and the flyer was my fault cuz I flinched when someone fired a 30-06.

13. marine04

marine04 New Member

A lot of people don't like them because they are inexpensive. They work fine. The rounds feed through it, it goes bang when you squeeze the trigger. It's just inexpensive and ugly, but are tough an reliable

14. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I don't think there are a lot of people who dislike them because they are inexpensive, look at RIA, lots of people like them and they are inexpensive (for a 1911). I think it really has more to do with the look and feel of them. I have fired a .45 Hi Point and while it did go bang and hit the target, I personally would not buy one. I am fortunate to be in a position in my life where I don't have to buy a cheap, ugly gun that feels awkward in my hands. If I had no other choice I would buy one, because they are better than nothing. Cost is always a factor, I still try to buy better quality firearms, even if that means waiting a few weeks or months to save up.

15. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

Had the 9mm, jam-o-matic. Took a beating selling it off.

16. marine04

marine04 New Member

I don't have any problem with mine, but I agree it's better to buy a better quality gun if you have the money to do so. I'm actually making payments on a glock 23 and would trust my life more with the glock, but the high point I have still isn't a bad gun. I'll probably use it for more of a range gun and just something to shoot once I get the glock paid off, but I wouldn't tell someone not to buy one if they are looking for a inexpensive gun to shoot at the range or keep on the night stand.

17. 1911user

1911user New Member

Not a hater just saying there junk and gang banger guns and for people who can't afford something better.but any gun is better than none at all.just watch your fingers just saying

18. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Why is it the people who call guns junk, etc believe their opinion is more valuable than the person who actually owns a gun and reports no bad experience.

Why would someone who has a gun with a lifetime warranty give/sell the gun without even testing the validity of that warranty? And then expect readers follow that their judgement be heeded.

I have a feeling this won't earn me any congeniality awards.

BTW, I don't own a High Point, but then I don't own any $4000 guns either.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  19. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

Any personal experience to back up this statement?:confused:

I own two c9's and find them both to be reliable, accurate, and extremely durable. Yes they have a low mag capacity and a bit bulky, but they still feel good in your hand, have the ability to go threw just about anything and keep on keeping on.

I would recommend looking for one used vs. buying one new; due to the fact that if you have any issue with any hi-point firearm, the company will replace the weapon free of charge, with no hassle whatsoever. (Witch i do know from experience)

20. kycol

kycol New Member

I own three and I like them all. Never had a problem or issue. I do own other more expensive but don't think I can say better because I've had no problems. I do own prettier, but hi-point to me is not uglier than glock, maybe heavier. My favorite 9mm however is my RI