Hi-Point Carbine Rifle question

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Beastazz, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

I am 14 and am interested In semi auto rifles. I have a 10/22 that I enjoy but I would like to upgrade to something with a bit more punch. I don't want a AR being 14 I think that's a bit much. I was considering a SKS but I saw a hi-point and it looked pretty cool to me. My question is are they even worth considering or is there something better. I rebuild firearms with my grandfather and so I have seen many firearms but I am not very educated on the hi-points. What's yalls opinion on them?

2. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

just make sure you go to the right section lol AK/sks

HI-points are cheap but they are what you get cheap I have seen some good bad and ugly my friend returned a 45 cal one 3 times for different problems. Also being 14 I know in my area you can't buy anything with a AK action I do not know if a sks falls under that tho.

3. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

What types of problems do the HPs tend to have

4. chevyforlife1972nova

just cheap made alot of plastic there not quality guns

5. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Yes I see, well I wonder if I would be better with an SKS and a new tactical stock for it?

6. chevyforlife1972nova

have you looked up if a sks is a assault rifle in your area? plus you have 2 wait until your 18

7. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Yes, I have. They are legal and my father will be purchasing it for me like all of my other firearms.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

You woul probably have an easier time buying "rifle" ammo for the SKS than pistol caliber ammo for the high point.

Many people like the High points; i haven't owned one yet.

9. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

Highpoint carbine

I had a 9mm high point, couldn't kill it. A much more difficult gun to dissasemble then the sks. I live in NJ strict gun laws, but as long as u keep it a fixed mag it's not considersd an assualt weapon. Personally i would go with the sks, lots of parts and accessories reliable, and rugged. What ever weapon u choose, always apply all the safty rules and have an adult present, when using live ammo. Good luck and have fun.

10. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Thx think an SKS is the way to go.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm not sure of the regulations in your area, but in MS, the SKS will allow for a lot of options in terms of configuration. You will of course have to mind the feds' 922 regulations if you start reconfiguring an SKS; basically if you make changes, you will probably need to replace some foreign-made parts with U.S.-made parts. Tapco sells a "compliance kit", might be good to look it over if you are planning changes: TAPCO - Section 922r Compliance TAPCO® INTRAFUSE®

My SKS is sitting in a tapco collapsing stock with some tapco internal parts and magazines presently, but it performs well in the other stock as well. Many people STRONGLY prefer the original, tried-and-true, configuration.

12. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

high point carbine

Hey no problem. try and get a screw in barrel, check the bore. I have a 51 Ruskie, but they r all good. Right now i'm looking to buy a yugo. Good Choice"

13. orangello

orangello New Member

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-sks.html
    I haven't bought from this place myself, but they do have the older M59 yugo's without the grenade launcher for like $330.

14. chevyforlife1972nova

plus walmart wouldn't sell you pistol ammo even at 18

15. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

High point carbine

Orangello thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. I much rather have the 59.Good price too...

16. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

look for a used mini14, they can be had for about $500, I know thats twice the amount of a HP but more than twice as good quality

17. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

What caliber is the 14?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

18. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

it shoots .223 (5.56 nato) or you can get the mini30 that shoots 7.62x39 (same as SKS)

19. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

High point carbine

The mini is a good gun i personally like the 30 7.62x39, My sks gets better grouping then the 30 i used to have. That said their r alot of goodies out there nowdays for the Ruger. A little more $, but good choice.

20. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I have a hi point 995 and while I have not shot a ton of rounds I have disassembled it and it is not made cheap. Every review I have seen on the carbine is good.

The hi point pistol did have some mag problems but I think those have been worked out but the damage to the rep is already done.

I say you can't go wrong with the hi point carbine for less than $300. But if you can get a SKS or AR you will be happy with it also.