Hi-Point Auto Pistols

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jd45, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jd45

jd45 New Member

I just heard about these today at a LGS. Guy said he's bought 4 of em for himself & sons & loves em. If you're shooting one of these, what's your opinion of it. Thanx for the feedback, jd45

2. jarrodsquito

jarrodsquito New Member

They are big and clunky...would never want to carry one...they seem to be hit or miss...I hear from students that love them and say they never have a single issue then others say they have nothing but issues...i know the dummy ammo we use in classes will not extract from them (have never once had a problem with any other make and have never not had a problem with hi point)...the carbine seems nice and the only difference in the action is a double extractor...I actually live in the city where they are made

Richland County Ohio CCW Classes

3. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I have bought 4 of them and love them. No they are not that good for carrying but in the home or range they are awesome and the c9 is very very accurate

4. Palms

Palms Member

Bought 9 and 45 for less than $350. Really incredible bang for the buck. Never ever had problem combined over 500 rds between both. Sold because of flack, criticism of non owners at range, friends, etc. But, did try them both out and no complaints from either. Too bad for bad rap on American co. w/lifetime warranty but there are certainly many detractors out there. I'm not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have one in 45 ACP and have never had an issue with it. They are not a carry gun for most. They are big,and ugly but when you pull the trigger they go bang and they are pretty accurate.. I use mine for a truck gun when I need one but mostly it stays in the night stand for home defense. The expensive shoot'n irons stay in the safe. If someone breaks in and finds it I have lost 180.00 bucks including tax. The biggest draw back I have is cleaning and I can live with that.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

They are they single toughest pistol out there.

Hi point has the best warranty out there.

Hipoint will fix any issue.

If you get one that doesn't work from any legal source hipoint will take it back and fix it or send a working one.

Most hipoint issues stem from people not cleaning the packing grease out not lubing it afterwards and just shooting.

While they are big clunky low capacity monstrosities they are rugged and work damn well.

7. jd45

jd45 New Member

Thanx for the prompt replies guys. My shootin buddy told me they're not a carry-type weapon. I'm lookin REAL hard at the .45 gun.....9 shots, polymer grip frame, weighs only 35 oz. I was thinkin I wanted another 1911 type, then I started lookin at the Glocks, but this will be just the ticket with me on a fixed income now. 200 bucks & I'm in business, except for reloading dies & components. jd45

8. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I dont own i Hi-point, But my roomy (RG) owns these 2, from what i know they have both been reliable. We have run the rifle real hard a few times, what a blast to shoot....It's 9mm so not too expensive to shoot. My truck / camping gun is an old beat up SKS that i just love, If i didnt have that, i would be buying a hi-point rifle....

Attached Files:

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Triggers are horrible, mags are finicky, feels like you have a brick sitting on top of your hand. Recoil is ka-chunky.

But, they do work, they have a great warranty, and they are affordable. I can recommend them to people on a budget and know that even if they pull a lemon, that the company will make it right.

So, as much as I may not like the way they handle, there is only so much bad mouthing I can give them.

10. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

If you get a functional hp it will be the toughest gun you own. If you get a pos hp, send it back and they will fix or replace it. I just think they are ugly and look cheap ( which they are) and are overly heavy for a polymer gun. I had one that jammed so much I could have spread it over toast. In fairness I didn't give hp a chance to fix it and I upgraded to a better pistol. If all I could afford was hp I would do it

Never enough guns or ammo

11. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

My roomy (RG) works at our LGS, she says HP customer service is better than most of the big name gun manufacturers..and if you have any problem with their products, send it to them. When you get it back, it will run as good as ANY gun you own...

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have several Hi Point 9mm pistols and a planet of the apes carbine. My idea of caring for them is to pull the slide back, if it sounds dry I spray some CLP on the gun.

Other forum members mentioned the Hi Point magazine. The Hi Point magazine doesn't fail in the traditional sense. Hi Point ships their guns with a magazine that is rubbing the slide. One either has to file the slide down until the gun functions properly or they can call it a POS and sell it to me for $50. That is how I got all the Hi Point pistols I own now.

In Ohio many gun ranges have Hi Point only matches. A Hi Point match is low budget shooting it's finest. These matches have high turnouts and the few matches I shot in had many female competitors.

In the IDPA type matches shooters are achieving the same times with a Hi Point as shooters with guns designed for IDPA (under 25 seconds). The Hi Point bullseye matches are as competitive as it gets with box stock pistols. I wish I could spend more time in Cincinnati. I really enjoyed competitive shooting with a Hi Point.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  13. jd45

jd45 New Member

One question I have is how much of the case head is supported by the rear of the barrel. I've heard that's a concern. The Glocks come up related to that, I'm told. I tried to call Hi-Point all day yesterday to ask about the issue.....never got past the busy signal. jd45

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

duplicate...............

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would look at the 40 cal Hi Point. 40 cal is one of the bright spots in todays ammo shortage. I can usually get 40 cal ammo for the same price as 9mm ammo. Check out www.ammunitiondepot.com www.sportsmansguide.com. Shopping for the best price is easy using www.ammoseek.com and www.gunbot.net

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

So I'm reading here they're big, ugly, blocky, but function very well.

Sounds suspiciously like a Glock. Except a third of the price.

Hmm...

17. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I think thats how they got the nickname "poor mans Glock"

18. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Bigger, more ugly, more blocky, heavier, less capacity, more problems right out the box. Most make a trip back to the factory before they are "as good as a glock", and this is from a couple of guys I know who sell them

Never enough guns or ammo

19. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

They also look a whole lot better than a glock.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Hi-Point is not a carry type gun. it's top heavy, blocky and ugly as sin. but in it's defence, it's damn good choice for someone on very slim budget who needs a dependable SD/HD pistol. yes, there are much better choices, but if you are limited in how much you can spend, it's not a bad option to consider, especially since it has a pretty damn good warranty.

not everyone can afford to spend $300 plus for a pistol for SD, and Hi-Point stepped up the the plate and brought a dependable inexpensive gun that fits right in. you might luck into a higher quality pistol used for the price of a new Hi-Point, but i doubt you will find another pistol new, that's higher quality for the price.