Hi Point Firearms, know the pros and cons!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Thelt, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I have seen the Hi Point pistols in my local gun store for a while. A guy I work with bought a 9mm model a while back. I keep asking him what he thinks of it and he has never shot it. I guess he got tired of me asking so he brought it to me and told me to go shoot it. I did that tonight. I was impressed. I put 50 rounds through it with no failures. I was able to hit with it from the first round. I found it accurate with manageable recoil. It is a much better shooter than the Kel Tec PF9. Granted it is larger and heavier.

It has a manual safety. You must have the safety in the fire position or it will not allow you to rack the slide. It will not let you pull the trigger when the safety is engaged. The magazine release is button just behind the trigger on the right side (where it should be IMHO sorry lefties).

For the price it is a pretty solid gun. I would be confident in it if I needed to use it. I will probably pick up one for myself now. Now I just have to decide if I want the 9mm or the 45. I am wonder how much more recoil the 45 has.

If they can make these pistols in the USA and sell them as cheaply as they do it makes me wonder how much margin Ruger and the other big names have in their pistols.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2010
  2. Freedom-1911

Freedom-1911 New Member

The 45 is manageable but the 45 ammo is going to cost a great deal more than the 9mm which means much less shooting.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

money better spent elsewhere.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Did you field strip and clean the gun?

I suggest you do that before you buy one.

5. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I have not done that yet. Based on your pic I assume that is going to be a problem....

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I assume you would like to do that before you jump into this HiPointie bargain.

Get back to me after you do.

You can PM me if you would like to avoid public embarrassment.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You field strip and clean them? I thought you shot them till they were all gunked up and sent them back to the factory.

8. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

Good plinker, but not a carrier. Yes suck to strip and clean. Yes good to me. Had a 9 for few yrs, bro-n-law had 45 few yrs as well. 45 always better, however my 9 kills his with accuracy and comfort. I have fairly large hands and just don't feel comfy with his. Would be good for beginner like we were. For the money I figure why not.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Na, that's a glock.

Attached Files:

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

When purchasing a handgun, I look at it like I am getting married.
    Would I respect myself in the morning? How about the rest of my life?

Buy the best quality you can afford. You can get a handgun for $150.00 or $1500.00. Compare the $150.00 to the $1500.00 and you will feel, see, sense the quality difference.

11. murraywc

murraywc New Member

I've had mine for a few years. One of the first guns I ever acually bought. It got me started into more. I had inherited a few from my grandfather before it and given a couple by my father. Now i have several more expensive pistols but it is one of the best shooters. I usually run a bore snake through it and spray it with wd40 and it still works good I figure when it stops shooting I'll finally break down and get that roll pin out to strip it. Its not easy but it works really well. Never failed.

12. oyousooner

oyousooner New Member

re Hi Point

I have a C9 Traded it to my buddy. Between the 2 of us has several 100 rounds thru it. Not one mishap I got it back from him, it now is in my car 24/7. The best $150 I have ever spent.

13. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

c-9 and .45 acp

I really appreciate having a c-9 and the .45 acp, they're both good plinkers, our family really enjoy both, they're really manageable , and honestly taking the slide off is very easy, just a puncher and a small hammer, they are really easy to maintain, here both with night sights from glow-on.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rkhal

rkhal New Member

I don't imagine that Ruger has any more profit margin than Hi Point does. Hi Points are a dependable gun for the money but they are a different kettle of fish than most 9mm or 45s. They are a blowback pistol whereas most centerfire pistols larger than 380 are locked breech. In order to control the recoil w/o being locked breech they make the slide a lot heavier which makes the entire gun heavier. This also contributes to their unique appearance. The factory does not recommend that you take them down to clean them more then every 1500 to 2000 rounds. When you do take them down it takes a hammer and a punch.

On the minus side,There are no after-market grips and the only source of reliable magazines except from the factory. On the plus side they have a lifetime warranty even if you are not the original purchaser and when you send it in they send an extra magazine back as a bonus.

I don't own one but my son does and several friends do. While I have found them to be reliable and accurate I think I would rather put my money on a used milsurp like a FEG PA-63 or something of the like.

15. ET1

ET1 New Member

The only reason that I have a C-9 is because my brother gave it to me. Yes it does shoot when you pull the trigger, but it is an inexpensive gun. I keep it in the tool box in my garage just-in-case. I keep a Glock 21sf loaded in my night stand by my bed, a Rem 870 shotgun in the corner, a Glock 27 on my hip & a Taurus TCP in my pocket. The Hi-point's place is to be in the garage in case I need something while I'm working on a car. It doesn't have a place in my safe.:(

16. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I've held a hi-point, it was the oddest handgun I've ever gripped before. I would never buy one of course. I've heard bad things about them, but I've heard bad things about ALL handguns.

I'm sure it's a decent handgun, just a little too clunky for me.

17. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Those who think hard about blowback actions can figure out how to make them full-auto with ease.

Handy for TETOWAKI :) Or New Orleans....whichever you prefer ;)

18. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw some High Point handguns at the Orlando gun show listed for $179. Ran into a guy today who showed a friend and I his. He swears by it, but sounded like he has fired less then 500 rounds with it. I think before I invested in it I would like to talk with someone who was into the thousands of rounds. For $179 I would be concerned if it was going to last very long.

19. ET1

ET1 New Member

They seem to be pretty reliable guns. Hi-Point has a life time no questions asked warranty. It doesn't matter if you are the 5th owner, they fix it free. Yes, it is a cheap gun that can be ammo sensitive, but it isn't junk by an means.

20. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Used guns

I know there is good used stuff out there, but keep in mind without making it a golden rule:

None sells a horse because the horse is too fast.:cool: