Hi-Point - do you own one ?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by krazykeny, Oct 7, 2010.

1. krazykeny

krazykeny New Member

Thinking of getting a Hi-Point. In .40sw, or .45acp.

Does anyone actually own one?

-

2. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Save your money for something better!

That company did produce reliable handguns in the mid 1990,s as I own one!
    But, they chose to go the cheap quality route like Jennings/Bryco did. And
    now they produce worthless guns as well! Get yourself a Makarov or a
    Tokarev as these surplus Russian handguns are now the best deal on a "old-
    school" manufactured firearm that will "fire everytime you pull the trigger"!
    The Russians have a long held reputation for "overbuilding" things, yet making
    the product uncomplicated for their use! Pop & I own mac handguns & I
    became a proud owner of a mosin/nagant rifle this spring that performs as
    well as my Winchester model 70 with iron sights!:)

3. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Save your money you can get a good used gun. Hi Points are ok for plinking gun I would trust it for anything else.

4. group17

group17 New Member

Try the seach function or look at the bottom of this post and click on one of the other listed hi point posts. I think there is a post every other day about Hi points.

Or try the high point forum. Hipoint Firearms Forums - Index

5. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

As a gun dealer I sell lots of Hi Point guns, rifles as well as handguns. I also sell Cobra, Phoenix Arms & Jimenez in my line-up of "Crappy Guns". I want you to know that I have had more trouble with S&W, Beretta, Para Ordnance and Taurus guns, sales of the higher price guns were maybe 10% the amount of my "Crappy Guns" and I still have to hope every time I sell what should be a good named gun that it doesn't come back later. As a result I would unreservedly recommend a Hi Point to anyone seeking a great, inexpensive plinker-type gun. Never forget that the Hi Point comes with a 100% covered factory warranty and you can always sell it later if it doesn't suit you.

6. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

I have never shot a High Point pistol but I have shot a High Point Carbine rifle in both .40 and 9mm. Both were very accurate, well built fun guns. For under $200 you can pick up a nice rifle that is fun and cheap to shoot,

7. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Nice sales pitch :p

I had a C9 and I would be lying to say I never had problems but hipoint replaced the pistol and it worked great afterwards(had ejection problems). I honestly got tired of defending the hipoint so I sold it. It was accurate but ugly as stink as everyone already knows.

Saying a hipoint is reliable as Glock/xd/m&p even if true will just cause people to ignore you. I had one and it was no where near as reliable as any other firearm I have owned and lucky it has a lifetime warranty otherwise mine would be in the dump right now.

8. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

I used to work at a shooting range where all types of guns were rented to the public----I always hated to rent the Hi Point, whether long gun or short, because I knew the renter would come back PO'd due to jams of one type or another ! This went on until the range owner finally disposed of the Hi Points ! Do you really want one ? :confused:

9. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

I have a C9 and the 995 carbine. Love them both. The only time I have ever had a FTF or FTE was when the things were so dirty because of the # of rnds that I put through them. I dont mind defending Hi Point they are a reasonable inexpensive fun firearm. I have put rnds through them that would not fire in anything else I own including the will never fail glock. In short Glock, Smith & Wesson, Rugar and many others make a good weapon. They would have been sued out of business by now if they didn't. I have to say on a closing note that my Hi Point,Taurus, and Rock Island are my favorites to shoot. Bought a Kimber great firearm yes, sold it way too much money wrapped up in one gun. Had a Les Baer that was a 1200.00 piece of junk!!!! Price doesnt always mean it all.

10. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Hipoint sidearm?

Well, I trust my early 1990,s Hi-point with my life as my hunting sidearm
    when I hunt big game, but it is too bulky for concealed carry! The "ratings"
    of newer ones I have read about have been "unflattering to say the least"!
    My old one fits my hand very well & 3shot bursts hit the target very well @
    the range! The only other handgun that I am a better shot with is a Luger!
    Beware of cheap handguns as I have been burned by the likes of jennings/
    bryco & "RG" to name a few! :rolleyes:

11. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Hi Point fan boys only

acp .45, 40s&w, c9 9mm, 995 carbine.

Which is better, all are good tools.
    The favorite in the family is definitely the carbine, that is a fun plinker.
    My fav is the 40 caliber. Hefty but hey, I get better groups with this one, it seems natual to me o shoot the 40 caliber.
    My wife and daughter prefer the 9mm pistol.

If you are going to use it a lot , I 'd get the 40 since the ammo is a bit cheaper, if you are going to be shooting loads and loads down the range the 9mm is better, again, the ammo price is better.

This is specifically for Hi Point fan boys, feel free to change channel if you don't like Hi Points
    here a C9 with ghost ring
    [​IMG]another where I cut the ring in half for a cool half ring sight
    [​IMG]

So my favorite is the 40, and by the way best guarantee around

The orange is being tested, is day use mainly, real luminescent, charges in a second but is short lived, the green is our regular super phosphorescent, will last hours,( of course the cycle repeats itself, good for ten years)
    Amongst phosphorescent pigments , the best, If you'd like a sample PM me, Gato.
    [​IMG]

12. gdad

gdad New Member

I have a .40 pistol and .40 carbine. The carbine is great, very pleased with it. I had the .45 pistol and 9mm have sold both those. The .40 and .45 fired flawlessly without any problems what so ever. The .45 just made me want a little nicer pistol, so I bought a Bersa Thunder UC45.(love it). The 9mm was a piece of crap. I realize that it has a warranty etc.,and many say they have no problem with it, but the guy that got it is going to send it in. It jams and flips the cases backwards inside. (dont know how). A Bersa UC9 will fill its place. I have a Kel-tec sub 2k that I prefer over the carbine, maybe just because I can use Glock17 33 rnd mags.

13. allmons

allmons New Member

Never a problem with Hi Point

I wasn't really interested in High Points, but my son bought one last year - a .40 cal handgun - and I was impressed with function and pointability. Granted, NOT attractive weapons, but functional. I was impressed enough with his .40 to buy the better half a 9 mm Hi Point Carbine, then picked up a 9mm pistol also.

love 'em, shoot 'em all the time. My carry guns are a Glock 21 in .45 acp or Rock Island Armory .45, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the Hi Points!

Much like an earlier poster, my only warranty returns for repair have been on a Colt .45 acp and a Rossi .357. The warranties were honored on both, but I could buy 2 High Point Pistols for the price of the Rossi, and 3 Hi Point carbines for the price of the Colt!

In fact, the Colt .45 was the most jam-o-matic firearm I have ever owned! Bottom line: if you want to try the Hi Point firearms, I say go for it. If you hate it, you can always sell it.

There are many of us who are not gun snobs!

;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  14. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

"There are many of us who are not gun snobs!"

I like that!

15. allmons

allmons New Member

Thank you, sir!

If it goes "bang" and I can own it, I like it. Sure, if someone else is paying the bills I'd go with $6000 rifles and $3000 shotguns.

But even then, I would still like the cheaper guns as well! I must note that the Colt 1911 I referenced above jammed more than any Jennings or Hi Point or Iver Johnson I have ever owned!!! You should not pay north of $800 on a PISTOL, then HAVE to have it profesionally 'smithed to MAKE IT FUNCTION.

I am a snob about who I vote for, but never a snob when it comes to guns.

:D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  16. Morgo

Morgo New Member

Hi-Point, No. Hi Power, Yes :)

17. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Surprise to hear you had the Colt 1911 jam so much, when I used to go fire the Delta Elite with my dad, it jammed once in maybe 2000 rounds. As far as Hi-Point goes, I've never owned or fired one, but, from what I heard, they are good for the price. They are not designed to be HKs or Kimbers...basically, you get what you pay for, and for 140 bucks it seems like a good deal. I may buy one just to check it out.

18. patret

patret New Member

The High Point is blowback or as some people say, recoil operated. The trigger pull is heavy to say the least. They would make a good truck gun so if someone stole it, you would have not loss very much. You get what you pay for most of the time.

patret

19. Underdog

Underdog Member

Yes

I have the 995TS Carbine and it has served it's purpose well. It's very accurate and functions great. I use it for HD and a great all around fun range gun, well woth the $225 I paid for it. Actually planning on buying the new .45 carbine that just came to market, every conservative 2nd amendment loving homeowner should own at least one!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  20. blueridgerunner

blueridgerunner New Member

Had a C9 and had zero issues with it's operation. It was, however, not a good CCW as it was way too heavy.